The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

2 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

You implied that because Goram played for Rangers, that he wasn't getting respect. And you did so when quoting a post where Ludo had mentioned Stefan Klos, a player who played for Rangers. So, obviously he wasn't 'disrespecting' a player based on the club they played for.

Goram was indeed a great keeper. Klos was better, though.

ok, respect.  

You're wrong with Klos. 

From today's Sun

"A dour game had gone to extra-time when the moment came. Ian Redford crossed from the left and Ferguson hit the back of the net with a left-foot shot, but the linesman flagged Kevin Gallacher offside.

Moments later, Saints’ Ian Ferguson won the Cup for the Paisley men.

Fergie said: “It was a perfectly good goal at Hampden. (no it wasn't) It was claimed Kevin was offside (he was) but he was lying on the ground when I hit the ball. (no he wasn't, he was still on his feet however him being upright or prostrate was irrelevant).

“Ian Redford’s cross had come past him and the interfering with play rule didn’t exist then (yes it did) and I stuck the ball away with my left foot. Referee Kenny Hope gave the goal (no he didn't) but the linesman chopped it off for whatever reason (the reason being there was only one opponent between Gallacher and the goal line).

“It was proved afterwards that the goal should have stood. (proved by whom exactly?)"

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story Iain, still bitter 30 years later.

Edited by Arch Stanton

3 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Alex is not always  right ,never seen Jim in his days, sorry, As for, Andy, I spoke to many generations with many backgrounds. Goram was and still is the greatest  we have seen. As for your end sentance, C'mon Malky that is cheap.

'Remember, it is barely a year since Goram, when opening a pub, spoke of an altercation with Pierre van Hooijdonk in an Old Firm match in 1996. He told a cheering group of Rangers fans that when he saved the Dutchman's penalty in that game he went up to him and called him – and he was paraphrasing here – "a non-white, unclean, non-Protestant with no father". And Goram is going to be lauded at a benefit dinner? But back to the book. There is one aspect of his life that has a grisly fascination and that is his supposed links with loyalist terrorists in Northern Ireland. He recounts a story about him drinking in the Rex bar on the Shankill Road in west Belfast. The Rex was not a political pub but still it was a favourite haunt of Ulster Volunteer Force supporters. This is where Goram fetched-up.'

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/tom-english-the-self-pitying-goram-still-sees-himself-as-the-victim-1-1362600

4 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

'Remember, it is barely a year since Goram, when opening a pub, spoke of an altercation with Pierre van Hooijdonk in an Old Firm match in 1996. He told a cheering group of Rangers fans that when he saved the Dutchman's penalty in that game he went up to him and called him – and he was paraphrasing here – "a non-white, unclean, non-Protestant with no father". And Goram is going to be lauded at a benefit dinner? But back to the book. There is one aspect of his life that has a grisly fascination and that is his supposed links with loyalist terrorists in Northern Ireland. He recounts a story about him drinking in the Rex bar on the Shankill Road in west Belfast. The Rex was not a political pub but still it was a favourite haunt of Ulster Volunteer Force supporters. This is where Goram fetched-up.'

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/tom-english-the-self-pitying-goram-still-sees-himself-as-the-victim-1-1362600

He was married to my ex boss' auntie.......there's nothing "supposed" about these links.

Turns out the model he ran off with was the secretary on the section of the BRP I worked on.....small world eh?!

2 minutes ago, sjc said:

He was married to my ex boss' auntie.......there's nothing "supposed" about these links.

Turns out the model he ran off with was the secretary on the section of the BRP I worked on.....small world eh?!

Goram positively revels in these connections when he's in certain circles. It's appalling.

I would favourite your post but it seems a bit inappropriate.

1 minute ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

Goram positively revels in these connections when he's in certain circles. It's appalling.

I would favourite your post but it seems a bit inappropriate.

No problem. The c**t belongs in a bygone era!

6 minutes ago, bennett said:

Goram was the best keeper we've had in my lifetime, the guys a fud tho but he was a great player.

Not sure what age you are, Ben but we older Bears had to endure Norry Martin and McCloy.  The signing of Woods by Souness was the first time we had a decent keeper in my lifetime and what a difference it made...you could see that throughout the whole team.  Signing The Goalie raised the bar further.  Aye, an unpleasant character but Scotland's best-ever keeper?  Probably.