The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

10 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Eh?

Andy Goram. played until 1998 for Rangers & 2005 in Scottish football, love him or hate him, he was the greatest Scottish keeper (ok born in England) that has been, shites over everyone that's played in our league whatever nationality over the last 50 years never mind 20.

Ok he played for Rangers, but people, give him some respect. 

A good goalkeeper at his peak with Rangers, but wildly overrated in posts like these.

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Not sure what age you are, Ben but we older Bears had to endure Norry Martin and McCloy.  The signing of Woods by Souness was the first time we had a decent keeper in my lifetime and what a difference it made...you could see that throughout the whole team.  Signing The Goalie raised the bar further.  Aye, an unpleasant character but Scotland's best-ever keeper?  Probably.

I'd have been about ten when we signed Woods, we've had a good standard of keepers since then.  Gorams the best Scottish keeper that I've ever watched.

I think the thing about Goram, and Klos for that matter is that they were products of their time.

Neither would suit the "sweeper keeper" role that managers favour now.  

Gordon is an example someone who has adapted to it.

Edit: Goram especially was more of the "inside the 6yd box is mine.  Anything else, you fucking deal with it."

Edited by KnightswoodBear

15 minutes ago, bennett said:

I'd have been about ten when we signed Woods, we've had a good standard of keepers since then.  Gorams the best Scottish keeper that I've ever watched.

I see what you did there, by missing out the apostrophe in "Gorams"!

My abiding memory of the flying pig was him chucking an aimless Steven Glass cross into his own net at Pittodrie with no-one within 20 yards. Fortunately, he stayed away from gambling and shady characters or it might have appeared suspicious.

Anyway, who was worserest: Bossu or Macalamity?

Zibi not getting a mention?

Or rangers keepers i thought charbonnier (sp) got a raw deal. Seemed ok whenever saw him on tv. Looked as mad as a box of frogs mind you

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Just too young to have witnessed the defining match of his career at the time, but I do remember watching him being pish for Forfar in its later stages.

It was a shame though.  I went to Ibrox pretty much every home game at that time and Kennedy was absolutely fantastic for us.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What was wrong with McCloy in the mid 70s, that Kennedy was preferred?

Consistency for one.  Big Peter would stop a shot that would take your breath away one minute then let a pass back trickle between his legs.

Distribution was another.  I hate to quote @KnightswoodBearbut Peter's main idea of being a "sweeper keeper" was to launch a Garryowen and start a cavalry charge.

Thus Kennedy was a revelation.  Terrific keeper with presence and an idea of how to start an attack from the back.  Brilliant...until that England game.