When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Aye I can think of loads of colonies whose citizens were given pretty much unrestricted access to the empire’s opportunities and participated actively in colonising in said empire. I’m sure the Kenyans, Indians and heck even the Yanks would look at Scotland and see kindred brothers in oppression.

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Aye I can think of loads of colonies whose citizens were given pretty much unrestricted access to the empire’s opportunities and participated actively in colonising in said empire. I’m sure the Kenyans, Indians and heck even the Yanks wofuld look at Scotland and see kindred brothers in oppression.

Who decides if Scotland gets to hold indyref2?  The Scottish people?  The Scottish parliament?  Or Theresa'now is not the time' may?

Scotland is a colony.  You love it like that cause you're craven.  

A colony is defined as 'a territory controlled entirely by another'.  If events in the commons the night before last don't illustra

A land colonised by people of another nation, it’s not really is it Pep?
‘Controlled entirely by another’ also suggests under duress, again it’s not really is it, especially given that 55% of the electorate voted in favour of retaining our current membership of the Union?
You’re in an angry minority Pep, who yearn to live and breathe the oppression of Imperial aggression. You’re about 150 years too late Pal.

3 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Who decides if Scotland gets to hold indyref2?  The Scottish people?  The Scottish parliament?  Or Theresa'now is not the time' may?

Scotland is a colony.  You love it like that cause you're craven.  

I'm fairly sure the people of London would have to get parliamentary permission to seek an independence referendum. Or do the London MPs or the Assembly have some hidden clause that I've missed? Bold calling others craven though, I didn't realise your commitment to independence was risking your life and limb. 

25 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I don't think you're going to see anyone disputing that tbh.

You would be surprised at the number of people that believe that 'No' won a decisive majority in that referendum, especially down South.

In addition, I've been accused of lying when I've told people that dead people on the (extremely outdated) electoral register in use at that time were counted as having voted 'No'. 

It's a great example of British fair play, though.

Colony?

Tonight is the tv debut of "Britannia" on the tele.

Britannia  played a full part in the Roman Empire.

Its people had full citizenship, enjoyed religious freedom and a devolved legal system. The same local ruling elite, once cowed, were left to get on with filching off....sorry governing....the people using slightly differing systems of rule. They were joined by adventurers, entrepreneurs and govt officials from Rome. Together they ensured maximum value could be extracted from Britannia's people and resources. Some of this value was even given back to Britannia.

Britannia's merchants had free access to all markets. Britons could rise to great heights. Even eventually take seats in the Roman senate. 

...but....

Britannia was still a Roman colony. Run for the benefit of Rome. All profit carefully calculated by Rome. Making sure the citizens of Britannia got enough back to feel valued and like, well, actual equal citizens or something. 

The merits of becoming a Roman colony are here nor their. But Britannia was certainly colonised.

Change "Britannia" for Scotland and "Rome" for UK Establishment.

8 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

From having to take a share of England's debt in 1707 to North sea oil we've been subsidising England for 300 years.  We're just a colony to be exploited and stolen from.  

Scotland joined the UK as it was virtually bankrupt.

The people then as now  seen/ see it as being in their best intrests. 

The conditions in which Britain were attached to the Roman Empire and the level of participation the British barbarians had in the Roman Empire is of course exactly the same as Scotland and the UK. It’s totally plausible to reject Westminster’s sovereignty and also realise that as minority nations go we’ve had it much better than most.

The conditions in which Britain were attached to the Roman Empire and the level of participation the British barbarians had in the Roman Empire is of course exactly the same as Scotland and the UK. It’s totally plausible to reject Westminster’s sovereignty and also realise that as minority nations go we’ve had it much better than most.

Strange how minority nations in the EU eg Lux, Ireland and Denmark have it so bad. Actually they don't as they have sovereign power

6 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Of course I was just using the whole Britannia thing as the new show started on the tele......but it did fit quite well.

And yes...  I agree.....as a colony in a league of shitty colonial experiences we have had it good compared with some.

But by any reasonable definition.... colony we are and colonized we have been.

Of course I was just using the whole Britannia thing as the new show started on the tele......but it did fit quite well.
And yes...  I agree.....as a colony in a league of shitty colonial experiences we have had it good compared with some.
But by any reasonable definition.... colony we are and colonized we have been.

No reasonable definition, and certainly none that wouldn’t offend the scores of colonised peoples across the globe, would contend that Scotland was a colony. There’s a reason this discourse is confined to the nutjob element of the Scottish nationalist movement. Even JLD’s example is utterly daft as Ireland experienced far more direct attempts at colonisation than Scotland did. Scotland were active and fully committed participants in colonising Ireland and further afield.

No reasonable definition, and certainly none that wouldn’t offend the scores of colonised peoples across the globe, would contend that Scotland was a colony. There’s a reason this discourse is confined to the nutjob element of the Scottish nationalist movement. Even JLD’s example is utterly daft as Ireland experienced far more direct attempts at colonisation than Scotland did. Scotland were active and fully committed participants in colonising Ireland and further afield.
My point about Ireland has no relevance to what you wrote above.

My point about Ireland has no relevance to what you wrote above.

And your point had no relevance to mine either, mate. I’m all in on Scotland going independent. I just think it’s dumb and offensive to consider Scotland a colony considering a) the abhorrent history of colonisation and b) our own particularly grim history of colonisation.

13 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

See there ye go again....trying to introduce a league table of comparitable colonized experiences.

Trying to compare Scotland to some of these places is laughable. Thats why I am not. 

That does not mean that Scotland has not been subject of colonization. We have all the classic symptoms.....

Lack of political control. A lack of understanding of the nations true economic worth and a complicit elite.

That is not some fringe theory. That is the way it is.

Been that way for centuries chief.

Stick yer fingers in yer red tory ears all ye like, but then your lot has been complicit for decades.