The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Albion Rovers opened Cliftonhill on Christmas Day in 1919 - going down 2-0 to St Mirren in front of 7,000.

Interestingly the Scotsman says 15,000 for your opener. Oddly enough all 3 Tayside clubs were in action on that day: Dundee in their usual Christmas Day game at Third Lanark, and Dundee United at home to Stenhousemuir.

1924122501.jpg
1924122502.jpg
1924122503.jpg

Albion Rovers opened Cliftonhill on Christmas Day in 1919 - going down 2-0 to St Mirren in front of 7,000.

Interestingly the Scotsman says 15,000 for your opener. Oddly enough all 3 Tayside clubs were in action on that day: Dundee in their usual Christmas Day game at Third Lanark, and Dundee United at home to Stenhousemuir.

1924122501.jpg&key=ff3f1a260baff03b54b238caf936dbaf832a170bc28449fe5afc598f9eabdeb8
1924122502.jpg&key=acc17ceba04bdf061fb12733b78962a2532c27590c2b883d494e1af9a7628b16
1924122503.jpg&key=33423afabe88c8393b60831a49b5d0bb3be22878b053a71fc3e8d489bb5c541d

Really interesting. I had no idea that Broxburn and other west Lothian teams played the likes of the DABS back then.

I wonder about the background to Aberdeen being fined for not fielding a full team

Here are the tables for 1924-25, when the Scottish League reached its largest-ever extent of 57 clubs...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1924–25_in_Scottish_football

West Lothian is strongly well represented in the Second Division with Bo'ness, Bathgate, Broxburn and Armadale. Note the quartet of Dumfries & Galloway teams in the Third Division - QotS, Nithsdale, Solway Star (Annan) and Mid-Annandale (Lockerbie) - with the first 3 occupying the top 3 places.

There were even 2 clubs in Dumbarton - as well as clubs in Clydebank, Helensburgh and Vale of Leven; the Borders and Clackmannanshire had Peebles and Clackmannan representing them; Lanarkshire counted Royal Albert and Dykehead as well as the current foursome; Renfrewshire counted Johnstone and Arthurlie as well as St Mirren and Morton; Ayrshire had Beith and Galston as well as Ayr and Kilmarnock.

Aberdeen were mid-table and had a Scottish Cup SF replay v Hibs at Dundee on the midweek following...

Edited by HibeeJibee

19 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Here are the tables for 1924-25, when the Scottish League reached its largest-ever extent of 57 clubs...

West Lothian is strongly well represented in the Second Division with Bo'ness, Bathgate, Broxburn and Armadale. Note the quartet of Dumfries & Galloway teams in the Third Division - QotS, Nithsdale, Solway Star (Annan) and Mid-Annandale (Lockerbie) - with the first 3 occupying the top 3 places.

There were even 2 clubs in Dumbarton - as well as clubs in Clydebank, Helensburgh and Vale of Leven; the Borders and Clackmannanshire had Peebles and Clackmannan representing them; Lanarkshire counted Royal Albert and Dykehead as well as the current foursome; Renfrewshire counted Johnstone and Arthurlie as well as St Mirren and Morton; Ayrshire had Beith and Galston as well as Ayr and Kilmarnock.

Aberdeen were mid-table and had a Scottish Cup SF replay v Hibs at Dundee on the midweek following...

I really enjoy seeing the old tables , with all those unfamiliar teams - which alas, no longer exist.

IMO  Some of our drabber sounding teams should really have adopted either one of their more ostentatious founding club appellations.

e.g.    We could be seeing crowd pulling headlines of:

Our Boys   V   Orion     or     East End   v   Victoria

but no, instead we have crappy

Dundee    V   Aberdeen

However, I do think we ought to forcibly change team names & colors, once in a while , might be more healthy - for a certain group of fans.

I have other radical ideas , but I will not go there.

Edited by babu

19 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Nice to see the forces of Hunnery keeping the **** down.

Always cheated.

7 hours ago, rambling syd rumpo said:

The Scotsman's sub-editor wasn't paying very close attention to the Dundee v St Johnstone game. Personally I'm happy to trust Dundee FC's official match report. They rarely get the score wrong. It might have been charitable to give Saints a goal, but it never actually happened. :lol:

How is that even possible? Especially as the report has Hartley stating the score and saying it's good to keep a clean sheet. 

3 hours ago, Dee Man said:

How is that even possible? Especially as the report has Hartley stating the score and saying it's good to keep a clean sheet. 

Also says our last defeat was away to Ross County. It was at home, which is worse!

They also called it a Tayside derby :)

Also says our last defeat was away to Ross County.

Ooft! We've not lost away to County since 2013/14.

Our last away defeat was Aberdeen in the cup.

5 hours ago, Dee Man said:

I suppose papers are economising on sub-editors, who are probably less experienced and under more pressure. The sub might not even have had time to read the report. It certainly wasn't the journalist's fault. They must cringe at mistakes like that. They usually get the blame for headlines. I was sitting next to Euan McArthur, who wrote the report, and he was certainly paying enough attention to know the score.

15 hours ago, rambling syd rumpo said:

The Scotsman's sub-editor wasn't paying very close attention to the Dundee v St Johnstone game. Personally I'm happy to trust Dundee FC's official match report. They rarely get the score wrong. It might have been charitable to give Saints a goal, but it never actually happened. :lol:

Not as bad as Paul Mitchell on the BBC online highlights who thought the third goal was for St Johnstone...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38502272

Chris McLaughlin writes 177 words about a new Celtic signing. In discussing the transfers linked to it by the selling club he used the term "outfit" three times referring to teams from China, Armenia and Hungary. Legia Warsaw and Krasnodar are sides, while Celtic are a club. I'd call it informative if it wasn't so patronising.

8 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38502272

Chris McLaughlin writes 177 words about a new Celtic signing. In discussing the transfers linked to it by the selling club he used the term "outfit" three times referring to teams from China, Armenia and Hungary. Legia Warsaw and Krasnodar are sides, while Celtic are a club. I'd call it informative if it wasn't so patronising.

He refers to both Krasnodar and Legia Warsaw as clubs too. I assume he's edited it?