The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

20 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Wasnt it heavily rumoured that Lee McCulloch was getting the job from people who have a high rate of getting these things right

Such as? This should be good for a laugh. Was it Chick Young and Archie McPherson?

3 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Duffy does not have the mentality to succeed at this level any more.

2 end of season collapses. One snuck into the playoffs despite it, the other failed miserably. Forgoing trying to win a 2nd v 3rd clash to prioritise a cup game against Celtic where his media mates will be watching.

We plucked him from semi-retirement and that is where he should return.

Is McKinnon a big upgrade? Maybe not, it remains to be seen but he, and most others (except John Hughes) probably would be an upgrade on Duffy.

That final paragraph might be the biggest waffle ive ever read.

So you think that he may not be an upgrade on Duffy but probably.

Ok, Morton fans, here is an honest question. Well two actually...

1) How high up the league do you think your club is realistically capable of attaining over a decent period of time?
2) Is this possible with the way the current board finances that?

I could expand on these, if people need it.

That final paragraph might be the biggest waffle ive ever read.
So you think that he may not be an upgrade on Duffy but probably.
Learn to read.

I said he was an upgrade, but left a question mark over whether it was a big upgrade.

1) How high up the league do you think your club is realistically capable of attaining over a decent period of time?
1) two years in a row, we had 2nd in our own hands with a significant portion of the season gone before Duffy Duffied it. So 2nd for sure, challenging for first obvs.

2) yes, see answer 1.

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

It really comes down to what budget we have and how that compares to the rest. Its not everything, as Livvy and Falkirk proved this season, but is a decent enough indicator!

I know Hoppy was happy with the budget he was offered and it was more than what he expected it to be and it was higher than what Livvy had offered for the premiership(which was why he was very close to taking it).

Presumably McKinnon will have the same budget. 

The board have stated their ambitions of being promoted within 3 years; they ain't daft, they know in order to achieve that, it needs to be an attractive enough budget for that ambition to be achievable.

I guess we will know how high we can finish once we see the calibre of player we bring in but Duffy certainly had the backing( signed a further 5 players without losing any from Jan onwards) so no reason we shouldn't be aiming for a top 4 finish again!

23 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

1) two years in a row, we had 2nd in our own hands with a significant portion of the season gone before Duffy Duffied it. So 2nd for sure, challenging for first obvs.

And if you are promoted? It's obviously possible for Morton to retain a Premiership place, for example if I answered the first question with my club in mind I'd say we could sustain a 5th to 8th in the Premiership over a fairly lengthy period. Is that where you feel Morton would be? If I answered the second, I'd say maybe, possibly not and that's primarily about the funding a fan owned club can raise.

I am hopeful of some contract news tomorrow regarding players, possibly alongside the unveiling of McKingon (yes that is his new title).

But this is Morton we are talking about, I presume half the squad will be gone this time next week.

6 hours ago, Pride_of_the_Clyde said:

Do you have to wonder?

They clearly tried to get Hopkin, circumventing their much-ballyhooed recruitment process and leaving those  actually wanted the job (and players) in the lurch, failed to land Hopkin (or weren’t willing to wait on his holiday ending) and then reverted to the original applicants.

This whole thing has been worse than the SFA/Regan/O’Neil/McLeish farce, while the actual appointment is utterly deflating.

Stop talking shite .

6 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Duffy does not have the mentality to succeed at this level any more.

2 end of season collapses. One snuck into the playoffs despite it, the other failed miserably. Forgoing trying to win a 2nd v 3rd clash to prioritise a cup game against Celtic where his media mates will be watching.

We plucked him from semi-retirement and that is where he should return.

Is McKinnon a big upgrade? Maybe not, it remains to be seen but he, and most others (except John Hughes) probably would be an upgrade on Duffy.

A couple of observations:

1.  You relentlessly criticised just about everything Duffy did last season, and here we are a month after he was dumped and you still won't let it go. He's gone, let him be.

2.  You really do love the sound of your own voice, don't you? Ease up a bit, or change the record.

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

And if you are promoted? It's obviously possible for Morton to retain a Premiership place, for example if I answered the first question with my club in mind I'd say we could sustain a 5th to 8th in the Premiership over a fairly lengthy period. Is that where you feel Morton would be? If I answered the second, I'd say maybe, possibly not and that's primarily about the funding a fan owned club can raise.

It's hard to say how we'd fare up there - no promoted team could really answer that but smaller clubs have made it and stayed up. We've competed well with the Premiership teams we have faced over the past few teams. I wouldn't have concerns over the budget if we went up - the increased prize money would be enough to fund an increased budget. More likely, it might make us more attractive to a buyer (yes, it would possibly mean the Easdales taking over).

Just now, Rudolph Hucker said:

A couple of observations:

1.  You relentlessly criticised just about everything Duffy did last season, and here we are a month after he was dumped and you still won't let it go. He's gone, let him be.

2.  You really do love the sound of your own voice, don't you? Ease up a bit, or change the record.

I didn't bring Duffy up - there were specific questions asked about whether McKinnon was an upgrade or questioning whether we should have got rid of Jim or not. Nothing wrong with answering them. I'll let him be when he let's his sacking be and people stop pining for his return.

Forgive me for actually engaging in the conversation on here and joining in the topics. Would you be more comfortable if i stopped slagging Duffy and resorted to digs at other posters instead because that's all you seem to have in your locker?

This could definitely work out. Obviously Dundee Utd didn't work out, but they have arguably got worse since he left - albeit Lazlo probably the wrong appointment. 

Not convinced it is better than Duff, or so much better that it is worth the risk of getting rid of a decent manager. 

Also not convinced that our budget is actually going to give us a realistic chance of getting promoted, or even getting in the playoff mix.