The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

He is absolutely not good enough for Hearts, in his current state anyway.

That's not so much underestimating O'Ware but more overestimating Hearts for next season if their latest transfer target is anything to go by (Lawrence fucking Shankland ffs).

Just saw this time last year there were rumours linking him with some big clubs, and also Sevco - how come that's not panned out? Is he just a bit slow/immobile for the very highest level?
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/celtic-rangers-track-morton-defender-10235688

Scouts flocking to watch players during the final third downed tools period, they probably all left at half time such was the level of performances.

As others have said, being injured and missing preseason wouldn't have made him a viable transfer option last summer.

11 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

That's not so much underestimating O'Ware but more overestimating Hearts for next season if their latest transfer target is anything to go by (Lawrence fucking Shankland ffs).

I would take Shankland back in a heart beat. He's obviously knuckled down and got himself fit again. Showed top form with Ayr bagged more than a few goals.

He's got goals in him if he stays fit and shows that same attitude next season. 

I would take Shankland back in a heart beat. He's obviously knuckled down and got himself fit again. Showed top form with Ayr bagged more than a few goals.
He's got goals in him if he stays fit and shows that same attitude next season. 

He will be next in a long line of players who score for fun at that level, get a chance at the top level, do nothing and get sent back to the Championship quickly where they see out their days blowing hot and cold then colder.

22 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

He will be next in a long line of players who score for fun at that level, get a chance at the top level, do nothing and get sent back to the Championship quickly where they see out their days blowing hot and cold then colder.

Possibly as it's quite a jump going from League 1 to the Premiership.  But if there was a way for us to get him I'd certainly take the chance on him again. 

28 minutes ago, xj2011 said:

St. Mirren released quite a few players,  I  wonder if Morton will be able to snap any of them up?

Not sure how many would be worth considering , in all honesty. Probably only three or four I think are genuine Championship level.

Of those, Josh Todd looks capable, and was unlucky with injuries - some thought he might have been worth another look next season, but it looks like we're being pretty ruthless. He plays as one of the three behind the front man.

Stelios is Stelios; flawed but ok for the Championship. Not sure if he'd go to you, I think he's the sort of player who needs to feel the love. That's not a dig at Morton.

The other viable option is John Sutton who is already being linked with you. He'd do a job, no question, even if he was first choice off the bench. I think he'd have been better than any of your out-and-out strikers this season.

The fourth - bit of a youth prospect - would be Nathan Flanagan, who we recalled from his loan at Christmas (presumably in case Morgan didn't come back to us on loan) but hasn't really featured much at this level.

24 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Not sure how many would be worth considering , in all honesty. Probably only three or four I think are genuine Championship level.

Of those, Josh Todd looks capable, and was unlucky with injuries - some thought he might have been worth another look next season, but it looks like we're being pretty ruthless. He plays as one of the three behind the front man.

Stelios is Stelios; flawed but ok for the Championship. Not sure if he'd go to you, I think he's the sort of player who needs to feel the love. That's not a dig at Morton.

The other viable option is John Sutton who is already being linked with you. He'd do a job, no question, even if he was first choice off the bench. I think he'd have been better than any of your out-and-out strikers this season.

The fourth - bit of a youth prospect - would be Nathan Flanagan, who we recalled from his loan at Christmas (presumably in case Morgan didn't come back to us on loan) but hasn't really featured much at this level.

Agreed that there's little there worth looking at.

I'd hope if the Sutton rumours were genuine, they have been suitably binned (if they were not already included on the charge sheet that led to Duffy's dismissal).

50 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Skinny Shankland - good. 

Fat Shankland - bad. 

Both ourselves and Morton saw the worst of Shankland last season. The season before he was tremendous for us from Christmas onwards. 

27 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Possibly as it's quite a jump going from League 1 to the Premiership.  But if there was a way for us to get him I'd certainly take the chance on him again. 

Each to their own, but his attitude when he was here puts him firmly in the 'don't ever darken our door again' camp for me.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Skinny Shankland - good. 

Fat Shankland - bad. 

Both ourselves and Morton saw the worst of Shankland last season. The season before he was tremendous for us from Christmas onwards. 

Yeah, the blowing hot and cold (or out his arse) at this level has already been established with him.

If he does end up at another Championship team (or still at Ayr) then we'll have to stock up on the Bountys.

23 minutes ago, monthelie' said:

He is fucking rubbish, not even the best defender in that team.

He was your captain he also made the championship team of the year that say's a lot about the lad. He loved his time at Morton and will alway's look for your score. Said there has been nothing put on the table from Saints yet but would consider an offer if it comes. Rumour  on our forum saying he is coming in if true he will be made very welcome. Ross will have good cover for all positions so players will need to fight for their place which is only a good thing.

Who would you like to see as the new Morton manager ?

44 minutes ago, monthelie' said:

He is fucking rubbish

Stopped reading right there. WOT a stupid post.

There's no doubt at all that he can cut it at Championship level and probably in the lower half of the top division.

"Fucking rubbish", he says. Makes you wonder what superstars he sees at Arthurlie on a Saturday.

He was your captain he also made the championship team of the year that say's a lot about the lad. He loved his time at Morton and will alway's look for your score. Said there has been nothing put on the table from Saints yet but would consider an offer if it comes. Rumour  on our forum saying he is coming in if true he will be made very welcome. Ross will have good cover for all positions so players will need to fight for their place which is only a good thing.

Anyone that hits out like 'he is fucking rubbish' just like those that say 'Duffy was a disaster, good riddance' deserve to have their opinions filed in the bin.

In both cases, there was a notable regression this season that leads to current opinions being different but to just say they were shite is wrong.

In Tam's case, he had a brilliant season last year, at the back and also making headlines with his goal tally. A worthwhile inclusion in the team of the year.

This season, while he was a key part of a defence that had the best record in the league up until recently, he has been prone to errors, has adopted a mantra of screaming blame at everybody else for his mistakes which is not what you want from your vice-captain and his goal tally was no longer remarkable.

Not sure if there was a case of outside looking in, much like there has been with Duffy, but there's not a chance he was one of the best central defenders in the league and worthy of inclusion in the team of the year. Most Morton fans will tell you he wasn't even our best centre back this year.

He has done well overall, gained good experience at this level, built his reputation and deserves a crack at a higher level. But he needs to cut out the issues that have lowered Morton fans' opinion of him this season if he is to make the next step.

43 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Alex Rae ?

23 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Stopped reading right there. WOT a stupid post.

There's no doubt at all that he can cut it at Championship level and probably in the lower half of the top division.

"Fucking rubbish", he says. Makes you wonder what superstars he sees at Arthurlie on a Saturday.

Yes, Arthurlie would get beat off 11 people from your local right now, that doesn't change the fact that O'Ware would struggle in the top division.

Edited by monthelie'

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Skinny Shankland - good. 

Fat Shankland - bad. 

I didn't even think Shankland was that bad for us last season, compared to some of the other wasters stinking the place up. He was better than Ryan Hardie anyway, whose done alright this season, but as you say, he wasn't as fit as he should have been and his confidence was absolutely shot. 

To be honest, when he was at his best with us he was mobile and physical and could lead the line himself pretty well. He's a good player, I wouldn't be upset if we took another punt on him.