Yet another US shooting

13 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Its going to be 3 years at least before anything gets done about these kind of things, Trump isn't exactly one to reassess and change his view.

He apparently decided to launch his cruise missiles at Syria after seeing footage from a bombing on the internet. I wouldn't hold my breath hoping he'll have any kind of empathetic reaction to these clips taken by kids under fire in their classrooms.

1 hour ago, chomp my root said:

Its going to be 3 years at least before anything gets done about these kind of things, Trump isn't exactly one to reassess and change his view.

He went from pro gun control to full 2nd amendment NRA raging nutcase overnight.

Edited by welshbairn

For once the problem isn't Trump, its the American people themselves. Many of them enjoy their gun culture and have no desire to see it changed. They'll be shocked when people die in events like this, but they don't care, not enough to think they should ruin their enjoyment.

If Trump thought it would keep him in the limelight and keep his popularity high, he'd change the laws tomorrow. Like our own politicians, I don't think he really believes in anything enough not to jettison it when he can do something to keep himself rich and powerful.

32 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

For once the problem isn't Trump, its the American people themselves. Many of them enjoy their gun culture and have no desire to see it changed. They'll be shocked when people die in events like this, but they don't care, not enough to think they should ruin their enjoyment.

Yup.

This isn't, for once, a Republican v Democrat thing. This is an American thing. This sort of thing is acceptable to them. It's just a cost of business of living in the US.

"You know I never understood why you gun control people don't all join the NRA. They've got two million members. You bring three million to the next meeting, call a vote. All those in favor of tossing guns... bam! Move on."

As has been mentioned before, Obama set up rules and regulations making it harder for people with mental illnesses to buy guns. Trump revoked it for, erm, reasons.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-signs-bill-revoking-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-n727221

Edited by RiG

"You know I never understood why you gun control people don't all join the NRA. They've got two million members. You bring three million to the next meeting, call a vote. All those in favor of tossing guns... bam! Move on."

“It’s time for the ceremonial vote: do we take away the guns or keep em? I don’t know why we do this. Charlton Heston instituted it in the deepest throes of alzheimer’s and we have to respect that. The guns win. Every year. I sure hope no libs enlisted at the last minute to throw the vote!”

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I can think of a couple of reasons why anti-gun folk might be reluctant to pursue this option.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Yup.

This isn't, for once, a Republican v Democrat thing. This is an American thing. This sort of thing is acceptable to them. It's just a cost of business of living in the US.

https://qz.com/1095899/gun-ownership-in-america-in-three-charts/

It's not really though. 3% of Americans own half the guns. And only 25% own any.

It's entirely a lobbying issue. "Do you want gun control or $3million for your campaign Mr. Senator?"

c***s.

6 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

https://qz.com/1095899/gun-ownership-in-america-in-three-charts/

It's not really though. 3% of Americans own half the guns. And only 25% own any.

It's entirely a lobbying issue. "Do you want gun control or $3million for your campaign Mr. Senator?"

c***s.

The NRA don't actually spend that much in lobbying and campaign contributions compared to Pharma, health insurance, energy sectors etc. It's the kiss of death for some candidates if they say you're a gun hating pussy though.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, RiG said:

As has been mentioned before, Obama set up rules and regulations making it harder for people with mental illnesses to buy guns. Trump revoked it for, erm, reasons.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-signs-bill-revoking-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-n727221

And people on the no fly list because of suspected terrorist links. :1eye

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The NRA don't actually spend that much in lobbying and campaign contributions compared to Pharma, health insurance, energy sectors etc. It's the kiss of death for some candidates if they say you're a gun hating pussy though.

Aye, compared to 3 of the biggest sectors, what should be a hobbyists part of the economy I imagine it is relatively small.  But clearly the choice isn't take the money or not, it's take the money or we tell everyone you're a "gun hating pussy."

Looks like the cops were none too gentle when they arrested the shooter.

From about 150 feet away, Nembhard watched as authorities handcuffed Cruz and put him into a police cruiser. A few minutes later, authorities took him out and put him into an ambulance.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/02/15/florida-shooting-suspect-nikolas-cruz-guns-depression-and-a-life-in-free-fall/?utm_term=.a5fc23aa8768