Parking fines

Paid vs. payed
Paid is the standard past tense and participle of pay. Payed was historically used for the nautical senses of pay and in the phrasal verb pay out where what’s payed out is rope. The form still appears occasionally, but paid now prevails even in payed‘s traditional uses.

Oops, [emoji51] little typo there.

And yes I did pay, the wife nagged me for a week.

1 hour ago, killiepiemuncher said:

Paid vs. payed
Paid is the standard past tense and participle of pay. Payed was historically used for the nautical senses of pay and in the phrasal verb pay out where what’s payed out is rope. The form still appears occasionally, but paid now prevails even in payed‘s traditional uses.

Oops, emoji51.png little typo there.

And yes I did pay, the wife nagged me for a week.

You are a mug, and your wife is an idiot.

• 1 month later...

I try not to park like a dick, but occasionally I've received a ticket (usually in East Kilbride shopping centre) and ignored it with gay abandon. 

I was in the media centre in Manchester last month, and parked late at night in an empty supermarket car park for a couple of hours. Came back to a ticket demanding £100 (or £50 if I pay within 14 days). Obviously I threw it away, so I'm now waiting for the threatening letters to start. Having said that, I was reading this story (sorry, Daily Mail and ignore the hyperbole in the headline) where a woman actually got taken to court... so has the law changed and could I get hauled up before the beaks?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3889048/Mother-two-33-hit-185-fine-overstaying-time-car-park-TWO-SECONDS.html

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

There have been a couple of cases where the court have found in favour of the parking firm. IMO getting an 85 quid fine bumped up to 185 is well worth the risk of just rubbering it.

The fact these stories make the papers is telling if thousands of people were getting fined by courts every day you would soon here of it.

• 5 months later...
15 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Circumstances of that seem a bit different than just parking in tescos mind you. I'll still be ripping up the parking eye ones, not worth the money taking you to court for 1/2 invoices. She was blatantly aware of the need to have a permit and didn't have one.

She also 1) told them she was the driver and 2) agreed the settlement amount, under the false belief that the charges were unenforceable. Except by agreeing to them she made them enforceable. 

It strikes me she was just cocky. 

"Yea, I'm the driver. What you going to do about it?"
"Sue me then."
"Shit"

I was reading an article a while back that these parking companies are now looking for the general public (or Lee Wallace) to start sending them photos of people parked "illegally" in these shopping car parks. The company then send out the charge notice and if the mug owner of the car pays it then you get £10 for your troubles. At first I thought "aye, good luck with that" but the more I thought about it, the more I think there will be plenty absolute c***s out there willing to send these photos in for the slight chance of a tenner.

Anyone caught doing this should be hung, drawn and quartered.

As I said on the Things you want to share with Pie and Bovril thread - 

This, she's admitted she was the driver so they know for sure who the contract was with, she's broken a parking contract 245 times (based on the assumption it is £100 a notice), they have even appeared to have been in discussions about this with the offer of a parking permit being declined.

She's made it too easy for them to go to court and get the win.

Now her stupidity will mean they can probably cite this case on their notices and con more people into paying up when it can be safely ignored if it's a one off charge and the only information they have is when the charge occurred and who the registered keeper of the vehicle is.

45 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I was reading an article a while back that these parking companies are now looking for the general public (or Lee Wallace) to start sending them photos of people parked "illegally" in these shopping car parks. The company then send out the charge notice and if the mug owner of the car pays it then you get £10 for your troubles. At first I thought "aye, good luck with that" but the more I thought about it, the more I think there will be plenty absolute c***s out there willing to send these photos in for the slight chance of a tenner.

I'd deliberately park "illegally" and grass myself in for an easy tenner. However, I think I'm right in saying that you only get the money once the mug has paid their "fine". 

Just now, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I'd deliberately park "illegally" and grass myself in for an easy tenner. However, I think I'm right in saying that you only get the money once the mug has paid their "fine". 

Yes. That exact thought crossed my mind too but the fly b*****ds have it covered.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I was told that they did something like this in Berlin with littering. Basically, take a pic of someone littering and Lee Wallace them and if they get fined, you get a proportion of the fine. Made a huge improvement in the streets almost overnight apparently.

16 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

I was told that they did something like this in Berlin with littering. Basically, take a pic of someone littering and Lee Wallace them and if they get fined, you get a proportion of the fine. Made a huge improvement in the streets almost overnight apparently.

I must be slow as f**k at getting my phone out and punching in my pin and finding my camera and then getting it to focus.

By that point the Council will have swept it up wi 1 of their wee machines.

3 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Thinking back. I think this was pre-mobile phones so it may well just have been a case of reporting someone. I don't know how it worked other than it was bloody effective.

Instead of littering are you not thinking of having counter revolutionary thoughts?

4 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Thinking back. I think this was pre-mobile phones so it may well just have been a case of reporting someone. I don't know how it worked other than it was bloody effective.

Was it East Berlin or West Berlin?