The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

19 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

What absolute dross :lol: 

How do they get away with printing this muck?  :angry: 

"The former Celtic midfielder has hit out at Scotland's clubs for not thinking about the impact the move would have on the game"

I would say that it's much more likely that he's not thought about it. At all. He's just trotted out the usual OF sycophantic pish with little regard to important things like facts and stuff. 

As for the impact it all had? Wasn't too bad at all IMO.  It all went rather well actually. 

FWIW I voted no. 66% voting yes at the moment :o  Frightening. 

Who do you think is voting? 

41 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

FWIW I voted no. 66% voting yes at the moment :o  Frightening. 

Got to remember it'll be largely Rangers fans voting on it.

"“Celtic and Rangers, in years gone by, provided a lot of players for the national team and it’s mainly Celtic now. That’s the bigger picture and people hadn’t really thought it through. Nobody thought, ‘Well how is this going to affect Scotland, the league itself, Glasgow as a city?’"

I'm sure Glasgow the city coped just fine. 

Their first season after 'demotion' the following youth players were released -

Gordon Dick, Ewan McNeil, Anthony Marenghi,  Adam Hunter, Adel Gafaiti, Josh Robinson, Jack Werndly, Robbie McIntyre and Sam George. I've only heard of 2 of them since then really.  

Our last competitive match before Rangers disappeared was away to Spain in October 2011.  The starting line up that day and their youth team -

Allan McGregor (Rangers) - Alan Hutton (Rangers) Phillip Bardsley (Man United) - Christophe Berra (Hearts) Gary Caldwell (Celtic) Charlie Adam (Dundee) - Darren Fletcher [c] (Man United) James Morrison (Middlesbrough) Craig Mackail-Smith (St Albans City) Barry Bannan (Celtic) Steven Naismith (Rangers and then Kilmarnock)

Hardly anything crazy and nothing that we needed to be over reliant on.  Back then you could have had Craig Gordon in goals and Steven Whittaker at right back.

Rangers had the perfect opportunity to develop it's youth when they went down to the bottom league.  They could have put all their money into youth development and created a team full of talented youngsters.  Instead they wasted all their cash on shite like Kevin Kyle etc.  It's not anybodies fault that Rangers have only really produced Barrie McKay recently other than Rangers.

Edited by The Minertaur

2 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Got to remember it'll be largely Rangers fans voting on it.

"“Celtic and Rangers, in years gone by, provided a lot of players for the national team and it’s mainly Celtic now. That’s the bigger picture and people hadn’t really thought it through. Nobody thought, ‘Well how is this going to affect Scotland, the league itself, Glasgow as a city?’"

I'm sure Glasgow the city coped just fine. 

Their first season after demotion 

Stopped reading after this. You're Paul Lambert aren't you?

7 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Rangers had the perfect opportunity to develop it's youth when they went down to the bottom league.  They could have put all their money into youth development and created a team full of talented youngsters.  Instead they wasted all their cash on shite like Kevin Kyle etc.  It's not anybodies fault that Rangers have only really produced Barrie McKay recently other than Rangers.

This is the part that always baffles me.  It wasn't good for them that they started in the bottom tier, but they could have made the best of the opportunity.  Put most of their money into developing the players that would form their core as they rose through the leagues and pick up cloggers on one-season contracts to get you through the tougher games.  It really was that simple, yet they fucked it up and are still paying the price, quite literally.

Of course the journalists - whether print media, radio or TV - never have the courage to actually challenge any of the assertions. There is an assumption of truth and a mandatory sycophancy.

What impact did it have on the rest of the Scottish league? Well, the TV deals didn't collapse; no clubs went bust (never mind 4 or 5 SPL team before Christmas) - indeed the debt situation for most clubs has markedly improved; crowds have actually gone up; European places have been shared around; cups have been shared around like never before. Claiming it harmed Glasgow as a city smacks of the "social unrest" warning i.e. tripe.

It's astonishing how ungrateful some of their fans are that their new club was fast-tracked into the league. They could have been fucked off to the Juniors. Which would have made the Juniors forum on here absolutely riveting reading TBF.

You genuinely get the impression that the "never forget" brigade wouldn't have been happy with anything less than Scottish football coming together to pay off the old club's debts and set them up with a nice wee warchest to take on the evil **** (for the good of Scottish football). I don't know how you end up with that level of entitlement.

15 minutes ago, forameus said:

This is the part that always baffles me.  It wasn't good for them that they started in the bottom tier, but they could have made the best of the opportunity.  Put most of their money into developing the players that would form their core as they rose through the leagues and pick up cloggers on one-season contracts to get you through the tougher games.  It really was that simple, yet they fucked it up and are still paying the price, quite literally.

Exactly.  In the Banter Years thread I posted some of the youth players that they had at the club when they were in Division 3 and they had a strong team with a number of them now at Championship level at least.  They totally fucked it though because the fans wouldn't have had the patience if they weren't thumping teams every week.

1 hour ago, shootingboots said:

Who do you think is voting? 

Oh I get it alright but this type of guff gets pumped out regularly because that certain 'element' swallows it every time hook, line and sinker. 

Sells papers at the end of the day. They'll print almost anything to ensure that continues. 

1 hour ago, RiG said:

He's got a point TBF. When I was at Hampden seeing my beloved ICT lit the Scottish Cup trophy for the first time in the clubs history all I could think about was "Well this is pleasant but my goodness, wouldn't it be better if Rangers were playing instead of ICT?"

I'd of preferred it if we weren't playing Inverness.  Well after the game anyway

The inconvenient truth for a lot of these "journalists" who keep claiming that Rangers re-starting in the 4th tier was bad for Scottish football is that Scottish clubs are as financially stable as they have been in a long time.  For most of the 2000's administration events had become almost an annual occurrence and a lot of clubs were lurching from crisis to crisis but there hasn't been a team to go into admin since Hearts in 2013 and they were already going off the rails on a crazy train long before Rangers were liquidated.  If anything Scottish football is better off for Rangers going bust because it was real wake-up call to chairmen up and down the country that unsustainable spending and stupid amounts of debt will only lead to your downfall.  

It's absolutely beyond question that Rangers going bust and starting again has been a sensational boon for the whole nation.

Trophies spread around, the 'bloo poond' spread around wee teams, attendances up, interest in the game up, the utter, UTTER hilarity of everything from death to 'rebirth' highlighted in the Banter Years thread, even Shull's local underwear emporium seeing record profits.

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm sure clubs aren't allowed a SPFL membership without three years of audited accounts. There shouldve been an application process for clubs to put forward their proposals as to why they should be allowed in.

They completely ignored their own rules to shove Sevco into the bottom tier. A truly staggering show of favouritism, which proved undoubtedly they don't have a neutral view of clubs, which I'm always surprised hasn't had more of a backlash.

This is a myth.  There was no requirement for 3 years of audited accounts, nor for an application process.  The SFL could admit a new member based on any criteria it wanted.

22 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This is a myth.  There was no requirement for 3 years of audited accounts, nor for an application process.  The SFL could admit a new member based on any criteria it wanted.

As usual RandomGuy proves himself to be a fucking imbecile :lol:

4 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

In fairness, I did see the Scotsman putting the word 'demoted' in quotations to emphasise the fallacy of it.

Saw that in the BBC Gossip column but earth shatteringly it was the Daily Ranger that used the quotations...
Former Celtic midfielder Paul Lambert has criticised the decision to "demote" Rangers in 2012, saying rival clubs failed to think about the impact the move would have on the game and the international team. (Daily Record)

Obviously someone will be signing on today.