The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

5 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

It would be interesting to know the exact circumstances, but frankly if a prospective manager doesn't want Iredale then we don't want that manager because he's an idiot. We don't want someone signing up half a squad and giving the manager less of an ability to build the squad he wants - if we were to give contracts to the likes of Gasparotto, Doyle or Baird before making an appointment alarm bells would definitely be ringing and you'd risk putting managers off - but I'm happy with making an exception for a promising young player we don't want to lose who has been a stand out in his appearances.

It's possible that the contract was already on the table before the season ended and he's only committed to it now, or perhaps due to his age the club were happy for Anderson to make the decision in this case.

Agreed, would be a bit silly to lose out on a potentially decent talent because we were a wee bit worried the next manager wouldn't be so keen on him. Especially if the deal was on the table before the season ended.

Just now, TonMan said:

Agreed, would be a bit silly to lose out on a potentially decent talent because we were a wee bit worried the next manager wouldn't be so keen on him. Especially if the deal was on the table before the season ended.

Yeah, there's also the prospect with under 24s that we don't make a contract offer until the appointment and before it happens a bigger club comes in and signs them, with us missing out on whatever compensation we'd have been due as a result of not making an offer of our own. Iredale and Quitongo should absolutely have had offers made on those grounds.

It would be interesting to know the exact circumstances, but frankly if a prospective manager doesn't want Iredale then we don't want that manager because he's an idiot. We don't want someone signing up half a squad and giving the manager less of an ability to build the squad he wants - if we were to give contracts to the likes of Gasparotto, Doyle or Baird before making an appointment alarm bells would definitely be ringing and you'd risk putting managers off - but I'm happy with making an exception for a promising young player we don't want to lose who has been a stand out in his appearances.
It's possible that the contract was already on the table before the season ended and he's only committed to it now, or perhaps due to his age the club were happy for Anderson to make the decision in this case.

Duffy said talks had been going on for a few weeks so you would imagine more offers are on the table.

If an asset comes in and says he is ready to sign it, I have no issue with it being finalised. As long as it's not blanket, because you know some that Duffy will have offered probably shouldn't be.

A few of our key players like Lamie or Murdoch I'd be fine with, although also dependent on wages. Harkins for example. Quite possibly a higher earner. Good season and I would have no issue with him staying, but not before a new boss is in place to agree to the use of that chunk of the budget.

Any wastage, honouring any offers Duffy has made to the likes of Baird before a new manager is in place and the club will lose a bit of the faith that many of us have started to give them back since Saturday.

32 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Lots of syrupy sympathy from Richard Gordon for big Jim on Sportsound at present :lol:

I only caught the tail end, which was mostly Gary Naysmith sounding like a moron in saying how tight the league was, but did catch Duffy's 'For Morton to beat Dundee United 3-0, to beat Dundee United at all, but especially to win 3-0 at Tannadice is unheard of.'

Yes, this is the man who was managing us while we were supposed to be competing with an utterly shite Dundee United team for the playoffs in the last two seasons, apparently thinking they're still the standard of the side who got to the European Cup semi-final. That kind of plucky little Morton attitude is exactly what we need to purge from the club.

In fairness, Jim Duffy (leaving aside his demerits as a manager) came across pretty well, had clearly taken his sacking on the chin, and didn't want to get involved in any criticism of Morton. Very dignified.

Not sure if wee Chic was sat outside Cappielow threatening to set himself alight in protest, right enough.

3 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Yeah don’t see how we can have players signing new contracts when we don’t even have a manager. How do we know that the new guy coming in will have Jack in his plans and not want to bring in someone else?

We need to sign Jai again. Get him on a two year deal and if it works out for both parties next season then cash in after a year. We do not want him leaving for nothing.

Is Jai  out of contract this summer ? Don' think we would be in for him with Jonny Hay"s on a loan deal but would imagine clubs will be intersted in him. 

On 29/04/2018 at 22:31, Dunning1874 said:

You reckon he's good enough for Hearts? I could see him making it with a bottom six side - he's better than some of the centre backs at Partick or Hamilton for example - but he's miles away from players the calibre of Berra and Souttar.

Possibly mate.   I think you're dismissing him far too readily.  Look at the impact him not playing on Saturday had on the team.

Possibly mate.   I think you're dismissing him far too readily.  Look at the impact him not playing on Saturday had on the team.

He is absolutely not good enough for Hearts, in his current state anyway. Us being much worse without him doesn’t necessarily mean others would be better off with him - especially a Premiership side like Hearts.

If he was 18/19 I’d maybe buy it being an investment to develop him, but he’s 25. I’ll happily stand corrected if it happens, but I don’t see it coming. Maybe a Partick or Dundee kind of side.

8 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Is Jai  out of contract this summer ? Don' think we would be in for him with Jonny Hay"s on a loan deal but would imagine clubs will be intersted in him. 

I think he'd have been strolling to a top flight contract with somebody, if he'd stayed fit. As it is, I think Jai owes Morton a good, full season. He should sign a two-year deal there. He'll still be able to move next summer if he wants (and if he's played enough) but at least Morton will get a fee.

Can't imagine a top flight club taking a punt on him at the moment given his injury record.

11 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

In fairness, Jim Duffy (leaving aside his demerits as a manager) came across pretty well, had clearly taken his sacking on the chin, and didn't want to get involved in any criticism of Morton. Very dignified.

Not sure if wee Chic was sat outside Cappielow threatening to set himself alight in protest, right enough.

Yeah, to Duffy's credit he's not the type to get involved in a public spat, unlike some former Morton managers who left the club in a far worse position. James Grady's public meltdown about not having his contract renewed was quite something.

8 hours ago, LargsTON said:

Saturday was a farce, but putting it down to not having O'Ware is a bit simplistic. No doubt he'd have improved things, but it was the fact Doyle replaced him at centre back and we had a young debutant at right back - along with Gary Fraser doing his best David Robertson impression defensively and Duffy clearly not giving a shit - that really made things a shambles. Put a natural centre back in there in place of O'Ware and it's not necessarily a disaster.

28 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

O"Ware talking up St Mirren this morning in the press now why would he do that :P

Just saw this time last year there were rumours linking him with some big clubs, and also Sevco - how come that's not panned out? Is he just a bit slow/immobile for the very highest level?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/celtic-rangers-track-morton-defender-10235688

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Just saw this time last year there were rumours linking him with some big clubs, and also Sevco - how come that's not panned out? Is he just a bit slow/immobile for the very highest level?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/celtic-rangers-track-morton-defender-10235688

He lacks pace which will probably do him out of a move to a higher level. That, and that his performances haven’t been as good this season. 

O'Ware had an injury last season and decided to get an op to fix it when the season ended.  There were slight complications and it meant he missed the pre-season training and the start of the new league campaign.

I always thought he didn't look as mobile this season and seemed to have lost a bit of pace too. Maybe with a good pre-season he will find that fitness again? 

He's a good defender and obviously has an eye for goal. Would be an asset to most teams. But top half of the Premiership might be pushing it a bit..

Loved O'Ware at Morton, but he did have his limitations. Could prob make the step up to a bottom 6 side but doubt he would get anywhere near the Hearts starting 11. Amazed he made the Championship team of the year! Lamie was better for us!

On Jai, i doubt he would move anywhere in Scotland as someone would need to fork out a few quid in compensation for him and who would take the risk when he has been out of action for 5 months, twice in the last 2 seasons. You might get an English team paying a few quid as it will be nothing to them but again they would surely be worried about his injury record.

Hoping he is here and fit for the the new season. Play all season, score 15 goals and he will get a move.