The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

I wouldn't really highlight your continued meltdown about living in the Borders if I were you - you've been humiliated enough this season. Safe to say that it has been an absolute disaster for you from start to finish. 

1496535777385.jpg.5d24a23140a48cdeec05a5ff466ab504.jpg

There's been a lot worse players than Harkins that have bounced back from a disappointing season at this level but i'm not sure where he fits in this Morton team. They've already got one perfectly good creative midfield player that isn't very mobile in Ross Forbes so could be interesting to see if they are able to play together. That being said they are going to be ridiculous from both sides on set pieces now.

29 minutes ago, virginton said:

I wouldn't really highlight your continued meltdown about living in the Borders if I were you - you've been humiliated enough this season. Safe to say that it has been an absolute disaster for you from start to finish. 

Oh dear.

Heres a handy pic for you to keep and refer to when you get confused

in-out.jpg

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

The problem with Harkins at Ayr was that he was played out of position too often, part time had an effect on his fitness levels, and he was in a team that struggled to play attacking football and that was rooted at the bottom half of the table. Can't see Duffy making those same kind of mistakes with him, and if he addresses them then you could have yourself a useful player.

Way too sensible a post.

You sure you're an Ayr fan? 

Forbes had most assists last season. When he ran out of steam the team created little chances and we faded away. Harkins adds creativity to the team. Will be interesting to see how many assists he gets next season and hopefully chipping in with the odd spectacular goal. 

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

Scosha never stops mentioning it, hes clearly upset.

I guess we'll see next season. I mean its not like Forbes had a great run and then reverted to being average, at best, for half a season, is it?

I just like to point and laugh at your ridiculous claim :lol: 

Along with some other QoS poster saying he was happy finishing 6th as long as Dobbie was in the team :lol: 

Oh, and Forbes form wasn't "at best, for half a season." He was excellent from July in the League Cup games all the way till April where the entire team hit horrific form. 

1 minute ago, Scosha said:

I just like to point and laugh at your ridiculous claim :lol: 

Along with some other QoS poster saying he was happy finishing 6th as long as Dobbie was in the team :lol: 

Oh, and Forbes form wasn't "at best, for half a season." He was excellent from July in the League Cup games all the way till April where the entire team hit horrific form. 

That isnt what I said. He managed a whole 2 goals between February and the end of the season. That isnt even average form but you're right its not fair to say it was half a season. 

If he replicates his earlier form next season I'll be quite happy to hold my hands up and admit I was wrong.

The one main grip many of us had last year was the lack of striking options we had at the start of last season. Going into last season we had;

Oliver-Only real recognised forward, came with a decent reputation but didn't come with a great record from QOTS and only 21.

McDonagh- Came up from Sheff United, a complete unknown and still a young boy with no experience and eventually became a bit part utility player.

Quitongo- Duffy tried him up front in pre season due to lack of signing options and did well but at the time, a massive gamble to rely on him as a starter( worked out well obviously). Was young, raw and untested at this level having only had a couple of appearances on the wing the previous season.

Scullion- Usual- In squad but never seen game time. Questions over his fitness, still young and inexperienced.

Kudus- Some experience of Scottish football but not a great record and not exactly an exciting signing. We were his 10th club and he was only 23.

So looking at the 5 options we had, only Oliver seems like a player you would expect to do ok. On top of that, McDonagh and Kudus came in well after pre season had started.

It's night and day going into this year with Thomson, McHugh, Oliver, Quitongo and Harkins all signed up before the players are back for pre season. All those players played and scored goals in this league last year. Add in Forbes and that gives us a lot of options in the final third.

I can't remember a season where we had our full front line signed up and ready for pre season and it should hopefully benefit us. We started far too slow last season.

Still need another centre mid, winger and centre half, but its shaping up nicely( as long as Tidser et al sign up)

Harkins was just awful for Ayr.  I think he has ability, but if his attitude isn't right, then forget it.  Don't believe this guff about him being played out of position either.  We tried him in any number of positions at Ayr and he never performed in any of them.  Who knows, maybe Morton will build their team around him and see the best of him, but either way, Ayr are better off without.

18 minutes ago, madton said:

The one main grip many of us had last year was the lack of striking options we had at the start of last season. Going into last season we had;

Oliver-Only real recognised forward, came with a decent reputation but didn't come with a great record from QOTS and only 21.

McDonagh- Came up from Sheff United, a complete unknown and still a young boy with no experience and eventually became a bit part utility player.

Quitongo- Duffy tried him up front in pre season due to lack of signing options and did well but at the time, a massive gamble to rely on him as a starter( worked out well obviously). Was young, raw and untested at this level having only had a couple of appearances on the wing the previous season.

Scullion- Usual- In squad but never seen game time. Questions over his fitness, still young and inexperienced.

Kudus- Some experience of Scottish football but not a great record and not exactly an exciting signing. We were his 10th club and he was only 23.

So looking at the 5 options we had, only Oliver seems like a player you would expect to do ok. On top of that, McDonagh and Kudus came in well after pre season had started.

It's night and day going into this year with Thomson, McHugh, Oliver, Quitongo and Harkins all signed up before the players are back for pre season. All those players played and scored goals in this league last year. Add in Forbes and that gives us a lot of options in the final third.

I can't remember a season where we had our full front line signed up and ready for pre season and it should hopefully benefit us. We started far too slow last season.

Still need another centre mid, winger and centre half, but its shaping up nicely( as long as Tidser et al sign up)

Had McHugh scored goals last year he would still be at Falkirk.

5 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Had McHugh scored goals last year he would still be at Falkirk.

Not a lot, I'll give you that, but he did score a few.( how many starts did he have last season?)

If you look at his starts to goals ratio, its actually very impressive for Falkirk.

33 starts, 16 goals.