Parking fines

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Identification of the driver is key to all of this. As is complete refusal to acknowledge or engage with them if you decide to f**k them off.

Obviously this isn't legal advice, but I have dingied at least 6 of these on the basis that they have failed to send a charge to the driver of the car at the time (Or I am refusing to incriminate myself)

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

lerZcB.gif

Cheers, I think it'll be getting dingied then. 

• 8 months later...
On 8/17/2018 at 23:56, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

What's the story with these nowadays? Mainly thanks to my bird I've got three or four of these now (may even be five). Will I be taken to court? I've just totally ignored them so far and the letters go to my parent's address.

Assuming these are tickets from private companies, you probably wont get taken to court. 

As is often the way, people taking the piss have ruined it.  Folk who racked up thousands of pounds worth of tickets made it worthwhile for the companies to pursue test cases and for the courts to make a determination.

Don't let anyone tell you they are unenforceable, courts will enforce these tickets. The courts have also determined these fines can be punitive and do not have to be based on a pre-estimate of loss.

However, in Scotland they still need to be enforced against the person who was driving at the time. 

I would still be for ignoring them in this case but folk should be careful about building up too many, especially with same companies.

59 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Assuming these are tickets from private companies, you probably wont get taken to court. 

As is often the way, people taking the piss have ruined it.  Folk who racked up thousands of pounds worth of tickets made it worthwhile for the companies to pursue test cases and for the courts to make a determination.

Don't let anyone tell you they are unenforceable, courts will enforce these tickets. The courts have also determined these fines can be punitive and do not have to be based on a pre-estimate of loss.

However, in Scotland they still need to be enforced against the person who was driving at the time. 

I would still be for ignoring them in this case but folk should be careful about building up too many, especially with same companies.

Yeah they are. A couple of them are an utter joke like 'parking permit slightly obscured' when I've parked in my actual parking spot. I'll be ignoring them but getting a bit uneasy with having quite a few of them now.

• 3 months later...

We picked up one of these after parking in the Doctors surgery car park just round the corner from Megazone in Falkirk, which had previously been a free hit, but is now run by private company.

Based on stories on here (and I checked the Citizens Advice website too) I have been dutifully ignoring all letters.  We have now moved on to a letter from QDR Solicitors, strongly worded that if we don't pay it 'may result in us recommending that it gets passed to another bunch of solicitors, which may mean they will look to obtain a decree", and quoting Indigo Parking v Watson, Lindsay and Meachan from Sept 17.

Mrs R starting to get a bit antsy about it now (as the car is in her name).

Has anyone else got this far, if so, how much more threatening do the letters get?

More to the point, has anyone ever been taken to court about this yet?

EDIT - when even the Citizens Advice website is worded in a way that implies "just ignore it", you kinda know what to do.

Edited by Boghead ranter

5 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

We picked up one of these after parking in the Doctors surgery car park just round the corner from Megazone in Falkirk, which had previously been a free hit, but is now run by private company.

Based on stories on here (and I checked the Citizens Advice website too) I have been dutifully ignoring all letters.  We have now moved on to a letter from QDR Solicitors, strongly worded that if we don't pay it 'may result in us recommending that it gets passed to another bunch of solicitors, which may mean they will look to obtain a decree", and quoting Indigo Parking v Watson, Lindsay and Meachan from Sept 17.

Has anyone else got this far, if so, how much more threatening do the letters get?

EDIT - when even the Citizens Advice website is worded in a way that implies "just ignore it", you kinda know what to do.

You get increasingly threatening letters for 6-9 months as I recall, and then they stop. If it's a one off they won't take it to court, it's only if you do it repeatedly that it's worth their while. In that case they mention they were due £4000.

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Yes, a few folk who have racked up hundreds of them, making it financially worthwhile for the company to pursue.

No-one's going to take you to court for one private parking ticket.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You get increasingly threatening letters for 6-9 months as I recall, and then they stop. If it's a one off they won't take it to court, it's only if you do it repeatedly that it's worth their while. In that case they mention they were due £4000.

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Yes, a few folk who have racked up hundreds of them, making it financially worthwhile for the company to pursue.

No-one's going to take you to court for one private parking ticket.

Yeah, it's just one ticket.  With thanks to M'learned Falkirkers.

PS original charge £40-odd, current amount demanded £182.00.

Edited by Boghead ranter

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

Yeah, it's just one ticket.  With thanks to M'learned Falkirkers.

PS original charge £40-odd, current amount demanded £182.00.

Isn't there a danger that the current amount demanded will continue to increase to an amount that might be worth them taking you to court?

4 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Isn't there a danger that the current amount demanded will continue to increase to an amount that might be worth them taking you to court?

Hiya Mrs Ranter, what's for dinner?

Real answer - I think that for it to get to that point, we would have a defence that the charges levied are punitively excessive, based on the offence committed.  Or something.  But yeah, we can't be sure.

Edited by Boghead ranter

I got one from a private company after picking up a relative of my gf at the Holiday Inn near Edinburgh airport. It apparently said on a sign as you go in that you must report to reception if you are going to be parking there but we managed to get it waived after the people we picked up came up with an excuse involving our daughter but I was told at work to just ignore them and that it wouldn’t be enforceable and only ones given by the council should be paid.

15 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

That's the one I was thinking of.

And "wid".

7 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

You keep saying "we". Do the parking company think that both of you were driving? :)

They can only take an individual to court - not both of you. You don't have to tell them who was driving. If the car's in Mrs R's name and she wasn't driving, she has absolutely nothing to fear.