When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's the motion they are voting on.

"That the parliament acknowledges the sovereign right of the Scottish people to determine the form of government best suited to their needs and therefore mandates the Scottish government to take forward discussions with the UK government on the details of an order under section 30 of the Scotland Act 1998 to ensure that the Scottish Parliament can legislate for a referendum to be held that will give the people of Scotland a choice over the future direction and governance of their country at a time - and with a question and franchise - determined by the Scottish Parliament, which would most appropriately be between the autumn of 2018, when there is clarity over the outcome of the Brexit negotiations, and around the point at which the UK leaves the EU in spring 2019."

1 hour ago, BerwickMad said:

Personally, I'm not a nationalist, so the teary speech by that Motherwell and Wishaw MSP doesn't wash, and neither does the 'a different kind of division' stuff from Neil Findlay. I'm someone who believes that the nation state should becoming less and less relevant and we should be making unions as opposed to breaking them.

Do you believe that we should be making/ maintaining unions even if they're overbearing, broken, unfair, archaic and unbalanced?

"That the parliament acknowledges the sovereign right of the Scottish people to determine the form of government best suited to their needs and therefore mandates the Scottish government to take forward discussions with the UK government on the details of an order under section 30 of the Scotland Act 1998 to ensure that the Scottish Parliament can legislate for a referendum to be held that will give the people of Scotland a choice over the future direction and governance of their country at a time - and with a question and franchise - determined by the Scottish Parliament, which would most appropriately be between the autumn of 2018, when there is clarity over the outcome of the Brexit negotiations, and around the point at which the UK leaves the EU in spring 2019."

I agree

Do you believe that we should be making/ maintaining unions even if they're overbearing, broken, unfair, archaic and unbalanced?

Well no. And that's a good debate to be had as to whether this one is or not.

If, for example, you say something is unfair and base the argument on 'we're a nation, you're a region', then I'm unlikely to go for it as I'm not a nationalist. The kind of argument Mhairi Black seems to be putting forward on twitter comparing Scotland to London.

I'd be more persuaded if the argument was that the union was failing to take into account the needs of a constituent part. Off the top of my head, the union was only delivering policies suited to urban areas and not taking into account rural areas. Unfairness in a 'tyranny of the majority' type way. Then you can argue as to whether these needs can been catered for by devolving power over certain things to constituent parts, or full on independence from the union is needed.

I don't go for unfairness based on nationality and I think that the referendums we have seen have exaggerated difference. My view is unions are valuable and although different constituent parts of a union have different needs, that doesn't necessarily mean the whole idea of the union is bad.

I don't have an ideal in my head as to what the perfect shape of a union, whether that be the UK or Europe should be, but I favour further integration and growing unions, generally. But yes, if the union, whatever union, is disadvantaging a constituent part, then that needs to be addressed and that's the debate that can be had about how to best address it.

Had my 1st indy 2 war this morning.

Me and a fellow yes man were having a discussion about how we subsidise England and they prefer to believe it's the other way around when a Unionist butted in absolutely seething at the SNP.

He snapped about "once in a lifetime" and was visibly raging at the thought of a 2nd referendum.

I was surprised the yes man is in fact a yes man as he worked down South a lot and also is a Rangers fan.

The unionist was making a fool of himself and telling us to "open yer eyes"  to which I never actually asked him what he meant.

His general rage at the topic and not wanting it to spread to the other 8 guys sitting around us seemed to have us biting our tongue and not wishing to delve into politics at 8AM. 

Still 2 years to go so I assume their will be many more.

Me and a fellow yes man were having a discussion about how we subsidise England and they prefer to believe it's the other way around when a Unionist butted in absolutely seething at the SNP.
He snapped about "once in a lifetime" and was visibly raging at the thought of a 2nd referendum.
I was surprised the yes man is in fact a yes man as he worked down South a lot and also is a Rangers fan.
The unionist was making a fool of himself and telling us to "open yer eyes"  to which I never actually asked him what he meant.
His general rage at the topic and not wanting it to spread to the other 8 guys sitting around us seemed to have us biting our tongue and not wishing to delve into politics at 8AM. 

Pleasing

2 hours ago, kirkyblue2 said:

Where's the bit about storming the ramparts and smiting our enemy if the UK government says no?

49 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Visited my mum and dad a couple of days ago, for the first time since Sturgeons announcement. All was well until the news came on, then my dad started reflexively screaming stuff at the tv about Catholics, how fat Alex Salmond is and how much he hates the SNP with my mum nodding her agreement.

A long road to the next indyref awaits, sadly.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

17 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Visited my mum and dad a couple of days ago, for the first time since Sturgeons announcement. All was well until the news came on, then my dad started reflexively screaming stuff at the tv about Catholics, how fat Alex Salmond is and how much he hates the SNP with my mum nodding her agreement.

What is it about vast swathes of our grey haired citizens that makes them so utterly apopleptic about the SNP?

For all the mewling from Unionists about cybernats and division, there is no rage quite as fearsome as that belonging to your average SNP-hater.

Imagine voting no because salmond is fat [emoji2]

9 minutes ago, Fide said:

What is it about vast swathes of our grey haired citizens that makes them so utterly apopleptic about the SNP?

For all the mewling from Unionists about cybernats and division, there is no rage quite as fearsome as that belonging to your average SNP-hater.

Bloody SNP, asking them to prove they're the "proud and patriotic Scots" they've always claimed to be by asking them whether Scotland should be an internationally-recognised nation state! Time was you could just pretend you saw Scotland as a worthy country whilst enjoying it being a wee northern part of glorious Great Britain.

"WE WERE IN A WAR YOU KNOW!"

IMG_9606.JPG