Parking fines

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I thought Scotland had stopped hospital parking charges everywhere. I actually wish Raigmore would bring them back, too many people taking the piss and using it as a park and ride so people who need to be there have nowhere to park.

Yes, absolute disgrace. Was there last Monday about 10am nowhere near visiting hours and still had to drive around for about 15 minutes to find a space. Fucking joke. 

This morning pn BBC Scotland, they had a solicitor talking about the nurses in Dundee. She was saying that these charges are enforceable, and to ignore them at your peril (even if they are sometimes unfair). However, she also mentioned that claiming that someone else was driving is no use unless you tell them who it was. I believe I asked this question before, but what's to stop me giving the details of a complete random / someone I don't like? Obviously, this person will tell them to GTF but does it fall back on me or can I just keep palming them off to someone else till they give up?

The tickets have always been enforceable.

To give them the name of another random is a criminal offence so don't go down that road. Just don't respond at all.

It goes without saying that the" don't respond they will give up" advice is sound for a couple of tickets. If you want to go and rack up thousands of pounds worth don't be surprised if they take more of an interest.

What Invergowrie Arab said. The tickets have always been enforceable and you are entering a whole different area if you were to provide false name to the company.

In England and Wales the Clause 8 of PoFA 2012 puts responsibility for the ticket with the registered keeper if the driver cannot be identified.

In Scotland the PoFA is not part of Scottish law, so whilst they can identify the registered keeper, as long as the driver is not identified then the onus is on the company to identify the driver and enforce the ticket. There is no obligation for the registered keeper in Scotland to identify the driver which is why they spam the registered keeper with the letters, hoping they'll either get fed up and confess or grass in the driver.

It's not worth the effort going to court/identifying the driver when the RK is ignoring them for a ticket with a £100 charge, however if you start churning up tickets worth £1000's then they will take it to court as it is now financially worth the effort.

The other thing is that as soon as the driver is identified then as the ticket is enforceable you need to pay up or contact the parking company to appeal.

All successful court case stories so far in Scotland ALL have the same element in that the driver has been identified, the parking companies just hope that by highlighting the fact they have successfully taken a driver to court over £1000's unpaid fines will scare RK's with outstanding tickets in Scotland into fessing up or passing on the drivers identity.

The true game changer will be when they successfully take a RK to court and win where the identity of the driver has not been confirmed.

Till then if it's one or two tickets with the company not aware of the drivers identity, you can continue to ignore.

So what about if I gave them the name and address of an obviously fictitious person? 

Last time I got a parking ticket, I decided to hit them up with the "Ah, it wasn't me, it was my friend driving" line. Obviously they came back and said "You need to tell us who it was"... I replied that I couldn't tell them for Data Protection reasons. At the time it seemed to work, although I'm guessing it was more because it was a solitary ticket rather than I'd outfoxed them. 

2 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

So what about if I gave them the name and address of an obviously fictitious person? 

Last time I got a parking ticket, I decided to hit them up with the "Ah, it wasn't me, it was my friend driving" line. Obviously they came back and said "You need to tell us who it was"... I replied that I couldn't tell them for Data Protection reasons. At the time it seemed to work, although I'm guessing it was more because it was a solitary ticket rather than I'd outfoxed them. 

I don't know why you would seeing as ignoring it is the better option. 

When it turns out no such person or street exists which will take them about 5 seconds to find out they will be back at you.

It might still conceivably be fraud.

When my daughter was in the special baby care unit as a newborn at Middlesbrough's James Cook hospital, I had to pay upwards of 5 quid a go to park there every night. That's a nice thing to do to someone who doesn't know if his baby is going to ever come home.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I don't know why you would seeing as ignoring it is the better option. 

When it turns out no such person or street exists which will take them about 5 seconds to find out they will be back at you.

It might still conceivably be fraud.

Cos I was trying to be a smart-arse. Wasn't actually considering giving them a false-name... I was just enjoying the banter with them and the icnreasingly colourful demand letters I was getting from them. I agree though ... the stone-cold dinghy is the best approach. 

Excellent news. I punted the old car to my nephew about a year ago so they can pester him for it and he can deny all knowledge.

I wouldn't be so sure.

I have been receiving letters from two fines I received in August 2014. The car I owned at that time I sold in June 2015. The house I am living in now where they are sending letters I didn't move into until May 2016 so they have managed to trace me.

Ps The letters are still getting ignored because it's only two fines and they can't identify who was driving so I will take my chances that they aren't gonna take me to court.

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 09:26, invergowrie arab said:

The tickets have always been enforceable.

To give them the name of another random is a criminal offence so don't go down that road. Just don't respond at all.

It goes without saying that the" don't respond they will give up" advice is sound for a couple of tickets. If you want to go and rack up thousands of pounds worth don't be surprised if they take more of an interest.

fuckin hell, that made way too much sense for this forum

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

What are folks thoughts on the parking meters that don't give out change? 

Obviously you can opt to park elsewhere but they seem like a massive premeditated con. 

They are a massive premeditated con. Dundee busses still run this scam.

9 hours ago, The Master said:

FTFY

I wouldn't be too disappointed if her life goes to shit now.

• 1 month later...
On 20/09/2017 at 10:40, nsr said:

When my daughter was in the special baby care unit as a newborn at Middlesbrough's James Cook hospital, I had to pay upwards of 5 quid a go to park there every night. That's a nice thing to do to someone who doesn't know if his baby is going to ever come home.

Whilst I agree it seems incredibly harsh considering a lot of people will be in situations like that, the money gathered from hospital parking charges does get used for necessary works on the hospital etc, so if  parking was made free that would be a huge dent in their budget.

2 hours ago, killiepiemuncher said:

Im not an expert but we are looking at GDPR stuff at work, its a pretty poorly researched article. For example, the right to deletion doesnt apply if your data is still being used legitimately. In other words, if you hold a driving license you cant ask the DVLA to delete your data -well you can, but they will be perfectly entitled to refuse.

The article does say that consent is just one justification for data processing. Theres no way the DVLA will use consent as its basis for collecting data.

The DVLA will also be counted as a "public body" so the justifications are different again.

ETA - if they'e been able to justify it under the current DPA its unlikely they wont be able to under GDPR

33 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Whilst I agree it seems incredibly harsh considering a lot of people will be in situations like that, the money gathered from hospital parking charges does get used for necessary works on the hospital etc, so if  parking was made free that would be a huge dent in their budget.

The new hospital in Dumfries opens next week. It has free parking

Edited by Mr X