The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

13 minutes ago, madton said:

Where you hearing this?

Not exactly exciting but i guess would be solid enough. Would much prefer him to McCulloch, McCoist, Aiken etc.

Did well at Brechin and Raith and had both good and bad times at DU. Convinced if you had held on to him, you would have been a lot closer to St Mirren than you finished with Csaba! ( Where you not only 5 points off St Mirren when he was bagged?)

Perhaps it was too big a club too soon for him but we could be a decent fit for him.

Was he the guy who entered into a two year pre contract agreement with one goal Bobby Barr? 

12 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'd be torn as f**k! Was genuinely rooting for Alloa earlier, mainly because of Goodwin. I want him to be St Mirren manager after the next guy, so want him to do well. 

I’d be torn as f**k too if we appointed Jim Goodwin as the next manager. One of two footballers I actually hate, along with Joey Barton.

6 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

Was he the guy who entered into a two year pre contract agreement with one goal Bobby Barr? 

So what if he was? Barr had a decent enough season with us and did well for McKinnon at Brechin before that. We've all got 20-20 vision in hindsight, but that would've looked a decent enough move at the time for both parties.

56 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

So what if he was? Barr had a decent enough season with us and did well for McKinnon at Brechin before that. We've all got 20-20 vision in hindsight, but that would've looked a decent enough move at the time for both parties.

One goal in 34 games is simply not good enough.  We are saddled with two lame strikers and need someone who can build a squad with some attacking prowess. A move to tie up B.B. simply because he managed him before suggests to me McKinnon is rather lacking in the talent spotting department.

1 hour ago, Branch Ton said:

A move to tie up B.B. simply because he managed him before suggests to me McKinnon is rather lacking in the talent spotting department.

What makes you think he'd sign him for that reason alone? Do you really think that's likely?

1 hour ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

I'd be intrigued by the idea of Jim Goodwin as the manager. If were to do a good job, nothing else matters a jot. And it's not as if we're talking about a who's who of great potential appointments here.

It would be quite a change of direction from a manager generally considered by all to be a  decent guy, to one universally acknowledged as an utter w**k.

9 minutes ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

Couldn't care how much of a w**k he is tbh. 

Aye, I've said it before but if they were going to do a good job I'd be happy with a management team of Jim Dick, Hugh Murray and Billy Abercromby. Having a St Mirren connection or being a dickhead is irrelevant.

That isn't to say I'm convinced by Goodwin as a manager, but he should be judged on his managerial credentials alone.

1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

What makes you think he'd sign him for that reason alone? Do you really think that's likely?

Yep, he can’t see beyond the end of his nose. Guy lacks imagination, he didn’t exactly leave healthy squads at Raith or Dundee Utd either.

33 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Aye, I've said it before but if they were going to do a good job I'd be happy with a management team of Jim Dick, Hugh Murray and Billy Abercromby. Having a St Mirren connection or being a dickhead is irrelevant.

That isn't to say I'm convinced by Goodwin as a manager, but he should be judged on his managerial credentials alone.

Why not Mark Yardley also? He’d certainly have the appetite for it.

52 minutes ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

Couldn't care how much of a w**k he is tbh. 

Agreed.  It may even enhance his credentials. I was only commenting that it would mark a change of direction.

I confess I haven't closely followed what he's achieved so far but when was the last time taking the manager from Alloa worked out for anybody?

35 minutes ago, KlokTheKock said:

Morton interviewed Mckinnon yesterday. Not sure how it went but he 100% was interviewed, heard it from the horses mouth.

Let’s hope he wasn’t the donkey from Shrek.

Getting MccKinnon would be like trading in a Skoda for a Dascia Duster.

Edited by Branch Ton
Typo

19 minutes ago, k-ton said:

Agreed.  It may even enhance his credentials. I was only commenting that it would mark a change of direction.

I confess I haven't closely followed what he's achieved so far but when was the last time taking the manager from Alloa worked out for anybody?

Jack Ross and Paul Hartley did okay out of working at Alloa.

8 minutes ago, Toby said:

Jack Ross and Paul Hartley did okay out of working at Alloa.

Yes.

I was attempting a humorous reference to that. Failed, obviously.  

Apologies all round.

18 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I was referring to a far more handsome, league cup-winning Jim.

18 hours ago, k-ton said:

I figured. I’d hope he’s applied. It would be a sensible next step for him from Alloa. Plus if it didn’t work out, the end of his tenure would be absolutely wonderful to watch. 

Am I alone then in presuming that reference to a more handsome League Cup winning Jim was McIntyre?

Looks like it!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

McKinnon would be a tragic appointment, not as bad as McCulloch and Sally, but still tragic.

Jim McIntyre is still the manager, from the names mentioned, that seems to the best qualified to match the recent ambitions made by the club.