Bundesliga 2023/24

Bayern, RB Leipzig @ Dortmund secure the CL group stage spots. Hoffenheim go into the CL qualifiers.

Are Leipzig going to be allowed to play in the CL though? Read something the other day about Leipzig possibly being denied playing in the CL as Red Bull own both them and Salzburg and there being some conflict of interests, but as Salzburg won their league, they get CL.

As long as H96 don't shit the bed tomorrow, then it'll be Wolfsburg v. Braunschweig.

1st leg is in Wolfsburg on Thursday, 24th.

That day is also Ascension Day, which is a national holiday in Germany. Is also celebrated as Vatertag (Father's day), whereby groups of men go out for a bit of male bonding and get Jagfoxd as quickly as possible, which should lead to a fired up atmosphere in the stadium.

Have been offered a free VIP hospitality pass, so will enjoy watching the carnage from the padded seats.

Would have to be one monster shit to overtake H96 though? Best case scenario (for me) would be for H96 and Braunschweig to go up and Stuttgart to make a monumental cod of it and then lose to Wolfsburg in the playoff. Won't happen though, sadly.

48 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Are Leipzig going to be allowed to play in the CL though? Read something the other day about Leipzig possibly being denied playing in the CL as Red Bull own both them and Salzburg and there being some conflict of interests, but as Salzburg won their league, they get CL.

Salzburg, I believe, would go into the qualifiers for the CL. Leipzig would automatically go into the group stage. It's an understandable but really daft rule.

It's further back in this very thread. If UEFA decide there is a conflict of interest (which they probably won't tbh) then Salzburg would go into the CL since they placed higher than Leipzig (1st vs 2nd) even though Salzburg would have to go through the qualifiers. Leipzig would presumably be allowed into the Europa League but I'm not sure if they'd have to scratch if Salzburg dropped down by losing their qualifier or finished third in their group?

36 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

It's further back in this very thread. If UEFA decide there is a conflict of interest (which they probably won't tbh) then Salzburg would go into the CL since they placed higher than Leipzig (1st vs 2nd) even though Salzburg would have to go through the qualifiers. Leipzig would presumably be allowed into the Europa League but I'm not sure if they'd have to scratch if Salzburg dropped down by losing their qualifier or finished third in their group?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/33855/10878880/rb-leipzig-set-to-miss-out-on-champions-league-due-to-uefa-ruling

There's your answer. Being polite, it'd be incredibly harsh if that happened.

I suppose it's better than getting through a couple of rounds in the Europa League then having to scratch when another team owned by the same marketing firm drop down from the tournament above. 

FWIW, I think UEFA will allow it this year but I can see this kind of thing cropping up again in the future as more big firms snap up teams from various countries. 

Just now, Allan Jacobsen said:

They'll just poach replacements from Dortmund.

True, they've had some fantastic players from there, which is a bit of a shame when you think how good Dortmund could be if they'd managed to keep hold of their best players season after season.

True, they've had some fantastic players from there, which is a bit of a shame when you think how good Dortmund could be if they'd managed to keep hold of their best players season after season.

I'm intrigued by the rumours of Favre replacing Tuchel. Tuchel has a 53% win rate, which would normally be excellent. However, Dortmund have had quite a few daft losses/draws since he took charge - proportinately more than under Klopp. I think he is unlucky, but also lucky, that he came in after Klopp. Klopp stabilised Dortmund and will, rightly, be an icon to Dortmund supporters. Tuchel has benefitted from that. However, he has suffered because he has replaced arguably the best manager they've had since Ottmar Hitzfeld (also a 53% win record). I'd say think Moyes coming in after Fergie but on a smaller level but maybe that's a bit too far.  

From what I've seen of Favre, he improves the team short-term but after 2-3 years, it tends to plateau at best. I'm sure I'm well off with that assumption. The problem is that I don't know who could take Dortmund to the next level permanently.

Of course, this may be, and probably is, all waffle.

Decent shout comparing Klopp/Tuchel with the Fergie/Moyes situation. Tough gig for Tuchel, but if he is replaced, I think he will have absolutely no trouble in landing a top job outside the Bundesliga if he wants one. Probably half a dozen EPL chairmen who wouldn't think twice about potting their current manager to appoint him.

Klopp has done pretty well and his mate Wagner has done miracles at Huddersfield. Absolutely 100% certain Tuchel would be a big hit too.