Yet another US shooting

19 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Being able to fire a few rounds over the kids heads might help with behaviour. Although I'm not sure everyone would leave my Friday afternoon Maths lessons alive.

How do you feel your teaching interview would have gone if you'd been asked "Can you handle a weapon? Can you kill?"

4 hours ago, Fullerene said:

No.  The second amendment was to do with the fact that the USA started off with no army or navy (or air force) and had to do something to protect itself.  Asking every man to help out seemed the logical answer at the time.  Somebody told me they now have a navy and army and air force so maybe it is time to review the situation.

Yes, that's why it says well regulated militia or whatever.  

1 hour ago, AyrshireTon said:

This may have been suggested, but would a compromise not be to have all guns registered and stored at some sort of local gun club, where they can only be handled and fired within the grounds of said club? If you move house then your guns get delivered to your new local club. If you're found guilty of a crime which makes you a danger, your guns are destroyed and applying for another one should become very difficult. The gun nuts can still own a gun, just not at home.

Probably never work.

Way too rational for America. And you have hunters to think about, although they could probably manage without assault rifles with massive bullet containers so you don't need to reload until you've killed a whole herd of gnu. The rules used to be stricter though. Bring back Al Capone!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2018/02/15/laws-we-used-to-have-on-the-books-could-have-prevented-the-florida-school-shooting/?utm_term=.00cf1e861b60

49 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

How do you feel your teaching interview would have gone if you'd been asked "Can you handle a weapon? Can you kill?"

Well, if it's good enough for the kids...

Thinking about some of the headcases that taught me at secondary school, the idea of giving them guns is f*cking terrifying. 

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

"I have a 2:1 in Social Sciences from Edinburgh and a 92% in target practice".

FBI were warned about the guy on a public tip off line and didn't forward it on.

Add that to them being unable to track him to his YouTube accounts and there's been an almighty f**k up.

Perhaps or perhaps not. Calls for the head of the FBI to resign over it are entirely careerist.

3 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

This may have been suggested, but would a compromise not be to have all guns registered and stored at some sort of local gun club, where they can only be handled and fired within the grounds of said club? If you move house then your guns get delivered to your new local club. If you're found guilty of a crime which makes you a danger, your guns are destroyed and applying for another one should become very difficult. The gun nuts can still own a gun, just not at home.

Probably never work.

What if the King Of England walks in and starts shoving you around?

47 minutes ago, mjw said:

FBI were warned about the guy on a public tip off line and didn't forward it on.
Add that to them being unable to track him to his YouTube accounts and there's been an almighty f**k up.

Probably get hunners of thousands of them, not only from Clyde fans.

I know but to be fair its really hard to take a username (which was the boys actual name) find out where the comment was made from (ip address check) and knock his door.

9 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I know but to be fair its really hard to take a username (which was the boys actual name) find out where the comment was made from (ip address check) and knock his door.

Given the amount of fuckwit comments young folk make on social media is it realistic for the authorities to follow up any of them?

27 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

@Rod might be getting a knock on the door anytime soon.

I was in the US this week, so for the first time was able to watch the US news properly in the aftermath.

I was treated to Fox, where they had an "expert" suggest that the only way to protect schools was to follow the ultra-successful Israeli model, where the school is on total lockdown, and several of the teachers are carrying hidden weapons.

I also saw the NBC coverage of Trump's speech, where the first thing they did was point out and criticise the fact he never once used the word "gun". They also were quick to establish that the Florida Governor's press conference immediately beforehand seemed to show he was at odds with Trump, when they had previously been close political allies.

58 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I was in the US this week, so for the first time was able to watch the US news properly in the aftermath.

I was treated to Fox, where they had an "expert" suggest that the only way to protect schools was to follow the ultra-successful Israeli model, where the school is on total lockdown, and several of the teachers are carrying hidden weapons.

I also saw the NBC coverage of Trump's speech, where the first thing they did was point out and criticise the fact he never once used the word "gun". They also were quick to establish that the Florida Governor's press conference immediately beforehand seemed to show he was at odds with Trump, when they had previously been close political allies.

Why would they want to follow Israel?  It’s a repressive society full of religious nutters and the head of government is corrupt.