The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

6 hours ago, third lanark said:

Where did you hear this mate? Absolutely disastrous appointment if that happens and we would be no doubt favourites to go down to league one

You wouldn't. With a credible budget at this level he wouldn't get any team relegated IMHO. He'd just get a nose bleed as soon as he gets into the play-offs, whine about how impossible it is for *insert plucky side here* to possibly compete at that level and then orchestrate a slump at the end of the season.  Which just gets tiring after a while. 

He'd have been in his element dropping down to Raith and the seaside leagues but they're too skint to get rid of their current failure of a manager. 

25 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Absolutely no chance Duffy will be at Thistle.

He can cite good development of younger players (Lamie, O'Ware, Quitongo etc.) as a plus from his spell at Morton which could tie into the idea of the Weir academy developing players for them. The media meltdown about his dismissal confirms that he will have more than enough goons touting him for the position as well. 

I did hear a rumour that he was positioning himself for the Partick job in March so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was a front-runner for the post if Archibald leaves. 

Edited by vikingTON

3 hours ago, virginton said:

I did hear a rumour that he was positioning himself for the Partick job in March so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was a front-runner for the post if Archibald leaves. 

:rolleyes: no he didn't - he's just trolling yet again. Don't let it bother you.

18 hours ago, third lanark said:

Where did you hear this mate? Absolutely disastrous appointment if that happens and we would be no doubt favourites to go down to league one

Has been interviewed by Thistle accoding to a Thistle fan that' as much as I know mate. 

7 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

:rolleyes: no he didn't - he's just trolling yet again. Don't let it bother you.

Yes he did. I heard the same one, both last summer when Archibald was linked with Swindon and throughout the season whenever there were rumblings of him being sacked.

Of course, it had became apparent that they were going to give Archibald the full season no matter what before it became apparent just how much of a mess Duffy was making of our season, so it's possible that would now put them off, and there's no guarantee they'll even sack Archibald either.

So Thistle still have a manager, their campaign only finished on Sunday and  yet they interviewed Duffy on what appears to be Monday going by your post yesterday morning...

Demented indeed!

The sustainability boot camp part of the selection process seems to be taking an age to complete. Maybe as part of ‘We are Morton  Together” the selection panel and the successful applicant have to complete an Iron Man Challenge before the deal is clinched. 

6 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

The sustainability boot camp part of the selection process seems to be taking an age to complete. Maybe as part of ‘We are Morton  Together” the selection panel and the successful applicant have to complete an Iron Man Challenge before the deal is clinched. 

Well I don’t know what YOU’re talking about but yes, this is taking an age.

I just want anyone bar McKinnon announced now and to get on with having a team to support and besting Partick Thistle.

1 hour ago, Pride_of_the_Clyde said:

Well I don’t know what YOU’re talking about but yes, this is taking an age.

I just want anyone bar McKinnon announced now and to get on with having a team to support and besting Partick Thistle.

If we get McKinnon it will be like swapping a cream cardigan for a beige one and it would signal a real lack of ambition.

He failed to get RR and DU through the play offs so that CV should be low down the list. I just hope we don’t get someone who is prepared to work with peanuts for peanuts. 

39 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

If we get McKinnon it will be like swapping a cream cardigan for a beige one and it would signal a real lack of ambition.

He failed to get RR and DU through the play offs so that CV should be low down the list. I just hope we don’t get someone who is prepared to work with peanuts for peanuts. 

I'm not so sure. It certainly was far from a resounding success at United but they went backwards after he went. He did fine at Raith and losing a playoff to Hibs is hardly something that should be held against him. And he did an excellent job at Brechin.

I'm not saying he's a great manager, his next appointment will tell us much, but I'm not really getting the universal dismissal. I'd much rather have Jim McIntyre of the currently out of work managers list if I could get him but McKinnon wouldn't be an awful appointment.

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm not so sure. It certainly was far from a resounding success at United but they went backwards after he went. He did fine at Raith and losing a playoff to Hibs is hardly something that should be held against him. And he did an excellent job at Brechin.

I'm not saying he's a great manager, his next appointment will tell us much, but I'm not really getting the universal dismissal. I'd much rather have Jim McIntyre of the currently out of work managers list if I could get him but McKinnon wouldn't be an awful appointment.

Agreed.

Failed at Raith, he is having a laugh! He was head hunted for a bigger job because of the work he done at Raith!

Doubt he is anyone's first choice but wouldn't be a particularly bad appointment, jut not that great.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I agree, he wouldn't be an appointment that sets the heart racing but he's done pretty well apart from at United. 

And when he wasat Brechin he always seemed to outhink Duffy. He'd be an improvement, but by how much is open to debate.

he did an excellent job at Brechin.

He did? From the outside looking in he done an average job. I was actually surprised when Raith appointed him given how little he had achieved at Brechin, I always found it to be a bit of a myth that he was excelling as Brechin gaffer. Even Dods achieved more than he did at Brechin.

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

He did? From the outside looking in he done an average job. I was actually surprised when Raith appointed him given how little he had achieved at Brechin, I always found it to be a bit of a myth that he was excelling as Brechin gaffer. Even Dods achieved more than he did at Brechin.

All down to how you see it I guess but Brechin were in a bit of a car crash mode when he was appointed and he turned things around very quickly. He might even have got them promoted in 12/13 if the pitch hadn't left them too many games to play in too short a time and they were edged out by Alloa in the playoffs. To be fair we were in that division that season and I saw the change in them instantly and it maybe sticks with me more than his following two seasons. Looking at them the 13/14 season wasn't great and they finished 8th albeit a long way clear of any relegation trouble (10 pts). They were nearer to the promotion playoffs than the relegation ones in the end but didn't come very close to either. 14/15 he got them back in the playoffs and eliminated 2-1 on aggregate to Alloa again in the semi finals.

I'll defer to Brechin fans if they want to say he didn't do all that well there. From here I'm not sure he could have done any better. Two promotion playoffs in three years, one of which they were in relegation trouble when he took over.