The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

I wouldn't be completely against Mckinnon, but would be very much a "Meh" appointment if it happened. He did well at Brechin and Raith but not so much as DU.

Would like to think there would be better options before him.

The board know they need to get this right so need a manager who is either doing well in his current position or has done well at a previous role and is currently out of work.
"Jig" falls into the other category of failed at his only job to date so cant see us taking the risk.  
I've heard Hopkin is the strong favourite, so just goes to show how nuts the rumour mill is at this stage.
Guess we will know more in the next week or so. We do need to act relatively  quickly.

Hopkin favourite for the Carlisle job, apparently been down to watch there last game against Newport according to the Greenock Telegraph.

Disappointing he has decided to retire from playing, could probably have done a job for us up front for at least one season.

I second this, seemed like the type of player Duffy always wanted to have in the squad too.

On strikers, Denny Johnstone has been released by Colchester and after a non-emphatic life in the SPL could potentially see him back? (United were keen on him last time round however) I think it would be a signing with real intent shown if we did pull it off.

51 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

Disappointing he has decided to retire from playing, could probably have done a job for us up front for at least one season.

Defiantly he can play no problem. Glad to see him going into coaching good for Morton having a striker coach. 

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

If you lot appoint McCulloch then I'll be sticking my piggy bank on you going down.

You hold on to your piggy bank because it ain't happening.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Really surprised he's not at least being registered as a player. I think that situation might change over the summer.

Yeah, I think he will be as well. Not a bad option to put on for the last 10 mins to get a goal. 

8 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Hope the new Morton manager likes Sutton. Seems a bit daft to appoint coaches before a new manager comes in who might want his own staff?

The vacancy is for a first team manager whose role includes close interaction with the director of youth development and the head of the development squad.  We are a hierarchical process driven organisation, the first team manager is just a minion.