The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Interestingly the article from GMFC.net McKinnon also also suggests that Jamie McGowan could have a second chance with Morton:

The Ton boss also revealed that he has invited goalkeeper Jamie McGowan, whose contract expired at the end of last season, in for pre-season training in order to have a look at the 21-year-old.

He added: “Young Jamie is coming in this week as well. I want to have a look at him because I heard he was decent. There might be an opportunity for him to stay at the club if he impresses.”

While it's disappointing having been linked with players the calibre of Bell, at leaat with Gaston staying around we're no worse off for first choice than we were last season.

He's one of those players where fans of his previous clubs are in near universal agreement about him being pish and that's particularly worrying when it's a goalkeeper, but on the plus side that also applied to Andy McNeil when he was brought in as second choice and he turned out to be solid for us, so I'll cling to that warped logic.

On 02/06/2018 at 11:44, Allan Jacobsen said:

Potentially quite pleased with that signing. Decent goal return if I am correct.

On 02/06/2018 at 11:45, IainMorton said:

Expect him to score at least ten goals against us next season :( 

On 02/06/2018 at 11:46, Allan Jacobsen said:

Why? Have you signed Ryan Scully? :unsure2:

This is my fault. Honestly, I'm really sorry. :(

Scully had a really good spell with us, decent signing IMO, especially if he’s just going to be second choice to Gaston.

I understand Thistle fans are far from keen on RS though.

35 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

He's one of those players where fans of his previous clubs are in near universal agreement about him being pish 

Dunfermline fans will be pretty complimentary about him tbf, I liked him as a keeper. 

He needs a good run of games to improve though, he's the standard "good shot stopper", aswell as that though he was willing to come for crosses and very, very decent at one on one's. His positioning though was poor and was likely to make him look foolish. 

Came in and did us a turn during a period when we were absolutely gubbins, wish him all the best. 

38 minutes ago, smpar said:

Scully had a really good spell with us, decent signing IMO, especially if he’s just going to be second choice to Gaston.

I understand Thistle fans are far from keen on RS though.

He had a couple of decent matches for us years ago when he was cover for Fox, but hasn’t really performed well in recent years, whenever Cerny was injured. Some of those poor performances have been absolute howlers too.

Good luck to him. 

34 minutes ago, boulderdomb said:

https://gmfc.net/2018/06/20/motherwell-forward-maclean-joins-on-loan/

Ross MacLean joins on year long loan from Motherwell.

Deal includes a recall option after 6 months depending on his performance which suggests to me he might be a decent player for us?

Sounds promising. Still no update on Jai yet. Wonder if he is weighing up other clubs?

6 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

Sounds promising. Still no update on Jai yet. Wonder if he is weighing up other clubs?

A deadline has been given to those out of contract. Hopefully know for sure by the end of the week I'd imagine. 

36 minutes ago, Scosha said:

A deadline has been given to those out of contract. Hopefully know for sure by the end of the week I'd imagine. 

If we withdraw the offers for Russell and Quitongo we'll be putting ourselves in the position of getting no compensation if they sign for someone else though.

Good move by you guys to take McLean. Will give 100% effort and in my opinion is a very decent player.

Has a cracking delivery from set plays and an eye for goal. Not really given a chance at Fir Park last year but highly thought off.

2 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

Good move by you guys to take McLean. Will give 100% effort and in my opinion is a very decent player.

Has a cracking delivery from set plays and an eye for goal. Not really given a chance at Fir Park last year but highly thought off.

Cheers for the feedback. Sounds promising. I think he will be utilised more as a winger rather than a striker. What would you say is his best position? 

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

If we withdraw the offers for Russell and Quitongo we'll be putting ourselves in the position of getting no compensation if they sign for someone else though.

That's not how it works. He has to have been made an offer by a particular date (three months prior to expiry?) but the offer doesn't need to be held open indefinitely. That would be mental.

Edit: 60 days prior to expiry. 

https://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/02/70/95/52/regulationsonthestatusandtransferofplayersjune2016_e_neutral.pdf

Edited by Pull My Strings