Yet another US shooting

FBI were warned about the guy on a public tip off line and didn't forward it on.
Add that to them being unable to track him to his YouTube accounts and there's been an almighty f**k up.

The FBI are suffering from having far too much data and as such as are unable to chase up every potential problem case and are unable to interpret a lot of what they’re given. It’s a problem of their own making though with what passes for possible radicalisation among Muslims and other broad indicators.

A very emotional speech here from one of the students at the school. It's a bit shouty in places but you can fully understand why.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/17/us/florida-student-emma-gonzalez-speech/index.html

I particularly liked this quote:

We know that they are claiming mental health issues, and I am not a psychologist, but we need to pay attention to the fact that this was not just a mental health issue. He would not have harmed that many students with a knife.

Edited by RiG

I particularly liked this quote:
We know that they are claiming mental health issues, and I am not a psychologist, but we need to pay attention to the fact that this was not just a mental health issue. He would not have harmed that many students with a knife.

He would have still got his hands on a gun if he really wanted one though even if there were tighter gun laws. There are 300 million guns in America so what really would be required would be a mass gun amnesty. Will that ever happen?

He would have still got his hands on a gun if he really wanted one though even if there were tighter gun laws. There are 300 million guns in America so what really would be required would be a mass gun amnesty. Will that ever happen?
If he'd really want to? There's the key. Make it much, much more difficult for these troubled people to get hold of guns that can do this kind of damage.

There's no perfect solution but the Australians showed how it's done.

13 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Looking at Twitter, it’s genuinely frightening how protective Americans are of “their” guns. Any mention of the smallest gun control gets shot down almost immediately, without any sort of coherent counter-argument.

Very good.

If he'd really want to? There's the key. Make it much, much more difficult for these troubled people to get hold of guns that can do this kind of damage.

There's no perfect solution but the Australians showed how it's done.

I’m not convinced it would be particularly hard for anyone to get their hands on a gun though even if stricter gun laws were enforced. The guns and gun culture are already rife there and much of the population believe gun ownership is a basic freedom so the problem won’t be eradicated with tighter gun laws like it did in Australia.

5 minutes ago, throbber said:

I’m not convinced it would be particularly hard for anyone to get their hands on a gun though even if stricter gun laws were enforced. The guns and gun culture are already rife there and much of the population believe gun ownership is a basic freedom so the problem won’t be eradicated with tighter gun laws like it did in Australia.

Every journey starts with a single step.

The alternative is to do nothing.

18 minutes ago, throbber said:

I suppose you’re right but I can’t help but feel that the situation will never be resolved.

You can change em Throbs.   You can be the next POTUS. 

Think big.  

You're right they would need an amnesty - but again the Australian model is the one to follow.

I think they will...eventually...get this sorted (not entirely but a massive reduction in guns).

It will take time though.

The Jim jeffries comedy sketch is bang on though, it's an irrational love for guns that has to be overcome.