Yet another US shooting

15 hours ago, smpar said:

Gun’s don’t kill people!!1!!!!!

13 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Bullets do.. 

Actually it turns out that doors do.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/texas-shooting-santa-fe-school-doors-dan-patrick-lieutenant-governor-a8358691.html

Imagine trying so hard to avoid mentioning gun control in your address that you imply doors are the issue :lol:

Who needs more ways to get out of a building in the event of a fire, anyway? Or you know, another shooting, let's just have the kids are forming a single file line to get themselves out of there. Having more people having to go to the same area obviously isn't playing into the shooter's hands and making them easier targets. :1eye

Imagine being so bitched by contributions from the NRA and scared of losing votes that you actually pretend these are the ways America should move forward:lol:

Nothing's going to change there, not for years at least.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Maybe he’s just not a big Jim Morrison fan.

1 hour ago, Louis Litt said:

Imagine trying so hard to avoid mentioning gun control in your address that you imply doors are the issue :lol:

Who needs more ways to get out of a building in the event of a fire, anyway? Or you know, another shooting, let's just have the kids are forming a single file line to get themselves out of there. Having more people having to go to the same area obviously isn't playing into the shooter's hands and making them easier targets. :1eye

Imagine being so bitched by contributions from the NRA and scared of losing votes that you actually pretend these are the ways America should move forward:lol:

Nothing's going to change there, not for years at least.

They also suggested buckets of rocks to be left in every school for kids to throw at shooters.

In reality there are three issues.  People here only discussing one.  Gun control obviously, but also America spends virtually nothing on mental health, if you're poor you can't get help, and also it's a very and I mean VERY over medicated society, from very very young kids get given pills for everything and anything (the result of profit motive in healthcare) and virtually everyone is on something.

Put those three things together that's why this keeps happening.  It's not just gun control, and people here need to understand gun control won't stop it as there are already about 330 million guns in circulation and gun control would take hardly any of them off the street.

As a country its basically fkd until technological advancements provide effective solutions.

They also suggested buckets of rocks to be left in every school for kids to throw at shooters.

In reality there are three issues.  People here only discussing one.  Gun control obviously, but also America spends virtually nothing on mental health, if you're poor you can't get help, and also it's a very and I mean VERY over medicated society, from very very young kids get given pills for everything and anything (the result of profit motive in healthcare) and virtually everyone is on something.
Put those three things together that's why this keeps happening.  It's not just gun control, and people here need to understand gun control won't stop it as there are already about 330 million guns in circulation and gun control would take hardly any of them off the street.
As a country its basically fkd until technological advancements provide effective solutions.

This article appears to dispute this and says that the link is more limited than people think.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/us/politics/fact-check-parkland-gun-violence-mental-illness.html

5 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

I don't disagree with you but they are all peripheral to the biggest cause - which is the American myth of the Citizen Warrior.

Lots of Americans (including a bloke I was talking to in Brighton yesterday) are convinced that that an armed citizenry brought about its 18th Century revolution. This is the narrative that justifies their exploitation by the NRA and the arms manufacturers. "You used your guns to create America - now use them to keep your country safe".

Unfortunately it's a myth.  What made the revolution secure was a professional French army and navy, not an armed citizenry.  A 2nd amendment that reflects historical truth should say something like, "“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to have a hotline to France, shall not be infringed.”

I am sure that the John Rambo/Citizen Warrior trope is deeply ingrained in the psyche of a significant number of Americans and is the greatest contributor to these mass shootings.   I have absolutely no confidence that this will ever get resolved and will only get worse.

9 hours ago, NotThePars said:

This article appears to dispute this and says that the link is more limited than people think.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/us/politics/fact-check-parkland-gun-violence-mental-illness.html

I would say anybody who takes a gun to school and shoots fellow pupils obviously has a mental health issue so the link is fundamental.

8 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I don't disagree with you but they are all peripheral to the biggest cause - which is the American myth of the Citizen Warrior.

Lots of Americans (including a bloke I was talking to in Brighton yesterday) are convinced that that an armed citizenry brought about its 18th Century revolution. This is the narrative that justifies their exploitation by the NRA and the arms manufacturers. "You used your guns to create America - now use them to keep your country safe".

Unfortunately it's a myth.  What made the revolution secure was a professional French army and navy, not an armed citizenry.  A 2nd amendment that reflects historical truth should say something like, "“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to have a hotline to France, shall not be infringed.”

I am sure that the John Rambo/Citizen Warrior trope is deeply ingrained in the psyche of a significant number of Americans and is the greatest contributor to these mass shootings.   I have absolutely no confidence that this will ever get resolved and will only get worse.

I think that's the reason people are so opposed to gun control not necessarily why there are mass shootings.  I also think hormones in their food is a contributory factor too.

13 minutes ago, Karpaty said:

Unbelievable.

Only in the US could someone come up with a bright idea like that.