The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

6 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Apparently, according to the Daily Record, a game a week for two months is "brutal".

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scottish-premiership-winners-face-brutal-11521292

It's clearly about Champions League fixtures. They could maybe have added a line saying on top of domestic obligations but it's pretty self-evident.

It's clearly about Champions League fixtures. They could maybe have added a line saying on top of domestic obligations but it's pretty self-evident.

But if the qualifiers are starting quite early then they won't have many, if any domestic commitments anyway will they? Should there be a headline about the brutal schedule of 4 games in 2 weeks that the teams in the BetFred Cup group stage face?

1 minute ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

But if the qualifiers are starting quite early then they won't have many, if any domestic commitments anyway will they? Should there be a headline about the brutal schedule of 4 games in 2 weeks that the teams in the BetFred Cup group stage face?

They're starting late due to the World Cup in Russia. I'm not sure when the Premiership season is due to start but I'd imagine there will be a significant overlap.

"Non story", tbh.

It's not really to do with the World Cup btw. FIFA international calendar is moving 'back' a week from next season (has to be done periodically as it creeps forward by 1 day a year; or 2 days in leap years)... plus on top of that UEFA are moving all their qualifying rounds back 1 week as well (eliminating the August domestic midweek), to fit in some preliminaries they've added for microstates.

Celtic start QR1 not QR2, true, but it's the same midweek as before; our EL clubs start in the same rounds as previously, but a fortnight later than before.

WC overlap is just QR1 1st leg with WC SFs & Final/3rd-4th PO.

i.e.

Sat Date          Weekend               Mid-week

Jul 07     WC Quart              WC Semi / CL-EL QR1

Jul 14     WC Fin / LC Groups?   LC Grp? / CL-EL QR1

Jul 21              LC Groups?   LC Grp? / CL-EL QR2

Jul 28              LC Groups?             CL-EL QR2

Aug 04              SPFL Prem?             CL-EL QR3

Aug 11              SPFL Prem?             CL-EL QR3

Aug 18              SPFL Prem?             CL-EL QR4

Aug 25              SPFL Prem?             CL-EL QR4

Sep 01              SPFL Prem?   International Break

Sep 08     International Break   International Break

Celtic would play the black (Premiership) and green (CL/EL) entries in the above.

This season - remembering they played in the blue League Cup R2, but not in the green CL QR1 - they played:

Sat Date          Weekend               Mid-week

Jun 24     Conf Grp              Conf SF / CL-EL QR1

Jul 01     Conf Fin                        CL-EL QR1

Jul 08                                     CL-EL QR2

Jul 15              LC Groups    LC Grps / CL-EL QR2

Jul 22              LC Groups    LC Grps / CL-EL QR3

Jul 29              LC Groups              CL-EL QR3

Aug 05              SPFL Prem              LC 2nd Rd

Aug 12              SPFL Prem              CL-EL QR4

Aug 19              SPFL Prem              CL-EL QR4

Aug 26              SPFL Prem    International Break

Sep 02     International Break   International Break

There is barely any difference.

SSN had some magazine editor on yesterday explaining why Peru were above England in the FIFA rankings. His answer was that they'd played 18 games in WC qualifying whereas England had only played 10 plus friendlies.

Completely ignoring that 1) England's ranking is also based on Euro 2016 qualifiers + tournament which have the same weighting as SA qualifiers + Copa America and 2) Peru have had results against Brazil, Argentina x2, Colombia and Uruguay in the past 18 months.

Edited by lanky_ffc

I missed the Scottish Cup Draw  so I googled for details. 

Daily Record popped up. 

Their headlines read... 

CELTIC AT HOME 

SEVCO AWAY 

No Headline mentions of the Edinburgh or Lanarkshire Derbies. 

FECKEM 

44 minutes ago, List_of_Jericho said:

Daily Record comparing the cost of the likely starting XI for Celtic and PSG tonight.

I must have missed the one they published at the weekend comparing the costs of the Ross County and Celtic squads?

The financial gap between Celtic and other Premiership clubs is always much larger than the gap between Celtic and other Champions League clubs.

Absolutely loving John Hughes here - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-hughes-insists-managerial-record-11560525

“I left Falkirk. What happens? They got relegated and have never been in the top flight since because of my standards. I also got them to the Scottish Cup Final. I leave Inverness. What happens? Relegated. I won the Scottish Cup and got them to the League Cup Final. It’s not bad."