The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

9 hours ago, soccerates said:

So we have just lost our chairman who saved the club and has spent a fortune to keep them going.  Now our manager is gone. A man who was a Morton legend as a player and was well respected by players and pundits. Who dragged us out of league 2 at the first attempt and has kept us in the Championship.  Tam O'Ware our goalscoring defender is off too. I expect that all the players (except the 3 who are signed for another year} will leave in protest. I do not understand those so called fans who are rejoicing.  This club is heading for the seaside leagues.

8 hours ago, soccerates said:

Expect all of the players (except the 3 on longer contracts} to leave now that the manager they respected has gone.

Hiya Jim, hiya pal!

The best part of your tear-stained meltdown is when you refer to yourself as being 'well-respected by pundits'. For some strange reason, both the fanbase and the new board actually care about results on the pitch - of which yours have been rank rotten this season - as opposed to the mewlings of Chick Young and Davie Provan. 

Now get in the sea.

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

Hiya Jim, hiya pal!

The best part of your tear-stained meltdown is when you refer to yourself as being 'well-respected by pundits'. For some strange reason, both the fanbase and the new board actually care about results on the pitch - of which yours have been rank rotten this season - as opposed to the mewlings of Chick Young and Davie Provan. 

Now get in the sea.

In terms of budget size, didn't Morton finish roughly where expected in the league this season? 

Didn't they also make the QF of the League Cup?

O'Ware confirms he's away and by the sounds of it Lamie is gone too. Gutted to see big Ricki go. From laughing at how bad he was during his first 6 months at Morton to being gutted he's off 4 years later shows how much he's improved. A great guy who gave us some great memories and gave his all. He'll still remain in my profile picture :wub:

Agreed mate, Lamie is class, gutter he’s away!

7 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Losing both O’Ware and Lamie could be a disaster for us. I know we have Kilday to come back but I’d rather that Lamie stayed for at least another season. I hope whoever the new manager is they can convince him to sign a new deal.

Kilday could be gone too. New manager might not take a risk on a guy that’s been out inured for over a year. 

Hello gents. Thought it'd be a good time for a quick 'mind the gap' update now the numbers are all settled. I have to be honest, I had no idea The Gap was such a big deal until our Greenock friends started banging on about it in the 2015-16 season. If we'd known it was so important to you guys, we'd have kept you updated for the many seasons prior to that one. Not to worry, I'm sure we can make up for lost time next season and beyond. :thumsup2

Anyway, on with the stats.

Head to head: Over three seasons, 12 games, Saints won four, Morton won two, and there were six draws. Saints scored 18, Morton scored 16. Pretty fucking close, in fairness. Jim Duffy makes you hard to beat: I reckon you should hang on to him.

The biggest wins both came at Cappielow: 1-4, 11/04, and 4-1 12/08.

Now for the important stuff.

2015-16 saw Morton secure a 'glorious' single-point margin over St Mirren. +1 Morton
In 2016-17 Morton reached their peak as a football club in securing a playoff place, and finished an impressive 13 points ahead of St Mirren. +13 Morton, +14 in total.
In 2017-18, St Mirren sauntered to a fairly casual league victory, and a 24 point gap. +24 St Mirren, +10 St Mirren in total.

Mind the Gap, and thanks for playing, Champs.

(Rules  for next season: I think the fairest way to calculate The Gap would be to take the gap from Morton to the leaders of the Championship, and add it to however many points we have in the top flight. I know you'll be keen on hearing updates, 2015-16 style, so we'll be sure to pop in from time to time. If I ever get really bored at work, I might backdate the calculations for a more comprehensive historical picture. Because I know how important it is to you all.)

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 hour ago, sjc said:

In terms of budget size, didn't Morton finish roughly where expected in the league this season? 

Didn't they also make the QF of the League Cup?

Duffy’s squad building and tactics left a lot to be desired but he certainly wasn’t helped by the sustainability mantra peddled by the vastly experienced accountant on our Board. I suspect the Board’s decision was made purely on the basis that the drop to 7th place prize money blew a hole in the sustainability spreadsheet. Duffy would still be there if we had finished fourth serving up the same old dross. Presumably his going also means that there is no one coming in on pre contract agreements. No long term planning as usual just trundle along breaking even, A boardroom purge is required.

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Hello gents. Thought it'd be a good time for a quick 'mind the gap' update now the numbers are all settled. I have to be honest, I had no idea The Gap was such a big deal until our Greenock friends started banging on about it in the 2015-16 season. If we'd known it was so important to you guys, we'd have kept you updated for the many seasons prior to that one. Not to worry, I'm sure we can make up for lost time next season and beyond. :thumsup2

Anyway, on with the stats.

Head to head: Over three seasons, 12 games, Saints won four, Morton won two, and there were four draws. Saints scored 18, Morton scored 16. Pretty fucking close, in fairness. Jim Duffy makes you hard to beat: I reckon you should hang on to him.

The biggest wins both came at Cappielow: 1-4, 11/04, and 4-1 12/08.

Now for the important stuff.

2015-16 saw Morton secure a 'glorious' single-point margin over St Mirren. +1 Morton
In 2016-17 Morton reached their peak as a football club in securing a playoff place, and finished an impressive 13 points ahead of St Mirren. +13 Morton, +14 in total.
In 2017-18, St Mirren sauntered to a fairly casual league victory, and a 24 point gap. +24 St Mirren, +10 St Mirren in total.

Mind the Gap, and thanks for playing, Champs.

(Rules  for next season: I think the fairest way to calculate The Gap would be to take the gap from Morton to the leaders of the Championship, and add it to however many points we have in the top flight. I now you'll be keen on hearing updates, 2015-16 style, so we'll be sure to pop in from time to time. If I ever get really bored at work, I might backdate the calculations for a more comprehensive historical picture. Because I know how important it is to you all.)

Im sure youll have more to worry about next season as your team get pumped silly every week than poping in to remind us of the gap. 

Fair fucks though wish it was us going up.

Duffy’s squad building and tactics left a lot to be desired but he certainly wasn’t helped by the sustainability mantra peddled by the vastly experienced accountant on our Board. I suspect the Board’s decision was made purely on the basis that the drop to 7th place prize money blew a hole in the sustainability spreadsheet. Duffy would still be there if we had finished fourth serving up the same old dross. Presumably his going also means that there is no one coming in on pre contract agreements. No long term planning as usual just trundle along breaking even, A boardroom purge is required.

Duffy's failure this season had nothing, nothing, to do with sustainability and all about his abysmal decision making.

You are correct that he would have survived had we finished 4th and secured the playoffs. He should have, he didn't and it's all on his own head.

From having 2ND in our own hands to finishing 7th, waving goodbye to a quarter of a million pounds, he is solely responsible for what is likely to be an operating loss for this year.

Had to go.