The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On 11/17/2017 at 14:10, lanky_ffc said:

SSN had some magazine editor on yesterday explaining why Peru were above England in the FIFA rankings. His answer was that they'd played 18 games in WC qualifying whereas England had only played 10 plus friendlies.

have just binned my sky subscription - glad to be rid of fucking trash that feels the need to piss resources away to "explain" something as blindingly obvious as that - particularly if their "explanation" is as cretinous as that...

18 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Absolutely loving John Hughes here - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-hughes-insists-managerial-record-11560525

“I left Falkirk. What happens? They got relegated and have never been in the top flight since because of my standards. I also got them to the Scottish Cup Final. I leave Inverness. What happens? Relegated. I won the Scottish Cup and got them to the League Cup Final. It’s not bad."

Some of the quotes - as usual - are sensational. "I don't self-promote but..."

Edited by Darren

3 hours ago, List_of_Jericho said:

Daily Record comparing the cost of the likely starting XI for Celtic and PSG tonight.

I must have missed the one they published at the weekend comparing the costs of the Ross County and Celtic squads?

It's the way that the coverage of instantly pivots to  "Celtic as plucky underdogs" when they are playing in the CL, when no such allowances are made in week to week league football. Where Man City or PSG are spending their way to titles, diddy clubs here are lacking ambition and failing to provide Celtic with sufficient challenge

13 minutes ago, Darren said:

Some the quotes - as usual - are sensational. "I don't self-promote but..."

Whenever anyone says "I don't (insert action), or "I'm not (insert character trait) but.... you should be very wary

I love the top class name dropping here: “I like to work with young players like Kasper Schmeichel and Tim Krul". 

Edited by senorsoupe

5 hours ago, List_of_Jericho said:

Daily Record comparing the cost of the likely starting XI for Celtic and PSG tonight.

I must have missed the one they published at the weekend comparing the costs of the Ross County and Celtic squads?

Probably not that different tbh...  eh Uncle Roy :whistle

5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

The financial gap between Celtic and other Premiership clubs is always much larger than the gap between Celtic and other Champions League clubs.

Are there any figures on this? I'm not doubting it's true, would just be interested to see it myself and can't be fucked digging out everyone's wage bill individually. 

Are there any figures on this? I'm not doubting it's true, would just be interested to see it myself and can't be fucked digging out everyone's wage bill individually. 

I don't really think it's comparable due to the different nature of the markets that Scottish clubs and Europe's elite can shop in.

Our market is the top players in Scotland and struggling players in the English premiership/championship with the odd player from a middle European nation, Aberdeens is mainly your next best players in Scotland and struggling players in English Championship/ League 1. PSG, City etc can buy pretty much any player in the world at any price. It's a whole different level.

I always compare it to 3 family's, one on an income of £20k, one on £100k and a multi millionaire. The first family can probably shop in Primark and Asda and a holiday every couple of years, the second family can shop in your bigger stores and Waitrose and get a couple of holidays a year. The multi millionaire is buying yachts and doesn't give a f**k where they shop.

PSG average wage is apparently £150k a week. Celtics is apparently £15k a week. St Johnstones is apparently £903 a week.

Make your own mind up is the gap between a £150k player (Hatem Ben Arfa) and a £15k a week player (Moussa Dembele) is wider than Dembele to a £900 player (Graham Cummins)

PSG average wage is apparently £150k a week. Celtics is apparently £15k a week. St Johnstones is apparently £903 a week.

Make your own mind up is the gap between a £150k player (Hatem Ben Arfa) and a £15k a week player (Moussa Dembele) is wider than Dembele to a £900 player (Graham Cummins)

You’ve picked out one of your worst players and Celtics best player.

Don’t think the gap between the average Celtic player and St Johnstone player is as much as the gap between a Celtic one and a PSG one. Still a massive one mind you but when you talk about the likes of PSG they’re the best squads in the world. Celtic don’t have a player that would be anywhere near any of the best squads in the world.

Say Javier Pastore to James Forrest to Wotherspoon.

A lot of the best players in other Scottish Premiership teams however could get into Celtics squad. They’ve consistently signed players like that over the years actually. Few of them involved tonight, Griffiths, Brown, Armstrong. When was the last time a Celtic player moved to one of the top clubs in Europe? Larsson?

I get the argument but I can see both sides of the argument. Both massive gaps.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Don’t think the gap between the average Celtic player and St Johnstone player is as much as the gap between a Celtic one and a PSG one. Still a massive one mind you but when you talk about the likes of PSG they’re the best squads in the world. Celtic don’t have a player that would be anywhere near any of the best squads in the world.

A lot of the best players in other Scottish Premiership teams however could get into Celtics squad. They’ve consistently signed players like that over the years actually. Few of them involved tonight, Griffiths, Brown, Armstrong. When was the last time a Celtic player moved to one of the top clubs in Europe? Larsson?

Cummins got a new contract in the summer on improved terms. No way is he one of our lower earners.

Maybe. To me £15k gets you an International standard player, £900 doesn't.

Much like how Celtic can spend £3m on the transfer fee of one player, which would pay our entire squad for years, and is more in terms of transfer fee than we've paid for almost three decades combined.

Maybe. To me £15k gets you an International standard player, £900 doesn't.

Much like how Celtic can spend £3m on the transfer fee of one player, which would pay our entire squad for years, and is more in terms of transfer fee than we've paid for almost three decades combined.

Yeah I don’t think it’s something they should be harping on about too much when these kinds of games come up as the shoe is on the other foot every single game they play domestically.

I always compare it to 3 family's, one on an income of £20k, one on £100k and a multi millionaire.

If we earned £20k a year in this scenario, Celtic would be earning £332k a year, and PSG £3m a year. For the sake on interest.

That's solely wages though, remember, and ignoring the millions Celtic spend buying players. We don't spend a penny on fees. So PSG shop at Waitrose, Celtic at Asda, and we're using food vouchers.

Cummins got a new contract in the summer on improved terms. No way is he one of our lower earners.

Didn’t really mean wages, just meant Dembele is Celtics best player and Cummins isn’t anywhere near St Johnstones best player, maybe I’m wrong?

Neymar to Dembele to O’Halloran could’ve been a better one. Not much difference in those 3. [emoji6]

1 hour ago, Tartantony said:

I don't really think it's comparable due to the different nature of the markets that Scottish clubs and Europe's elite can shop in.

Our market is the top players in Scotland and struggling players in the English premiership/championship with the odd player from a middle European nation, Aberdeens is mainly your next best players in Scotland and struggling players in English Championship/ League 1. PSG, City etc can buy pretty much any player in the world at any price. It's a whole different level.

I always compare it to 3 family's, one on an income of £20k, one on £100k and a multi millionaire. The first family can probably shop in Primark and Asda and a holiday every couple of years, the second family can shop in your bigger stores and Waitrose and get a couple of holidays a year. The multi millionaire is buying yachts and doesn't give a f**k where they shop.

The analogy at the end breaks down badly, because you're only awarding your notional Celtic five times the wealth of your St Johnstone, whereas your PSG have at least fifty times the wealth of your Celtic, probably much more if they're buying yachts.

That's not analogous with the respective gulfs in wealth between the actual clubs.

You're again implying that the disadvantage Celtic face in Europe is much much  larger than the advantage they enjoy at home.  

It's not.

The analogy at the end breaks down badly, because you're only awarding your notional Celtic five times the wealth of your St Johnstone, whereas your PSG have at least fifty times the wealth of your Celtic, probably much more if they're buying yachts.
That's not analogous with the respective gulfs in wealth between the actual clubs.
You're again implying that the disadvantage Celtic face in Europe is much much  larger than the advantage they enjoy at home.  
It's not.

In terms of ratios you're correct of course. My analogy is more in regards to what those relative budgets can actually buy which makes PSGs budget worth a lot more if that makes sense.

I personally see PSGs budget as bigger than ours compared to ours against a St Johnstone although i dont really care about budgets tbh just thought I'd add my opinion. I certainly would never use it as an excuse for losing.

16 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

In terms of ratios you're correct of course. My analogy is more in regards to what those relative budgets can actually buy which makes PSGs budget worth a lot more if that makes sense.

No it doesn't make sense.

It's reminiscent of the stuff Rodgers came out with at a press conference around the last time the sides met.  He couldn't articulate a remotely convincing case either.

The only sensible way to consider it is in terms of ratios.

No it doesn't make sense.
It's reminiscent of the stuff Rodgers came out with at a press conference around the last time the sides met.  He couldn't articulate a remotely convincing case either.
The only sensible way to consider it is in terms of ratios.

I suppose spending £450m vs £30m in transfer fees in 3 years is a lower ratio compared to £30m vs £0.

I'm sorry but ratios make no sense at all in this situation. You can take all the comfort you want though, I'm not going to debate it with you because it's irrelevant nonsense.