Yet another US shooting

Pictures have emerged of the shooter wearing one of Trumps MAGA baseball caps and he was also a member of a white nationalist group.

Trump supporters however have taken these images and photoshopped Antifa symbols onto the cap instead.

*facepalm*

Edited by RiG

Just had conversation with my friend there, he said the 2nd Amendment was righten up because of us Loyalist (British) back in 1812, since we burnt down the White House (not named that then). So, it the fucking **** that screwed them. Love it.

The #MAGA folk are rushing to defend the good name of the store which sold the gun to Cruz. Some of my favourite reviews below. "More guns = less violence". Jesus wept.

2.png.71bdb5fd607bba6f4b25dc2ddec25e09.png1.png.d6d63023aad88856ca58c719f0174660.png

55 minutes ago, RiG said:

Pictures have emerged of the shooter wearing one of Trumps MAGA baseball caps and he was also a member of a white nationalist group.

Trump supporters however have taken these images and photoshopped Antifa symbols onto the cap instead.

*facepalm*

Or possibly the Left have photoshopped  him wearing a Trump cap!

Depends where or what you read he's either left or right.

9 minutes ago, sureiknow said:

The picture was on his instagram page, and fellow students say he wore it to school on occasion. Haven't seen any evidence for him being left wing.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/nikolas-cruz-trained-with-florida-white-supremacist-group-leader-says

The picture was on his instagram page, and fellow students say he wore it to school on occasion. Haven't seen any evidence for him being left wing.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/nikolas-cruz-trained-with-florida-white-supremacist-group-leader-says

Who gives a duck If he was left or right. This is all political boxing which this has nothing to do with. I read on Fox news yesterday that he was a registered (D). They were all up in arms, moist joyless, that it wasn't one of them....ffs.

I know P&B is full of pointless debate, it’s what we do best, but there’s nothing more pointless than this one. 

Support for a constitutional clause introduced well over 200 years ago when the US and the rest of the world was a completely different place will continue to take precedence over common sense and innocent lives.

I know P&B is full of pointless debate, it’s what we do best, but there’s nothing more pointless than this one. 
Support for a constitutional clause introduced well over 200 years ago when the US and the rest of the world was a completely different place will continue to take precedence over common sense and innocent lives.

You are of course right there.

However the mind boggles that a country that sees themselves as possibly the most progressive country on the planet refuse to budge on such an archaic law in spite of the repeated evidence put in front of them.

The mind also boggles that the idea of preventing regular mass shooting of children is considered a ‘leftist agenda’. And I say that as someone who doesn’t consider themselves particularly left wing!

4 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Just had conversation with my friend there, he said the 2nd Amendment was righten up because of us Loyalist (British) back in 1812, since we burnt down the White House (not named that then). So, it the fucking **** that screwed them. Love it.

No.  The second amendment was to do with the fact that the USA started off with no army or navy (or air force) and had to do something to protect itself.  Asking every man to help out seemed the logical answer at the time.  Somebody told me they now have a navy and army and air force so maybe it is time to review the situation.

As someone has already said, gun control wouldn't solve the problem quickly enough for anyone in power to be willing to risk their political career by suggesting it.

Perhaps democracies ought to have a rule whereby every ten years or so a benevolent dictator gets to implement the long-term solutions the country needs without fear of being kicked out of office.

Edited by nsr

I hadn't really thought that through, had I? [emoji33]
It's mental no matter how you look at it.
I just find it mind boggling that in a supposedly developed country that they have to teach kids how to defend themselves from potentially being killed in class.

I'm sure it will be on here somewhere already, but Jim Jefferies pretty much slaughters the pro gun argument on here. As he says, one of the biggest problems is that laws made in the 18th century can't possibly control 21st century weaponry.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

You are of course right there.

However the mind boggles that a country that sees themselves as possibly the most progressive country on the planet refuse to budge on such an archaic law in spite of the repeated evidence put in front of them.

The mind also boggles that the idea of preventing regular mass shooting of children is considered a ‘leftist agenda’. And I say that as someone who doesn’t consider themselves particularly left wing!

"Most progressive country on the planet..."?  You are correct that many in the US see themselves as a very progressive country.  That in itself is laughable.

Don't know if you're familiar with the brilliant opening scene from Newsroom, the drama that starred Jeff Daniels, but in that scene his character described the a United States and their delusion with themselves beautifully.

Sometimes fiction offers the best portrayal of fact.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

"Most progressive country on the planet..."?  You are correct that many in the US see themselves as a very progressive country.  That in itself is laughable.

Don't know if you're familiar with the brilliant opening scene from Newsroom, the drama that starred Jeff Daniels, but in that scene his character described the a United States and their delusion with themselves beautifully.

Sometimes fiction offers the best portrayal of fact.

Yep fully familiar with that video and it sums them up perfectly (although wasn't a fan of Newsroom, personally).

I think we're in full agreement about their delusion though.

Americans often talk about "America the Free". To which the obvious question is "Freedom from who?" (or "Freedom from whom?" if you insist).

To which they would probably say "The Government."

In a sense,country I can understand why.  Their ancestors left some other country to escape oppression from "the government" of whatever country they came from.
Nazi Germany is an obvious example but there are several others including these islands as you obviously know.

Yeah they probably realise that the gun situation in America is out of control.  You go to school to receive an education although you might get shot.
Similarly, a sleepover might be fatal because somebody finds their Dad's gun.

However, for some of them, a ban on guns would be "the government" being the solution - and they just don't  ever want "the government" being the solution.

Make of that what you like.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I heard someone talking recently about the difference between China and the USA, saying that America change their Government but not their policies  and China changes their policies but not their government.

This may have been suggested, but would a compromise not be to have all guns registered and stored at some sort of local gun club, where they can only be handled and fired within the grounds of said club? If you move house then your guns get delivered to your new local club. If you're found guilty of a crime which makes you a danger, your guns are destroyed and applying for another one should become very difficult. The gun nuts can still own a gun, just not at home.

Probably never work.

14 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

This may have been suggested, but would a compromise not be to have all guns registered and stored at some sort of local gun club, where they can only be handled and fired within the grounds of said club? If you move house then your guns get delivered to your new local club. If you're found guilty of a crime which makes you a danger, your guns are destroyed and applying for another one should become very difficult. The gun nuts can still own a gun, just not at home.

Probably never work.

That wouldn't work - how could you shoot a burglar that broke in? Or your drunken next door neighbour who came into the wrong house?