The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

I don't think you understand what "freedom of movement" is champ. Brush up on that - and how to quote a post without producing an abortion like the above - before you slither onto the forum again.

The great unwashed fighting amongst themselves......gloroius:lol:

Erm no, we wouldn't be "denying him a bigger move" - we'd be exercising the terms of a contract for twelve months - after which he is a free agent subject to compensation fee being reached. Very, very straightforward stuff, which is how the transfer market has worked for two decades now. Hardly a Jim McLean length of servitude, but if he's "unhappy" about that, tough.

I'd also like to see some categorical evidence that holding a player to the last twelve months of a contract has ever "put off youngsters from signing" - for Morton or any other professional football club. Because if they're looking around for some mug club to actually flog them off for less than the cost of replacing the player and far less than the club's rightful compensation fee, then they'll be struggling.

No salient points ? Oh yeh VT so this gibberish gumbo is your idea of the constituent parts of players contracts including supplementary contracts, side agreements and letters of wishes is it?

Interesting to know you think that a reputation for denying youngsters opportunities to better themselves when they arise will somehow encourage others to sign for us rather than competitors. Why not go further and put all those not agreeing to an offered contact extension on the bench for the rest of their contract. That would really teach them a lesson wouldn't it and really enhance the club'sreputation . Joe Stalin would really approve of that.

VT, always destructive never constructive. Why not break the mould and give us the names now of the five players we should be signing.

No salient points ? Oh yeh VT so this gibberish gumbo is your idea of the constituent parts of players contracts including supplementary contracts, side agreements and letters of wishes is it?

^^^ word salad

Interesting to know you think that a reputation for denying youngsters opportunities to better themselves when they arise will somehow encourage others to sign for us rather than competitors.

You've yet to establish that such a "reputation" in fact exists, or would exist, for the entirely normal practice of a player seeing out the length of a contract, then moving elsewhere for the development fee. Until you do so, there is absolutely no case to answer here. Credible Scottish football clubs hold players to their contracts unless a considerable sum of money gives them the incentive to release them; no competitor in the market actually acts as you have claimed, and as a result, there is no risk in acting in the best financial interests of the club.

Why not go further and put all those not agreeing to an offered contact extension on the bench for the rest of their contract. That would really teach them a lesson wouldn't it and really enhance the club'sreputation . Joe Stalin would really approve of that.

VT, always destructive never constructive. Why not break the mould and give us the names now of the five players we should be signing.

Oh dear.

I'm not interested in punishing Mark Russell for not signing a contract champ; I'm interested in the club getting the best possible return on their investment when he inevitably departs the club. Which, as I've easily demonstrated, would be achieved by:

- continuing to have a £90 a week bargain pick at left-back

- pocketing the compensation fee next summer

- saving the wages that would be required (probably in the region of £20k if not more) to bring in a puffing journeyman to the club for the left-back position

- pocketing any increased prize money from a higher league position, gained in part from the performances of a talented left-back rather than an expensive mediocrity

Those are the facts, which can only be overturned from a competent football club's point of view by a substantial transfer fee offered for the release of Russell from his contract this summer. Going by the rather desperate wagon-circling by the usual suspects on this thread however, it seems clear that Rae's mind has already been made up and that everyone but the club will be blamed for their piss-poor handling of the situation so far and the sale of a talent for a nominal fee.

You're fooling absolutely no-one though.

Edited by vikingTON

Oh so insisting that a talented young prospect plays for peanuts is going to encourage a queue of other talented youngsters wanting to sign works how?

I can only think of two names willing to do that, Norfolk & Chance.

Having players and clubs stick to the basic principles of a contract is really not the Watergate level scandal that you think it is. Once again, until you can actually demonstrate that there is in fact "a reputation" developed by such a practice, your claim has no credibility whatsoever,

Better luck next time.

Having players and clubs stick to the basic principles of a contract is really not the Watergate level scandal that you think it is. Once again, until you can actually demonstrate that there is in fact "a reputation" developed by such a practice, your claim has no credibility whatsoever,

Better luck next time.

How about Aberdeen historically signing most of the young talent in the. West of Scotland.

You don't tend to find someone from Paisley who can write never mind read, kudos to you, skunk.

From Paisley my friend but now from Gods country as you can see.

Looking forward to our encounters this season.....you have been nothing to us for so many years but should be interesting 4 games.

I don't buy into the hatred between us and would buy you a pint before the next game no probs......

If you manage to find a point to hastily attach to that non-sequitur post, do let us know.

Well TeflonTon, simple raally Aberdeen get the pick of the crop beacuase they have a reputation for acting in the players best interest. A difficult concept I know for an ego and self obsessive such as you but do try and keep up.

Anyway where is this £90 per week baloney coming from. Even if the club only offered minimum wage terms what evidence do you have that a development contract is an apprenticeship for NMW purposes, that it did not contain first team appearance clause, place and championship bonuses etc and that the club pays no more than NMW terms. Or as usual is your pontification based on the most negative spin you can muster up?

I'd like to see some evidence for that Aberdeen claim, rather than poorly spelled bluster and conjecture, thanks. In your own time.

Given that I am calling you out is it not the convention that you supply the facts on which your award winning analysis is based? Kindly oblige.

By the way is " spelled" past tense or past participle prof?

Erm no - when you claim that the reason why Aberdeen attract players from west-central Scotland is due to a transfer policy of letting under contract players leave for a pittance (uncited), then this onus is entirely on you to provide evidence for this bullshit assertion.

Fairly straightforward stuff - but given your ducking, diving and dodging so far I don't think we'll be holding our breath waiting on a credible response.

Erm no - when you claim that the reason why Aberdeen attract players from west-central Scotland is due to a transfer policy of letting under contract players leave for a pittance (uncited), then this onus is entirely on you to provide evidence for this bullshit assertion.

Fairly straightforward stuff - but given your ducking, diving and dodging so far I don't think we'll be holding our breath waiting on a credible response.

Ha nice try Gollum but you waded in in reponse to Colkitto's point about the adverse effect on clubs reputation if it denies development players the opportunity to better themselves elsewhere. We are already beaten to the best of the youngsters, by Aberdeen and others so have exactly is stuffing Russell going to encourage others to come our way. Is our edge to be that we become contractual pedants?

Are you still googling about NMW before you reply on the money point?