When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Surely the SNP must be considering tabling a motion calling for a vote of No Confidence in the government. As Ian Blackford so succinctly put it the other day we are being dragged into this Brexit mess without having any say in it whatsoever. We did not ask for it - we did not vote for it.

A vote of No Confidence in the government almost certainly force another general election which in this present climate would surely see all 13 Scottish Tory MPs wiped out. 

Older posters on this forum will recall it was the SNP that brought about the downfall of the Callaghan government in 1979. That of course led to the Thatcher years, but that's another story for another time.....

Surely the SNP must be considering tabling a motion calling for a vote of No Confidence in the government. As Ian Blackford so succinctly put it the other day we are being dragged into this Brexit mess without having any say in it whatsoever. We did not ask for it - we did not vote for it.
A vote of No Confidence in the government almost certainly force another general election which in this present climate would surely see all 13 Scottish Tory MPs wiped out. 
Older posters on this forum will recall it was the SNP that brought about the downfall of the Callaghan government in 1979. That of course led to the Thatcher years, but that's another story for another time.....

I was wondering if somebody might be thinking that, but surely the tories would be whipped to f**k. You need a 2/3 majority don’t you? A Westminster election fought in Scotland on the single issue of Brexit and the future of devolution would be interesting but I can’t see it.

5 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Not this nonsense again!

More Liberal MP's voted against the Callaghan Govt than SNP, and there were also 8 votes from NI and independent MP's.

The way you tell it, you appear to believe that 11 SNP MP's singlehandedly defeated the govt. That's just not true, is it.

Not this nonsense again!
More Liberal MP's voted against the Callaghan Govt than SNP, and there were also 8 votes from NI and independent MP's.
The way you tell it, you appear to believe that 11 SNP MP's singlehandedly defeated the govt. That's just not true, is it.

We should make a movie ala 12 Strong about it. It’ll be as factually accurate for one.

11 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Not this nonsense again!

Where did I say singlehandedly?

The vote of no confidence in the Labour Government in 1979 was won by 1 vote, and there was an abstention by 1 Labour MP,that's where the problem lay. You're correct though, a story for another time.

feel like there's been a bit of a change in favour of the yes camp last few weeks.

The issue wasn't getting through at all over the last year and i thought it was over for the foreseeable.

But it's back on the agenda.  

Couldn't Sturgeon just say something like there will be a referendum X weeks/months after the Brexit deal is done?

10 minutes ago, tirso said:

feel like there's been a bit of a change in favour of the yes camp last few weeks.

The issue wasn't getting through at all over the last year and i thought it was over for the foreseeable.

Couldn't Sturgeon just say something like there will be a referendum X weeks/months after the Brexit deal is done?

No because the brexit deal will never be "done"

It's getting punted down the road as far as possible or, we crash out in March. I want it now but, timing is key particularly as there is no way May will grant a s30. 

It’s clear that amongst the many who purportedly support the Union at WM, there are those who are blindly determined to bring about its demise through Brexit at any cost.
It’s apparent they don’t need the help of Scottish Nationalists to accelerate this. They couldn’t give a f*ck.
The result of the 2014 Ref, doesn’t give ‘them’ a free run to completely ignore the wishes of the vast majority of Scots who voted to remain in the Euro Ref. Two completely different questions (and answers) that cannot be conveniently combined.
I’ve never had any time for the current incumbents at Holyrood, but admittedly there comes a time in every abusive relationship when it’s time to leave. It’s hard not to sympathise with those who want an immediate re-run (Indy2) in the current climate, and who could argue with them if they managed to secure independence with another bite at the cherry? I don’t think I could. The responsibility for such an outcome would lie squarely with Westminster.
What a fuckin mess.

It’s clear that amongst the many who purportedly support the Union at WM, there are those who are blindly determined to bring about its demise through Brexit at any cost.
It’s apparent they don’t need the help of Scottish Nationalists to accelerate this. They couldn’t give a f*ck.
The result of the 2014 Ref, doesn’t give ‘them’ a free run to completely ignore the wishes of the vast majority of Scots who voted to remain in the Euro Ref. Two completely different questions (and answers) that cannot be conveniently combined.
I’ve never had any time for the current incumbents at Holyrood, but admittedly there comes a time in every abusive relationship when it’s time to leave. It’s hard not to sympathise with those who want an immediate re-run (Indy2) in the current climate, and who could argue with them if they managed to secure independence with another bite at the cherry? I don’t think I could. The responsibility for such an outcome would lie squarely with Westminster.
What a fuckin mess.

Redrob = gets it

9 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

"Don't stop eating shit. If you do, you might need to eat shit"

Cycloptic cretin.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I rejoined SNP earlier today. I had let it elapse as was annoyed about lack of courage shown at last GE. So I'm back in the club

I had joined post-indyref for a year, broadly to feel a little bit more in control after being absolutely horrified at how quickly the main party leaders distanced themselves from shite like The Vow, Gordon Brown's Magical Mystery Tour promising us heaven and earth (wonder how he's getting on with that petition for the UK government to uphold it?) and general Better Together cuntiness.

Let it lapse after that, but yeah, rejoined the other day. f**k it, my colours are nailed to the mast for the shitstorm to come.

1 hour ago, RedRob72 said:

What a fuckin mess.

Like  Sturgeon you assume that everybody in Scotland who voted against Brexit now want a voice and protest over the way it’s being dealt with. I have no doubt some of them will, however a large amount also believe in democracy and want the outcome to be respected. Whilst I voted against Brexit I certainly didn’t expect Sturgeon to use this towards building a case for indyref 2. Would also imagine the number of scots that voted no/remain in both are very high. Not so long ago we had the once in a generation vote where the Scottish people gave their answer. It would appear Sturgeon is ignoring the wishes of Scotland much like the Uk govt are 

1 minute ago, AyrExile said:

Like  Sturgeon you assume that everybody in Scotland who voted against Brexit now want a voice and protest over the way it’s being dealt with. I have no doubt some of them will, however a large amount also believe in democracy and want the outcome to be respected. Whilst I voted against Brexit I certainly didn’t expect Sturgeon to use this towards building a case for indyref 2. Would also imagine the number of scots that voted no/remain in both are very high. Not so long ago we had the once in a generation vote where the Scottish people gave their answer. It would appear Sturgeon is ignoring the wishes of Scotland much like the Uk govt are 

We were asked if we wanted to be part of a functioning EU member state. Your masters and the good people of England decided to kill that state.

I find myself, happily, agreeing with Rob. As much as you want it to be, the 2014 result wasn’t a complete submission to anything and everything that the UK might fancy, however catastrophic.

Watching QT last night, I realised that just four years ago, the stuff being discussed (crashing out of Europe - met with cheers, leaving the single market and resurrecting Winston Churchill to tell the continent to f**k off) would have been confined to wacky, alt-right internet forums. Saying that we voted in 2014 to accept this madness is some quite considerable levels of craven subservience.

Which part of the Edinburgh agreement said it once in a generation???
Why was the vote in 1979 not honoured???

7 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

We were told repeatedly during Indyref1 that we wouldn't be able to leave the union and remain in the EU.

Now we're being dragged out of the EU because that's what England  and Wales voted for.