The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

9 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

He'll open his piece with the word 'listen'. 

Nothing surer.

I caught a wee bit of Sportsound for the first time in months on Friday night (I think) and Jim Goodwin was on. Every time he answered a question he kept saying "Listen" or "Here, listen".

15 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

In fairness to Bazza he was in the paper last week disagreeing with what Walter said :o

He was? Ah well fair enough. I guess that was in the Record or something like that? I did think that Ferguson would play to the same tune but quite surprised that he isn't.

Just now, RiG said:

I caught a wee bit of Sportsound for the first time in months on Friday night (I think) and Jim Goodwin was on. Every time he answered a question he kept saying "Listen" or "Here, listen".

He was? Ah well fair enough. I guess that was in the Record or something like that? I did think that Ferguson would play to the same tune but quite surprised that he isn't.

Indeed - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/walter-smith-wrong-rangers-dave-9612698

Real shame as I was certain he'd be all for it!

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but Gordon Parks didnt let facts get in the way of slagging killie last week, saying our identity was being destroyed by revolving door policy.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kilmarnock-identity-being-killed-revolving-9625142

The good old blame teams like kilmarnock etc for the shiteness of scottish football because we arent playing youth players or developing scottish players.

When in fact we have Greg Taylor playing every week and has played the highest amount of minutes this season for British under 20 player in the UK.

Also with players such as kiltie, mckenzie, hawkshaw, wilson, innes cameron (16y/o) and even Boyd all coming through our youth system and making appearances this season. Not to mention players who have left our system and signed for other clubs eg Muirhead and O'hara.

Absolute joke that we are being picked up for loan signings when other clubs also use the system to their advantage, even the mighty rangers who were congratulated for signing toral.

Rant over, Parks is a w**k.

killie youth fact.jpg

3 hours ago, superkillieaway said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but Gordon Parks didnt let facts get in the way of slagging killie last week, saying our identity was being destroyed by revolving door policy.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kilmarnock-identity-being-killed-revolving-9625142

The good old blame teams like kilmarnock etc for the shiteness of scottish football because we arent playing youth players or developing scottish players.

When in fact we have Greg Taylor playing every week and has played the highest amount of minutes this season for British under 20 player in the UK.

Also with players such as kiltie, mckenzie, hawkshaw, wilson, innes cameron (16y/o) and even Boyd all coming through our youth system and making appearances this season. Not to mention players who have left our system and signed for other clubs eg Muirhead and O'hara.

Absolute joke that we are being picked up for loan signings when other clubs also use the system to their advantage, even the mighty rangers who were congratulated for signing toral.

Rant over, Parks is a w**k.

killie youth fact.jpg

What they write/say has nothing to do with what's going on. Hearts were getting the same sort of chat not that long ago, your figures show that was also bullshit.

On 15/01/2017 at 15:00, Ludo*1 said:

Any idea what the lion is supposed to represent? New one certainly doesn't look 'rampant'

Presumably it's meant to be the head of a Lion Rampant.

The problem is that "rampant" needs the body to identify it as such. Otherwise, the head could be from any of the principle attitudes except Dormant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_(heraldry)#Attitudes

Actually, imagine having a Lion Dormant in your coat of arms. Presumably your family moto would be sum piger, et spuria.

14 minutes ago, ALJAGS76 said:

Those figures are not right, Thistle don't have anyone in the Scottish u21 squad.

Being Scottish and under 21 is not the same as being in the Scotland Under 21 squad. 

On 1/15/2017 at 20:42, TheScarf said:

I see Terrence Butcher is in today's *** saying Rangers need to spend again like the did in 1986 when Celtic were miles ahead of them.

They really need to do it.  Spend big again.  So we can all get the popcorn out.

Thing is Celtic wern't really miles ahead of them at that time, not as far as they are now. You still had the likes of Aberdeen and Dundee United up there and the season that Souness took over at the tail end Hearts could have won the double.

14 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Thing is Celtic wern't really miles ahead of them at that time, not as far as they are now. You still had the likes of Aberdeen and Dundee United up there and the season that Souness took over at the tail end Hearts could have won the double.

Yep, I was only 1 in 1986 so can't comment but I'd imagine that, like you say, the gap wouldn't have been as big as it is now. 

Rangers hadn't just died and had to start again in 1986 when the money started creeping up.

Being Scottish and under 21 is not the same as being in the Scotland Under 21 squad. 

It's still not right, we've played a 19yo Scot this season, so surely can't be 0.0%

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

It's still not right, we've played a 19yo Scot this season, so surely can't be 0.0%

The original table was mine and I realised I had made an error with Comrie's appearance.  I had put it down as him playing 4 minutes rather than 86 minutes.  St Johnstone's tally should be 0.4%.

16 hours ago, superkillieaway said:

For what it's worth, this is a sensational stat.

The original table was mine and I realised I had made an error with Comrie's appearance.  I had put it down as him playing 4 minutes rather than 86 minutes.  St Johnstone's tally should be 0.4%.

We've also played Liam Gordon this season, although that was in the cup

11 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

The big difference between now and 1986 is that back in 1986 Rangers upped their spend to a level considerably above the opposition, that won't be the case this time unless they intend to triple or quadruple their present budget(they can hardly pay the bills now), Butcher,Smith & Co must be off their heads if they seriously think Rangers should pump £20m/£30m a year more into their playing budget.

Presumably the old Rangers men know that, if the new club doesn't make the Champions League and ends up going to the wall too, they can just start up a new company again, go straight into League Two, and have the authorities pretend that it's the same club like the good wee boys they are. There isn't really a down side for Rangers under those circumstances. Presumably the only reason we aren't hearing about potential play-in-Europe-only deals for Cristiano Ronaldo is because the banks are well aware of that too.

Am I being too cynical, or has every BBC article about Rangers this season featured a line about how "this will be the first time since <date before 2012> that Rangers have <x>"? Seems like they're desperate to get back in the good books at the moment.

38 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Presumably the old Rangers men know that, if the new club doesn't make the Champions League and ends up going to the wall too, they can just start up a new company again, go straight into League Two, and have the authorities pretend that it's the same club like the good wee boys they are.

edge-of-tomorrow-poster-live-die-repeat-preview.jpg

they can just start up a new company again, go straight into League Two, and have the authorities pretend that it's the same club

Would probably need to be the Lowland League now that it's part of the pyramid setup. Civil Service Strollers vs The The Rangers would be a laugh.

48 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Would probably need to be the Lowland League now that it's part of the pyramid setup. Civil Service Strollers vs The The Rangers would be a laugh.

It's still probably more likely that they'd start in a higher league, I'd have thought. Would be interesting to hear the arguments from Doncaster & Regan, considering armageddon would sound even more ridiculous now. I don't know if they've got the imagination to go with anything else, though.