The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

14 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Speaking of Stefan Klos, best goalkeeper in Scottish football over the past 20 years a fair shout?

Eh?

Andy Goram. played until 1998 for Rangers & 2005 in Scottish football, love him or hate him, he was the greatest Scottish keeper (ok born in England) that has been, shites over everyone that's played in our league whatever nationality over the last 50 years never mind 20.

Ok he played for Rangers, but people, give him some respect. 

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

Eh?

Andy Goram. played until 1998 for Rangers & 2005 in Scottish football, love him or hate him, he was the greatest Scottish keeper (ok born in England) that has been, shites over everyone that's played in our league whatever nationality over the last 50 years never mind 20.

Talk about a player not getting respect because he played for Rangers, when the alternative player in the post you quoted played for, erm, Rangers.

32 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Talk about a player not getting respect because he played for Rangers, when the alternative player in the post you quoted played for, erm, Rangers.

What? 

16 hours ago, mjw said:

Best paid by a long way.

Weirdly, one of the boys at my fives was claiming he was the best paid keeper in Europe. I've no idea where that came from, but is there any chance its true?

2 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Eh?

Jim Leighton. 

4 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Weirdly, one of the boys at my fives was claiming he was the best paid keeper in Europe. I've no idea where that came from, but is there any chance its true?

Heard this as well. I'm sure it came out at the time of all the EBT stuff.

Might be shite though.

5 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I was told I was the  best "goalkeeper" in Scotland for my age 13.....

Its the Record but.

THE full extent of Rangers’ excesses during Sir David Murray’s reign were laid bare last night.

Record Sport can reveal documentation which shows Stefan Klos was paid more than £8million over four and half years at Ibrox.

The keeper received a basic salary of £4.5m, a loyalty bonus of £1m, win and appearance money totalling £500,000 and raked in £2m from the EBT scheme making him one of the world’s highest-paid footballers at that time.

The German’s pay packet was almost on a par with those of David Beckham, Steve McManaman and Brazilian superstar Ronaldo.

I'd be hard pressed to pick who was better out of Goram and Klos.

Klos was unlucky when McLeish came in.  I'm sure he broke a bone in his hand, and Watterus performed really well until the end of the season.  Eck decided to stick with Watterus for the start of the next campaign and Klos never really got back in after that.  

9 hours ago, calum_gers said:

Not really.

Klos got injured and Wattereus was excellent at the end of 04/05 and retained the jersey to start 05/06. He got a chance away to Celtic and was really poor.

He would have got back in in 06/07 but got another bad injury and ended up retiring at the end of that season.

Totally disagree - it was madness to play guys like Bob Malcolm and Stephen Hughes and Maurice Ross and have a genuinely world class goalkeeper sitting on the bench on that kind of wage.

3 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Eh?

Alex Ferguson says Jimmy Cowan of Greenock Morton was the best Scottish goalkeeper of all time but he puts Goram in the same bracket. What a shame Goram is an utter neanderthal. 

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

I referenced this earlier, I'm sure his getting dropped was to do with cost cutting as he was on a crazy contract with massive win bonuses.

Think it came out with the ebt stuff that he was on more than Beckham!

32 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

Totally disagree - it was madness to play guys like Bob Malcolm and Stephen Hughes and Maurice Ross and have a genuinely world class goalkeeper sitting on the bench on that kind of wage.

I don't know how Klos would have fared playing outfield, to be honest.

1 hour ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

Alex Ferguson says Jimmy Cowan of Greenock Morton was the best Scottish goalkeeper of all time but he puts Goram in the same bracket. What a shame Goram is an utter neanderthal. 

Alex is not always  right ,never seen Jim in his days, sorry, As for, Andy, I spoke to many generations with many backgrounds. Goram was and still is the greatest  we have seen. As for your end sentance, C'mon Malky that is cheap.

My abiding memory of the flying pig was him chucking an aimless Steven Glass cross into his own net at Pittodrie with no-one within 20 yards. Fortunately, he stayed away from gambling and shady characters or it might have appeared suspicious.

Anyway, who was worserest: Bossu or Macalamity?

4 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

What? 

You implied that because Goram played for Rangers, that he wasn't getting respect. And you did so when quoting a post where Ludo had mentioned Stefan Klos, a player who played for Rangers. So, obviously he wasn't 'disrespecting' a player based on the club they played for.

Goram was indeed a great keeper. Klos was better, though.