The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Think the bigging  up of Hopkin  is getting out of hand. Whilst his achievements this year are creditable Livi’s success was aided by the implosion of ICT, Falkirk, DU and Morton and some appalling shifts from Partick. Certainly he got the better of Duffy tactically but in at least two of those games we had no credible strikers.

He did produce a fit and motivated bunch who did the basics reasonably well and his use of rotational fouling was certainly impressive. For me the jury is out as to whether he can produce a winning team that can actually play football but still a better pick than Ray McKinnon.

On 14/05/2018 at 10:52, Branch Ton said:

One goal in 34 games is simply not good enough.  We are saddled with two lame strikers and need someone who can build a squad with some attacking prowess. A move to tie up B.B. simply because he managed him before suggests to me McKinnon is rather lacking in the talent spotting department.

On 14/05/2018 at 14:32, Branch Ton said:

Yep, he can’t see beyond the end of his nose. Guy lacks imagination, he didn’t exactly leave healthy squads at Raith or Dundee Utd either.

On 14/05/2018 at 14:55, Branch Ton said:

Let’s hope he wasn’t the donkey from Shrek.

Getting MccKinnon would be like trading in a Skoda for a Dascia Duster.

On 18/05/2018 at 12:37, Branch Ton said:

Sounds like the Board are now plunging down to the bottom of the barrel in an effort to find someone who will take the job on with a sustainability budget. 

On 23/05/2018 at 12:31, Branch Ton said:

If we get McKinnon it will be like swapping a cream cardigan for a beige one and it would signal a real lack of ambition.

He failed to get RR and DU through the play offs so that CV should be low down the list. I just hope we don’t get someone who is prepared to work with peanuts for peanuts. 

6 hours ago, Branch Ton said:

Think the bigging  up of Hopkin  is getting out of hand. Whilst his achievements this year are creditable Livi’s success was aided by the implosion of ICT, Falkirk, DU and Morton and some appalling shifts from Partick. Certainly he got the better of Duffy tactically but in at least two of those games we had no credible strikers.

He did produce a fit and motivated bunch who did the basics reasonably well and his use of rotational fouling was certainly impressive. For me the jury is out as to whether he can produce a winning team that can actually play football but still a better pick than Ray McKinnon.

That's McKinnon and Hopkins' credentials you've torn into for the manager's position without offering an alternative. Who would your choice be? Do You have a choice?

The outside observer may well be inclined to suggest that rather than wanting to see the club appoint the right man that could lead to success, that you are in fact an attention seeking arsehole that only likes the sound of his own voice. 

Not sure why a twisted wee dick should presume to represent the outside observer tbh.

I would not have punted Duffy without having a much better candidate lined up. A brave new dawn should certainly not be heralded by the appointment of Ray McKinnon.  I haven’t torn into Hopkin, merely tried to temper the hype. Unlike you I have not sought to impugn his character just because he gave Lithgow a chance at redemption.

I said over a year ago we should be looking to bring in Chris Millar. Of the experienced names I would opt for Neilsen, then McIntyre.

Not sure why a twisted wee dick should presume to represent the outside observer tbh.
I would not have punted Duffy without having a much better candidate lined up. A brave new dawn should certainly not be heralded by the appointment of Ray McKinnon.  I haven’t torn into Hopkin, merely tried to temper the hype. Unlike you I have not sought to impugn his character just because he gave Lithgow a chance at redemption.
I said over a year ago we should be looking to bring in Chris Millar. Of the experienced names I would opt for Neilsen, then McIntyre.
According to the DR Hopkin is the favourite for our job.

Neilson is the popular choice amongst our fans.

I just want this summer over with now tbh [emoji852].

5 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

Yeah, having read your racism first hand on the Morton board I suppose I'm not the one to provide a balanced view of how despicable a cretin you are.

Interesting to see your take on my desire not to see a convicted sex offender playing for Morton is somehow a slight on the guy I'd like to see appointed. Next thing you'll be telling us that "snake Irish tinker" is a term of endearment.

11 minutes ago, Toby said:

Yeah, having read your racism first hand on the Morton board I suppose I'm not the one to provide a balanced view of how despicable a cretin you are.

Interesting to see your take on my desire not to see a convicted sex offender playing for Morton is somehow a slight on the guy I'd like to see appointed. Next thing you'll be telling us that "snake Irish tinker" is a term of endearment.

And while we're on the topic, would you care to join me in wishing  Liverpool and their support a good weekend Toby? Hmmm??

Nash, thought not.

Pots and kettles.......

1 minute ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

And while we're on the topic, would you care to join me in wishing  Liverpool and their support a good weekend Toby? Hmmm??

Nash, thought not.

Pots and kettles.......

No, because I want them to lose.

Just now, Toby said:

No, because I want them to lose.

Yep, of course you to. Because you're every bit as bad in your attitude towards them as the other guy is about Gunning. Worse actually as you've been far more vocal and far more consistent over a long period, as opposed to one throwaway remark you refuse to let go of.

Small-minded, hypocritical and unpleasant.

Have a nice day though.

25 minutes ago, Toby said:

Calm down, I can almost feel the steam coming out of your ears, I thought the discussion was about the next manager, so in your own time care to explain why I am wrong on my analysis of the abilities of the aforementioned options.

If your pick is Hopkin wil he have to ask you and the morality clique to approve his signings or are you happy to give him a free hand? Free in the sense that he will have to consult with a Board on which sits a CEO and a Director of Youth Development.

Edited by Branch Ton
Typo

1 minute ago, Branch Ton said:

Calm down, I can almost feel the steam coming out of your ears, I thought the discussion was about the next manager, so in your own time care to explain why I am wrong on my analysis of the abilities of the aforementioned options.

If your pick is Hopkin wil he have ask you and the morality clique to approve his signings or are you happy to give him a free hand? Free in the sense that he will have to consult with a Board on which sits a CEO and a Director of Youth Development.

For a start, slaughtering McKinnon for failing to get past a Hibs team that would go on to win the cup a few weeks later is harsh in the extreme- that's already been pointed out to you, but you seem to have paid little attention to  it.

Hopkin (in the unlikely event of being appointed), if he decided to bring a registered sex offender into the club wouldn't have carte blanche to do so. Allan Moore's attempts to sign Lithgow in 2010 were scuppered by a fan and local media revolt. With the Raes still in charge at the club, albeit with a re-jigged board, I don't expect much change there. This isn't something that's exclusive to Morton though, as I'm sure we'll see next year when Adam Johnson's released from prison, and as we saw when the the-convicted Ched Evans was released on parole, only for his ambitions of returning to the game were met with uproar from the likes of Jessica Ennis-Hill and Charlie Webster.

Employing sex offenders is something that many boards, and other employers will have issues with- of course though, spinning it as Warren Hawke, Derek Anderson and Nick Robinson meddling in a new manager's team selection is a far more in line with pursuing your agenda though.

15 minutes ago, Toby said:

For a start, slaughtering McKinnon for failing to get past a Hibs team that would go on to win the cup a few weeks later is harsh in the extreme- that's already been pointed out to you, but you seem to have paid little attention to  it.

Hopkin (in the unlikely event of being appointed), if he decided to bring a registered sex offender into the club wouldn't have carte blanche to do so. Allan Moore's attempts to sign Lithgow in 2010 were scuppered by a fan and local media revolt. With the Raes still in charge at the club, albeit with a re-jigged board, I don't expect much change there. This isn't something that's exclusive to Morton though, as I'm sure we'll see next year when Adam Johnson's released from prison, and as we saw when the the-convicted Ched Evans was released on parole, only for his ambitions of returning to the game were met with uproar from the likes of Jessica Ennis-Hill and Charlie Webster.

Employing sex offenders is something that many boards, and other employers will have issues with- of course though, spinning it as Warren Hawke, Derek Anderson and Nick Robinson meddling in a new manager's team selection is a far more in line with pursuing your agenda though.

My concerns about McKinnon went a bit wider than just Raith  losing to Hibs. My main thrust was that I do not think he is a significant upgrade to Duffy, particularly in terms of squad building, though I do concede that in head to heads McKinnon usually had the upper hand tactically. Still think he is yesterday’s than than tomorrow’s man though.

I wasn’t spinning anything. I simply find it odd that we have a CEO and Director of Youth on our Board which the first team manager has to report to. In my view the clubs success is more dependant on him than those two.  In this brave new open era I at least would be interested to hear who actually formed the selection/interview panels and just how much autonomy on recruitment and team selection our new manager will have, including when to field Development Squad players. 

38 minutes ago, Tri-TON said:

If we are hiring McKinnon announce liquidation.

Don't understand the amount of folk against McKinnon getting the job. I think he'd do a good job and would be an improvement on Duffy.

I’m quite surprised it’s taken this long to appoint someone. I was all for taking our time but this is now dragging on too long. If we’ve put our hopes on Hopkin and he’s snubbed us then the board have been very stupid. 

21 minutes ago, Scosha said:

I’m quite surprised it’s taken this long to appoint someone. I was all for taking our time but this is now dragging on too long. If we’ve put our hopes on Hopkin and he’s snubbed us then the board have been very stupid. 

Once I've read the Falkirk related threads I usually come on here next purely for the entertainment value. Morton do seem to have a larger % of rockets than any other club on here who, as well as ripping into each other, also manage to entice some of the more sensible posters in like Dunning and Largs Ton from time to time. :thumsup2