The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

We do definitely need a winger brought in. Harkins is useless out there yet apparently played most weeks out wide for Ayr last season. It is nice to see significant upgrades have been made on Oyenuga, Shankland and Donnelly. Last season we started our first few games with only Quitongo, Oyenuga and Oliver as our attacking options so it's nice to see that major issue has been resolved before pre-season has started.

Edit - Pre-season starts on Thursday apparently. I'd imagine we'll have news on Doyle and Russell in the next couple of days. 

Edited by Scosha

Was reading through the Falkirk thread there and someone suggested Tony Ralston from Celtic on loan. Young defender that's been on the fringes of their first team and is captain of the Scottish under 21s I believe? Fits the Duff's Celtic loanee parameters.

Also, surprised to here next to nothing about anyone coming in for O'Ware, not that I'm wanting him to go either.

30 minutes ago, Tri-TON said:

Was reading through the Falkirk thread there and someone suggested Tony Ralston from Celtic on loan. Young defender that's been on the fringes of their first team and is captain of the Scottish under 21s I believe? Fits the Duff's Celtic loanee parameters.

Also, surprised to here next to nothing about anyone coming in for O'Ware, not that I'm wanting him to go either.

He was linked with Plymouth last week according to the Tele and bear in mind the window has only been opened a few days.

Wouldn't be surprised if someone came in for him but we would certainly need to command a decent fee for him, 150k+.

6 hours ago, Scosha said:

We do definitely need a winger brought in. Harkins is useless out there yet apparently played most weeks out wide for Ayr last season. It is nice to see significant upgrades have been made on Oyenuga, Shankland and Donnelly. Last season we started our first few games with only Quitongo, Oyenuga and Oliver as our attacking options so it's nice to see that major issue has been resolved before pre-season has started.

Edit - Pre-season starts on Thursday apparently. I'd imagine we'll have news on Doyle and Russell in the next couple of days. 

I think Tiffioney will be given more game time next season. As well as Strapp.. 

2 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

I think Tiffioney will be given more game time next season. As well as Strapp.. 

Strapp looked comfortable any time he got a chance last season. Tiffoney has clear ability and potential but needs to work on his strength on the ball. Pushed off it far too easily. He's young though so it's understandable. 

Tiffoney has done nothing to merit first team appearances and should be loaned out to a seaside league team. I suspect we'll add in that position and so will see very little of him, which works for me right now.

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Tiffoney has done nothing to merit first team appearances and should be loaned out to a seaside league team. I suspect we'll add in that position and so will see very little of him, which works for me right now.

Agreed. Tiffoney should be nowhere near the starting 11. Didn't do much at all when he played last season. Strapp was much more impressive. 

Quitongo returned playing in a different position and had to do so because we had no credible options for that role (see McDonagh, Jamie). There's nothing to suggest that Tiffoney will do the same and we already have far better options, so he should be sent out on loan to prove his worth as a first-team player.

9 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Harkins was surprisingly effective for us playing wide left. He doesn't get to the byline but he can deliver game changing crosses from deeper. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy him anyway.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Duffy uses him. Think he'll be a good signing for us.

The fact it's only a one year deal rather than two does make me think he'll be away next summer, and for just a development fee rather than the decent six figure sum and sell-on clause we should be hoping for, but having him at the club for one more season is a massive boost regardless. If he does go next year, you'd hope Strapp would be ready to step up to first choice by then.