The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

5 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Once I've read the Falkirk related threads I usually come on here next purely for the entertainment value. Morton do seem to have a larger % of rockets than any other club on here who, as well as ripping into each other, also manage to entice some of the more sensible posters in like Dunning and Largs Ton from time to time. :thumsup2

Bit rich coming from a Falkirk supporter.

On 5/24/2018 at 15:04, Scosha said:

No request needs to be made. He's out of contract.

Be surprised if he's out of contract before the end of the month. At the time he signed it they wouldn't necessarily have known the playoffs were finished by now. They've been as late as the 30th before. Usual practice to contract players and managers at least to end of May.

53 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

They said they hoped to appoint someone within 2 weeks. Are we not still within that timeframe?

From when? Certainly not since Duffy left. That was April 29th. It'll be four weeks on Sunday.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Be surprised if he's out of contract before the end of the month. At the time he signed it they wouldn't necessarily have known the playoffs were finished by now. They've been as late as the 30th before. Usual practice to contract players and managers at least to end of May.

From when? Certainly not since Duffy left. That was April 29th. It'll be four weeks on Sunday.

Does the six month rule of being free to approach without notifying the club not apply to managers as well?

36 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Does the six month rule of being free to approach without notifying the club not apply to managers as well?

No. The "six month rule" is from the SFA's Registration Procedures and applies only to Players. Managers aren't "registered" anywhere.

I'm actually not sure what rules exist to protect managers. Clearly they must be covered by something. There's plenty of coverage in the press over the years about "illegal approaches" but I don't know what the rules are or where to find them.

13 hours ago, #Gary said:

I was led to believe the manager would be announced today so had a swatch at the Morton forum... quite a few mistaking David fucking Hopkin with Sir Alex Ferguson...

If Morton had won their two home games against Livi then Livi would not have made the play offs but ICT would have. Funny how things turn out.

Edited by Branch Ton
Typo

2 hours ago, Branch Ton said:

If Morton had won their two home games against Livi then Livi would not have made the play offs but ICT would have. Funny how things turn out.

Fine margins indeed, but margins that Hopkin and Livvy were on the right side of. Again, in the playoffs, they got the job done against two teams with bigger budgets, bigger squads and more experienced managers. 

Previous season, he won the league comfortably. 

4 hours ago, Branch Ton said:

Livvy secured a playoff spot with weeks to spare and their results at the end of the season showed that they took their feet off the gas! If we had beat them, they would have still comfortably made the playoffs IMO.

Can't get logged on to Morton chatter. But I would like to echo Clydeview's comment about youth development. He's spot on. I take it the suits who made these fixtures up don't have families that have to get up at 4am for these units regionalised fixtures. Midday kick offs wtf

On 25/05/2018 at 17:04, ShaggerG said:

Once I've read the Falkirk related threads I usually come on here next purely for the entertainment value. Morton do seem to have a larger % of rockets than any other club on here who, as well as ripping into each other, also manage to entice some of the more sensible posters in like Dunning and Largs Ton from time to time. :thumsup2

This guy clearly knows his stuff.

I know it is important to get the correct managerial appointment, but now becoming a little concerned about the time being taken here. 

I would imagine a 'plan A' has not materialised and perhaps we are now looking at other options. Pre-season is probably less than 3 weeks away and we have obviously not been able to offer any contracts to last seasons out of contract players, nor anyone else who might have been available but now been given deals elsewhere. 

Considering we sacked Duffy as soon as the season finished, I’d have expected us to have a new manager in place by now. As Piehutt said, I getting the feeling we were putting all of our eggs in the Hopkin basket and that’s not come off. So, what’s plan B?

14 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

Considering we sacked Duffy as soon as the season finished, I’d have expected us to have a new manager in place by now. As Piehutt said, I getting the feeling we were putting all of our eggs in the Hopkin basket and that’s not come off. So, what’s plan B?

John Hughes or Peter Houston?