The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

You might get lucky with Baird and a purple goal spell might happen.

I think he had lost a bit of his instinct with us, the goals he scored previous season and a half weren't going in, can't fault his work rate, probably only QOS fans could.

He should do a job and that's him having played for half the club's in this division

Baird is pretty much done.  He's never been prolific in this division,  bar one season at Raith and one with us when half his goals were penalties,  before every keeper sussed out his " just hit it hard and straight" ethos of taking them.  He'll run about a lot , him and McHugh don't work as a partnership though. 

9 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Baird is pretty much done.  He's never been prolific in this division,  bar one season at Raith and one with us when half his goals were penalties,  before every keeper sussed out his " just hit it hard and straight" ethos of taking them.  He'll run about a lot , him and McHugh don't work as a partnership though. 

Duffy will work his magic again. Baird will be fine :) 

16 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

If he's 'done' like Harkins is 'done' then Morton will probably do ok out of this.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

If he's 'done' like Harkins is 'done' then Morton will probably do ok out of this.

Exactly what I says in a different forum, the Harkins signing was supposedly an awful signing and was past it all that rubbish look how that's turned out

16 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Exactly what I says in a different forum, the Harkins signing was supposedly an awful signing and was past it all that rubbish look how that's turned out

Aye. Harkins was seen as an underwhelming signing by most but he's been outstanding for most of the games he's played and offers a bit of dig in midfield which I didn't see coming tbh.

We are too quick to  dismiss players. There was some talk of Iredale not being up to it following his loan to Queens Park and then..... Early days perhaps but he's done very well before joining the legion of injured players at Scapa.

Like the poster above said - we can only hope a therapy session with Duffy can induce a purple patch from Baird. I'm relatively optimistic about this one.

5 minutes ago, cornbeef said:

Aye. Harkins was seen as an underwhelming signing by most but he's been outstanding for most of the games he's played and offers a bit of dig in midfield which I didn't see coming tbh.

We are too quick to  dismiss players. There was some talk of Iredale not being up to it following his loan to Queens Park and then..... Early days perhaps but he's done very well before joining the legion of injured players at Scapa.

Like the poster above said - we can only hope a therapy session with Duffy can induce a purple patch from Baird. I'm relatively optimistic about this one.

I agree he's been absolutely class and offers something different in the middle that's why I don't bother listening to people talking about Baird we will see what happens when he plays

Iredale is another who's been brilliant since his return, going forward he's exceptional does make some silly mistakes but he's young and still to learn he but definitely looks a real prospect for the future if he continues the way he's playing

I think the difference between Harkins and Baird is that Harkins was seen as someone not giving a shit. I seen Harkins as more of a risk than a bad signing, but thought Duffy was the sort of manager who could get effort from him if it was there, as he's done before. Baird is someone who works hard but doesn't necessarily have the quality anymore.

I still think he'll be a useful backup though, which is all he's likely to be.

1 hour ago, cornbeef said:

I never read any such dismissal of Iredale. 

1 hour ago, cornbeef said:

The Iredale comparison doesn't fit here and is unfair.

That whole transfer was built on even Duffy saying he wasn't sure if Iredale was up to it at this level hence being signed and farmed out to see how far we can take him.

Unlike Strapp, there weren't exactly rave reviews coming back during his loan. 

Add to that not a single person was judging him on the position he has gone on to do well at.

5 hours ago, GiGi said:

I never read any such dismissal of Iredale. 

5 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

The Iredale comparison doesn't fit here and is unfair.

That whole transfer was built on even Duffy saying he wasn't sure if Iredale was up to it at this level hence being signed and farmed out to see how far we can take him.

Unlike Strapp, there weren't exactly rave reviews coming back during his loan. 

Add to that not a single person was judging him on the position he has gone on to do well at.

Agree that dismissing him might be a bit strong but there was a kind of expectation that we could free up a wage after his return from QP.  We had only really seen him against (Edinburgh City ?) Where he looked quite good albeit against poor opposition.  I was hoping that he would be kept on.   Am I suggesting that I can spot a player ? :P  (well I thought Tony Wallace was a prospect !)  Anyway,  that was my feeling from .org. and we have the quoted post on here... Iredale and Tiffoney  FFS !  or words to the effect.

I think Baird will be good for us -given  the injuries.

50 minutes ago, GiGi said:

I thought Iredale looked fine at centre half against Livi before going out on loan.

Forgot about him playing  V Livi.    For some reason I've been fortunate enough to miss the Livi games so far. We must be due something off those  ***** on Tuesday .