The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

1 hour ago, BIG BEN said:
12 hours ago, IainMorton said:
Would appreciate if people could stop with the “Morton going up” comments, for the time being anyway. Thanks. emoji4.png 

We feel the same with the win the league talk. Its only over when its over.

Would take some sort of betting scandal scenario to stop you from winning the league now. Not like that ever happened... :( 

This month is massive for us now. Every time we've looked like really pushing on this season we've had a bad result or two and that inconsistency has left us looking like we had a 12-12-12 record and sixth place written all over us. Now that we're back into the top four we need to show that the performances that led to results like taking one point from six from a double header with Brechin and Falkirk were just blips that we can stop repeating rather than something that's going to haunt us all season.

We've got Queen of the South & ICT away and Livingston at home this month. The club have also, annoyingly, agreed to add Dumbarton away to that the midweek before Livingston, rather than pushing for any other midweek since the game was first called off which would have avoided us playing consecutive midweeks, but I digress. If we take 7-9 points from the three games with the other playoff contenders we'll have set ourselves up very nicely for opening a gap over fifth going into the final quarter; alternatively we can go through it without a win and fall back into the mid-table mediocrity which has threatened us all season.

Last season we realistically had a playoff place secured at this point and were favourites for second place. We chucked it and ended up finishing closer to fifth than second before capitulating in the playoffs, a turn of events that had the majority shrugging their shoulders and saying we couldn't expect better rather than asking why we collapsed. We shouldn't rest on our laurels in the same way again.

Dundee United are close to going into freefall, we're still to play Livingston three times and we have a game in hand over the sides below us, who are all decidedly average. We can accept that we're bang average too, that dropping points against relegation fodder is inevitable and settle for the patronising tag of being a plucky wee club who can't expect anything better as we limp into sixth or seventh place, or we can recognise that second place is there for the taking once again and actually do it this season.

Would take some sort of betting scandal scenario to stop you from winning the league now. Not like that ever happened... [emoji20] 
I know but having seen my team lead 1-0 at home after securing a 3-3 draw away then going into the last few mins of a European tie and still going out, I'm sure you'll understand why I'm not taking it for granted

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

This month is massive for us now. Every time we've looked like really pushing on this season we've had a bad result or two and that inconsistency has left us looking like we had a 12-12-12 record and sixth place written all over us. Now that we're back into the top four we need to show that the performances that led to results like taking one point from six from a double header with Brechin and Falkirk were just blips that we can stop repeating rather than something that's going to haunt us all season.

We've got Queen of the South & ICT away and Livingston at home this month. The club have also, annoyingly, agreed to add Dumbarton away to that the midweek before Livingston, rather than pushing for any other midweek since the game was first called off which would have avoided us playing consecutive midweeks, but I digress. If we take 7-9 points from the three games with the other playoff contenders we'll have set ourselves up very nicely for opening a gap over fifth going into the final quarter; alternatively we can go through it without a win and fall back into the mid-table mediocrity which has threatened us all season.

Last season we realistically had a playoff place secured at this point and were favourites for second place. We chucked it and ended up finishing closer to fifth than second before capitulating in the playoffs, a turn of events that had the majority shrugging their shoulders and saying we couldn't expect better rather than asking why we collapsed. We shouldn't rest on our laurels in the same way again.

Dundee United are close to going into freefall, we're still to play Livingston three times and we have a game in hand over the sides below us, who are all decidedly average. We can accept that we're bang average too, that dropping points against relegation fodder is inevitable and settle for the patronising tag of being a plucky wee club who can't expect anything better as we limp into sixth or seventh place, or we can recognise that second place is there for the taking once again and actually do it this season.

We will prob beat all 3 playoff contenders and then lose to Dumbarton twice ( 1 the rearranged game and 1 immediately after the Livvy game)

Just realised we play Dumbarton 3 times in 3 weeks. That's a lot of Dumbarton for anyone!

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Hopefully we can start to get our injured players back soon for these games. 

The difference from last season is we continually used the same players more or less for the entire season, and eventually ran out of steam.

We really need to utilise the squad and hopefully we'll have more in the tank this time

17 minutes ago, madton said:

We will prob beat all 3 playoff contenders and then lose to Dumbarton twice ( 1 the rearranged game and 1 immediately after the Livvy game)

Just realised we play Dumbarton 3 times in 3 weeks. That's a lot of Dumbarton for anyone!

We don’t. The home league game against Dumbarton is scheduled for quarter final weekend so will be off because one of the teams is certain to be in the Scottish Cup.

1 hour ago, Toby said:

We don’t. The home league game against Dumbarton is scheduled for quarter final weekend so will be off because one of the teams is certain to be in the Scottish Cup.

Ah nice, wasn't aware of that.

2 hours ago, madton said:

If you could kindly do the above that would be very much appreciated.

And on your second line, the feeling is mutual :P

Iredale seems to have made a big difference to our team.  I know he basically set up Dunfermline's goal on Saturday, but he has added a bit of steel to our left hand side.  We're not far off having a pretty good team, although playing Tiffoney up front on his own ("I think he's on loan now" keeps coming to mind when I hear Tiffoney mentioned) with Oliver behind and No Jai looks to me a bit like playing without a striker, a rather puzzling arrangement.

Edited by Alibi

5 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Iredale seems to have made a big difference to our team.  I know he basically set up Dunfermline's goal on Saturday, but he has added a bit of steel to our left hand side.  We're not far off having a pretty good team, although playing Tiffoney up front on his own ("I think he's on loan now" keeps coming to mind when I hear Tiffoney mentioned) with Oliver behind and No Jai looks to me a bit like playing without a striker, a rather puzzling arrangement.

Worked very well away at Dundee United, not quite as much last weekend. I think Tiffoney will be like any other young player where he'll be excellent one week then average the next if he's getting consistent game time.

19 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Worked very well away at Dundee United, not quite as much last weekend. I think Tiffoney will be like any other young player where he'll be excellent one week then average the next if he's getting consistent game time.

Dundee Utd are also worse in the middle of the park at protecting their defence so Tiffoney had a lot more space to work with. Less to do with consistency and more getting wise to different types of games. I think he's been consistently good since the home draw against the spoon burners when he came off the bench. He nearly won us that game.

While Iredale's attempt at a clearance basically put the ball on a plate, the goal was initially caused by our continued failings at throw ins (both attacking and defensively).

There is no way Dunfermline should have been given such am easy task of getting a cross into the box seconds after a throw in.

The current line-up could and should be improved when all of our players are available. There's no reason why Quitongo couldn't do Tiffoney's role., while Lamie would improve a defence that simply played badly throughout on Saturday, and was overrun down the left hand side in the first half of the cup tie. We need to be both realistic and ruthless in responding to our recent run of form - better teams would have put us to bed in both Dunfermline games, and we'll be playing against better teams either in the play-offs or in the latter stages of the cup. 

Keep the system; work on defensive solidity on the training ground; also bring back our better options into the line-up.  Then we could have a genuinely strong second half of the season. 

While Iredale generally played very well on Saturday, he made at least 3 pretty basic errors which put us in trouble (one setting up a goal). Hopefully it's just a case of settling in a bit, because he obviously has some real qualities, but I hope it doesn't become a habit. 

5 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
51 minutes ago, Tetragrammaton said:
What made you think he was dead?

Might've choked on soup or cake. You lot posted missing on every St Mirren thread lately. Mind the gap etc cuntos.

I got bored of your constant whining. Who are your lot playing this weekend?