The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Was suppose to be meeting dougie the day after the last game of the season about a contract extension and I think it all went quiet after that.heard he was still on a development squad contract but that maybe just talk

How is it? He'll get bigger offers than what we can afford. What a total overreaction.

An overreaction, maybe, disgrace is the wrong word - I'm sure there are far more eloquent ways of putting it. Regardless, I don't think it's misplaced to be bother/either disappointed and/or angry at his departure. We should make keeping players like this a top priority regardless of timing - not another task to be completed at the end of the season. The boy was excellent last season, and as soon as any interest popped up we should've been looking to formalise an agreement of some sort.

Edited by tonnitus

Calling it an absolute disgrace would imply that the club could do something to stop it though. I'd very much assume that they're in no position to do so.

He's under contract so erm yes the club could do something about it.

An overreaction, maybe, disgrace is the wrong word - I'm sure there are far more eloquent ways of putting it. Regardless, I don't think it's misplaced to be bother/either disappointed and/or angry at his departure. We should make keeping players like this a top priority regardless of timing - not another task to be completed at the end of the season. The boy was excellent last season, and as soon as any interest popped up we should've been looking to formalise an agreement of some sort.

Of course we should be keeping hold of players like him but when much bigger clubs than ourselves come in for players, offering much better wages than we can, they are always going to want to go.

Mass overreaction here. Even if he did sign an extension in March for example, it would make feck all difference if a big club come in with an offer.

Has it ever crossed anyones minds that we did offer Russell a really good contract but perhaps he turned it down, knowing that he had Premiership/Championship clubs fishing about. I've heard Swansea have been interested for weeks now.

I don't expect we will get a massive fee for him. he has had a great half a season, but its only at League 1 Level. The Hamilton players mentioned above had 50/100 odd games in the top flight under their belt before moving on for good money.

The club feck up quite often and deserve the criticism but in this case, this isn't one of them.

Well selling off rare prospects for small money is hardly going to sit well with fans. If you're going to let these players go you should be asking for proper compensation rather than whoring them out to the first bidder.

You may recall that I posted on the thread in the League 1 forum a few weeks back regarding getting a group of fans together to do maintenance work down at Cappielow over the summer. Well it hasn't been forgotten about!

I was down at Cappielow earlier this evening having a walkround with Crawford Rae and Mark Farrell, looking at what work was needing done etc. There will be a lot of scraping and painting needing done of crush barriers, walls, railings etc.

It was proposed that we could get into Cappielow to do the work on the weekends of 20-21 June and 27-28 June, together with a couple of Thursday nights, the 18th and 25th of June, between around 5 and 8pm.

If those who would be interested in helping out could let me know which dates would be suitable for them, I can feed this back to Crawford to enable the club to have sufficient paint/brushes etc for those coming down.

Cheers, Darren.

Edited by Stevie Aitken's Love Child

I don't expect we will get a massive fee for him. he has had a great half a season, but its only at League 1 Level.

Then we should keep him until the end of his contract and take the compensation fee instead. Given his current wage level, potential prize money for a higher finish and not having to sign a much more expensive, utterly shit ringer as a replacement, we'd stand to make more money by doing so than accepting any nominal fee this summer.

Edited by vikingTON

Then we should keep him until the end of his contract and take the compensation fee instead. Given his current wage level, potential prize money for a higher finish and not having to sign a much more expensive, utterly shit ringer as a replacement, we'd stand to make more money by doing so than accepting any nominal fee this summer.

Yeah would agree with that.

Not sure what Russell is like as a person though. Would he kick off if we didnt allow him to move on?

Difficult one, depending on how he would react.

Is there actually any truth to this anyway? Someone commented that he was offski but there has been nothing else said about it?

Unless of course his contract has the standard release clause

Yes lets make him unhappy when we deny him a bigger move and put off all other youngsters from signing for us.

Yes lets make him unhappy when we deny him a bigger move and put off all other youngsters from signing for us.

Erm no, we wouldn't be "denying him a bigger move" - we'd be exercising the terms of a contract for twelve months - after which he is a free agent subject to compensation fee being reached. Very, very straightforward stuff, which is how the transfer market has worked for two decades now. Hardly a Jim McLean length of servitude, but if he's "unhappy" about that, tough.

I'd also like to see some categorical evidence that holding a player to the last twelve months of a contract has ever "put off youngsters from signing" - for Morton or any other professional football club. Because if they're looking around for some mug club to actually flog them off for less than the cost of replacing the player and far less than the club's rightful compensation fee, then they'll be struggling.

Erm no, we wouldn't be "denying him a bigger move" - we'd be exercising the terms of a contract for twelve months - after which he is a free agent subject to compensation fee being reached. Very, very straightforward stuff, which is how the transfer market has worked for two decades now. Hardly a Jim McLean length of servitude, but if he's "unhappy" about that, tough.

I'd also like to see some categorical evidence that holding a player to the last twelve months of a contract has ever "put off youngsters from signing" - for Morton or any other professional football club. Because if they're looking around for some mug club to actually flog them off for less than the cost of replacing the player and far less than the club's rightful compensation fee, then they'll be struggling.

[/quote)

What an arsehole casserole, the final paragraph in particular . Freedom of movemet is also about having the opportunity to move when the time is right. If Liverpool don' t accept Man City's bid for Sterling now Man City wil get someone else so in a year's time the Man City opportunity has gone. One pissed off Raheem. The same applies to Russell. His suitors will have moved on. So given the choice again are you seriously saying he would have chosen to sign for Morton rather than the Midden?

I don't think you understand what "freedom of movement" is champ. Brush up on that - and how to quote a post without producing an abortion like the above - before you slither onto the forum again.

I don't think you understand what "freedom of movement" is champ. Brush up on that - and how to quote a post without producing an abortion like the above - before you slither onto the forum again.

That's it dodge the salient points and go for the juvenile taunts.

Ming and a Swiss.

Get back to watching Masterchef repeats on Dave.