The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Bob likes a goal against St Mirren and Elgin......thats next season sorted then !!!

Its been groundhog day with Bob, does well as a sub, then starts following week and is pish, repeat for 2yrs. Paul Watson our centre half has the same goal ratio per starts as Bob, which kinda tells its own story

I'd say McHugh is a better choice for you guys than Baird. McHugh is useful coming off the bench so if he's not going to be a starter then he's a decent addition. Baird on the other hand needs to play every week  and is pretty poor coming off the bench. 

Happy with that. Quitongo, Oliver, Thomson and McHugh is a solid set of options up front: we're already far better off up there than we were last season with four good players rather than two good and five shite. I expect that's our business done for strikers, although it does depend whether Duffy primarily plans to use Thomson on the left or not. By the sounds of it he sees him as a centre forward first and foremost.

Decent signing for us - quite pleased at that. 

Good to see us getting the forward line sorted out quickly. When you look back at the start of last season it's frightening how under prepared we were.

In our match against Albion Rovers at the start of the season last year our forward line was McDonagh, Oliver, Scullion.

Our lack of quality signings at the start of  the season had many of us thinking the worst. 

Happy with that. Quitongo, Oliver, Thomson and McHugh is a solid set of options up front: we're already far better off up there than we were last season with four good players rather than two good and five shite. I expect that's our business done for strikers, although it does depend whether Duffy primarily plans to use Thomson on the left or not. By the sounds of it he sees him as a centre forward first and foremost.

It will be interesting to see how Duffy uses Thomson. He was far, far more effective for us out wide. He scored most of his goals from there and IMO looked like a completely different player when deployed there.

Wouldn't mind us making a move for Baird now that McHugh has been confirmed with yourselves but I suspect he may have better offers.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It will be interesting to see how Duffy uses Thomson. He was far, far more effective for us out wide. He scored most of his goals from there and IMO looked like a completely different player when deployed there.

Wouldn't mind us making a move for Baird now that McHugh has been confirmed with yourselves but I suspect he may have better offers.

You never know.  Dumbarton are an attractive option for players coming towards the end of their careers and looking to do something outside football.  Best part time wages with the time to find a full time job.   No idea if that applies to Baird or not.

8 minutes ago, Tonsilitis said:

You never know.  Dumbarton are an attractive option for players coming towards the end of their careers and looking to do something outside football.  Best part time wages with the time to find a full time job.   No idea if that applies to Baird or not.

Unfortunately that's not the case. Brechin offered Robert Thomson more to stay with them last season for example, but he wanted to play at a higher level so came to us.

Just now, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Unfortunately that's not the case. Brechin offered Robert Thomson more to stay with them last season for example, but he wanted to play at a higher level so came to us.

A fine decision since it landed him a contract with The Famous.

5 minutes ago, GiGi said:

A fine decision since it landed him a contract with The Famous.

Absolutely.

In all seriousness it's the sort of thing that we can offer to part-time guys that few other clubs can. No better shop window that doing well for us if you want to move back (or for the first time) into full-time football. See also guys like Andy Stirling, Alan Martin, Paul McGinn.

so not quite accurate with my supposed ITK, but not far off... Sorry to see Sir Bob leave - gave us some fantastic scenes, esp v Hibs. Would reckon you'll be happy with his effort, attitude and most importantly ratio of goals taken against chances he gets. A natural finisher & good positional sense.  And bound to score when returning to TFS. Good luck to him, in all but 4 matches next season. 

Edited by Dennistoun Bairn

Liking this signing a lot.

As mentioned above, we were dreadful in the attacking department and now we have 4 players capable of finding the net at this level. McHugh adds that "impact sub" ability he's been branded as. Also with a 2 year deal, Duffy thinks he's got a player there, we don't do 2 year deals for no reason anymore - more chance of 6 month deals.

Hopefully get Tidser and Doyle signed up. A centre half or a versatile defender, a wide man and another central player and we are looking good.

Also, on the goalkeeper front. We appear to have lost out on Mitchell, who I never thought would be the Duff's first target. Would Neil Alexander be an option? In the twilight of his career, adds experience to our team and to young Jamie McGowan but also necessary competition for Gats who I could see being in his last season for us.

Someone was saying on Twitter on Thursday that Harkins had said he'd signed for someone but wouldn't say which club. Whether that's true or not who knows. 

I know the guy rather well, he was speaking to big Erik Paartalu recently and Lewis Hawke a few months back at the gym. He always enquires about their current club etc. He continued his post on Twitter saying "are you signing for Morton?" And Harkins replied with something like, "I couldn't say", which is what you'd expect to be honest.

Someone was saying on Twitter on Thursday that Harkins had said he'd signed for someone but wouldn't say which club. Whether that's true or not who knows. 

He definately staying in this league?

We're due to announce 3 new signings at the start of next week and I'd definately take Harkins. He would shine in League 1.

3 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

It's all gone quiet on the Gary Harkins front is he signing for you guys or not?

I'd be surprised if you hear anything about Harkins officially before June 9th. Unlike most he's not out of contract or a free agent and the window doesn't open until June 9th. Until then he's an Ayr player and presumably will either get a direct transfer somewhere or get a mutual release once he has agreed a new contract somewhere else. He could do the latter now of course but he wouldn't be able to join anyone else until June 9th so it's pretty pointless and just means he's taking a risk of something falling through in the meantime.