Rocket League

Dave1875

It's a brilliant game. Still can't believe it was free at release - a masterstroke from both Psyonix and PSN. In my opinion, it's the only game that PS Plus has had which has been genuinely worthwhile, outside a few indie titles. I've managed to get pretty good at it but I still make too many silly mistakes to break into the Champion ranks; in Season 3 I tended to float between All Star and Superstar.

It's a brilliant game. Still can't believe it was free at release - a masterstroke from both Psyonix and PSN. In my opinion, it's the only game that PS Plus has had which has been genuinely worthwhile, outside a few indie titles. I've managed to get pretty good at it but I still make too many silly mistakes to break into the Champion ranks; in Season 3 I tended to float between All Star and Superstar.

Plus, you regularly get bodied on it by me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2017 at 02:45, the_bully_wee said:

Had a whirl on Drop Zone tonight - it's incredibly stressful, totally breathless and brings some utter scenes. A load of fun.

Played my first few games of this recently and it's just great fun.  The way the ball sometimes bounces as the ground disappears causes immense panic!

Played a 'triggering' game of Rocket League last night. 3 v 3 and one of my team mates decided he wanted to be on the other team making it 2 v 4.  My other team mate was basically useless so it was 1 v 4.  Lost 7-1.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I bought this game the other night and while it's good fun, I'm not sure how much skill is involved - any decent play I've been involved in has come down to luck.

What can I do to get good at it?

The best bits of skill in the game tend to be scoring aerial goals.  I've got something like 2000 goals but only about 10 aerials.  Best way to improve them is to practise in the custom training modes.

Have tried some of the custom goalkeeping challenges too.  They basically involve you having to fly back into your goal to deflect the ball onto the bar or post.  Infuriating!

17 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I bought this game the other night and while it's good fun, I'm not sure how much skill is involved - any decent play I've been involved in has come down to luck.

What can I do to get good at it?

The only way to get good at it (quickly, anyway) is to get to grips with the various movement mechanics of the game early on. First of all, I'd try to get used to powersliding to change direction quickly and flipping (jumping, holding the stick in the direction you want to flip and then pressing X again very quickly) which are both essentials - flipping in particular, which is the fastest way to get about if you're out of boost, and helps add power and direction to shots. I've never done any of the training drills mentioned above bar the basic ones when I started - the more advanced ones were released after I was already addicted and self-taught at most of these things. 

Four things I would recommend doing if you're a beginner: 

• go into settings > controls and remap power slide (square, if you're on PS4) to R1, which makes it far easier to steady yourself in mid-air and powerslide while using boost
  • "trying hings"; and decreasing your margin of error bit by bit until you're good at them. For this I'd recommend leaving competitive/ranked matches alone until you're comfortable with your level of ability as you'll get some amount of roasters giving you non-stop abuse for missing the ball
  • start using ball-cam as much as possible (press triangle); it feels bonkers at first, but it's impossible to play to a decent level of the game without using it, so the sooner you start the better. Eventually you'll find that switching between both views is preferential
  • start to say "what a save!" when someone drops a clanger or "nice shot!" when they miss a sitter. You either get a good laugh with mutual roastings or some Billy Brown level meltdowns

You could also fiddle with your camera settings; the default ones really aren't great but that shouldn't present much of an issue for a "noob", as the denizens of Rocket League would say. Takes a bit of messing about to settle on one which feels the best, and it's not really as essential as all of the above, but marginal gains and all that.

Edited by the_bully_wee

Hit the ball into the opposite goal.

Keep the ball out your goal.

Spam "Nice Shot!" when you score or the opponent scores or your team mate misses a sitter.

Everytime someone scores a goal SCREAM in mic all chat "GOAAAAAAALASSSSSSSSO" like you were watching football italia with gazza back in 1993.

Backflip constantly.

• 3 weeks later...

Played a game earlier.  I was utterly horrendous in a 5-4 OT loss.  It's amazing how not playing for a couple of weeks can affect how I play.  House to myself this weekend so will be playing a fair bit!

I'm still addicted to this but have reached my peak in terms of the competitive matches.  Now just do the non competitive ones and it's much more enjoyable.  Played a 4v4 last night and I've never seen the ball get stuck in a corner for so long - think there was a 3 minute spell where my team couldn't clear it and I made about 4 saves :lol: