The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

2 hours ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

Probably not the right place for this but I listened to  bit of radio clydes phone in tonight when I was driving 

Maybe an English thing but '606 with David Mellor' was the only time football phone-ins were in the least bit classy.

Antonia de Sancha has a lot to answer for.

I think Danny Bakers original 606 phone in show was great and his 5 live show is still a good listen. The problem is that phone in shows attract reactionary fans with no sense of humour that take football far too seriously. It's a bit like the comments section of newspapers if somebody has taken time to voice an opinion it's probably not worth listening to them.

12 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Maybe an English thing but '606 with David Mellor' was the only time football phone-ins were in the least bit classy.

Antonia de Sancha has a lot to answer for.

Talksport is just fans calling up for a manager to be sacked. Hawksbee and Jacobs are good because they are knowledgeable about football but acknowledge how ridiculous it is and treat it irreverently.

2 hours ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

I think Danny Bakers original 606 phone in show was great and his 5 live show is still a good listen. The problem is that phone in shows attract reactionary fans with no sense of humour that take football far too seriously. It's a bit like the comments section of newspapers if somebody has taken time to voice an opinion it's probably not worth listening to them.

Talksport is just fans calling up for a manager to be sacked. Hawksbee and Jacobs are good because they are knowledgeable about football but acknowledge how ridiculous it is and treat it irreverently.

Until you mention Chelsea and then Andy Jacobs gets serious and super defensive.

6 hours ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

Danny  Baker was 1991/1992 then Mellor took over, Danny Baker came back about 5 years later. 

Correct.

I think it was launched by Danny Baker, was it not? 

It got a lot of publicity early on - features on Football Focus and the like.  It was sort of on the back of the fanzine movement and came after that not bad TV Programme with Simon O'Brien - Standing Room Only.  

I thought it suffered when David Mellor took over, but that might be because I'd seen him attempt to kick a ball at the launch of some football related initiative.

7 hours ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

The other flaw of commercial phone ins is that the presenters often take a contrary view in order to generate calls, Adrian Durham being a prime candidate. I find the only times these things are worth listening to is shortly after England have lost a game. The collective seethe is soothing.

I quite enjoy listening to the Super Scoreboard podcast.  You're not going to get anything ground-breaking, but the level of seething zoomers that phone-in can be entertaining.  Only problem is that they seem too scared to actually take them to task.  606 can be pretty good with this, they sometimes give them a little bit of rope before they cut them off.  Talksport is just blatant baiting though.