The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Alright lads, here's something from your buddies at Tell Him He's Pelé you might enjoy. Chris Fitzgerald, who was a sports reporter for the Greenock Telegraph for a number of years, looks back on Morton's infamous collapse of 2003/04. He interviews Chris Millar, Peter Weatherson and John Maisano too understand how and why the season went wrong - CLICK.
The article was first published in Nutmeg magazine a couple of months ago and it provoked some good discussion on the forum at the time, but the Nutmeg editors dramatically scaled it back to 1800 words. The version on THHP is unabridged and goes into great detail as to how a promising season turned into dust.
I think it's a bloody good story and I think you will too.

That's a fantastic article, really good read.

anyone actually know how much was punted on airdrie?

Not sure but Airdrie's near neighbours in Hamilton could probably offer a guess at how much it costs to get required results against Morten.

7 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Cheers for that Cesc, it's great to see the article in full and particularly interesting to see more comments from the players.

Obviously I went into a whole essay of a post on the previous thread so I'll not repeat that, but I do find it really interesting that Chris Millar is so supportive of John McCormack even now. I said in that post that I felt McCormack had completely lost the plot and the club's mistake was showing so much patience with him - had he been sacked in March another manager may have stabilised us and carried us over to scrape promotion - but Millar clearly doesn't feel that way.

Weatherson's revelations of how much McCormack tried to get a confession out of him are incredible reading. It's mental to think that after getting that kind of interrogation, Weatherson, Williams and the Maisanos were then working under McCormack again at the start of the 04/05 season. How could you possibly have a good working environment where the squad and manager can get along and focus on football when the relationship had deteriorated that badly? It really is astounding that McCormack got a new contract that summer.

To be fair to McCormack, he did go on to prove us wrong with blistering spells at Bellshill Athletic, Albion Rovers and Clyde, and won prestigious honours such as the 2007-08 Lanarkshire Cup.

Great read, imagine throwing a title away to make a few quid though? Minter.

Not sure but Airdrie's near neighbours in Hamilton could probably offer a guess at how much it costs to get required results against Morten.

^^^ racist cretin

To be fair to McCormack, he did go on to prove us wrong with blistering spells at Bellshill Athletic, Albion Rovers and Clyde, and won prestigious honours such as the 2007-08 Lanarkshire Cup.

You forgot about his highly successful stint as Hamilton's assistant manager, which didn't at all result in the creepiest wrongful dismissal case in the history of Scottish football.

What strikes me from the interviews is how McCormack's conduct at the time is viewed entirely differently by Millar, who wasn't under scrutiny, compared to Weatherson who was in the centre of the storm. Regardless of the rights or wrongs it's not at all surprising that a team effort couldn't be sustained in that toxic environment. And a simple common effort would have dragged us to promotion. McCormack should have either accepted their case or punted them from the first team - weeks of gormless questioning was clearly going to achieve absolutely nothing.

As much of a hard-man reputation as cowboy has, I just don't feel I could stomach someone getting in my face day after day to confess to something I clearly haven't done, I'd have ended up losing the rag in a big way.

Credit to Weatherston for hanging about for so long though. One of my former workmates is quite friendly with him and he's told me on several occasions how much it hurt the guy to have that thrown at him. I'd love to have read more on the circumstances of his accuser being outed at the POTY awards do, though. Surely if the allegations are completely false, this person should have been outed years ago as the real antagonist in this story?

Andy Millen has been confirmed today as the new Kilmarnock FC Development Manager,
Did he do a good job at Cappilow guys?
I understand you have a few decent youngsters breaking into your first team... All thoughts appreciated.

48 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Andy Millen has been confirmed today as the new Kilmarnock FC Development Manager,
Did he do a good job at Cappilow guys?
I understand you have a few decent youngsters breaking into your first team... All thoughts appreciated.

He was seemingly well-liked by the players and the club didn't want to lose him, but he'd only been with us for two years so it's hard to say how much players breaking through has to do with him. Since he arrived the only youngster who's established themselves is Quitongo, who we picked up after he was released by Aberdeen at 16 rather than coming through our youth system all the way, although there are a few others on the fringes who look promising.

Sounds like it's a done deal. He was never gonna break into our first team, seemed a bit dodgy in his few appearances for us but I reckon he'll be a very good signing at this level. I'd imagine you're signing him to be first choice as we'd have probably gave him a new contract if he was happy to sit on our bench.

32 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Sounds like it's a done deal. He was never gonna break into our first team, seemed a bit dodgy in his few appearances for us but I reckon he'll be a very good signing at this level. I'd imagine you're signing him to be first choice as we'd have probably gave him a new contract if he was happy to sit on our bench.

Hopefully he's more than capable for first choice and I'm happy Duffy has identified a target early. Can't be doing with another season of Gaston gifting a goal most weeks. 

1 hour ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

According to the Sun (I know), we're in for Dundee's ex-stranraer keeper David Mitchell. Good experienced competition for Gaston.

Sake, I was hoping we'd be in for him if Aldo moves on.

17 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

He was seemingly well-liked by the players and the club didn't want to lose him, but he'd only been with us for two years so it's hard to say how much players breaking through has to do with him. Since he arrived the only youngster who's established themselves is Quitongo, who we picked up after he was released by Aberdeen at 16 rather than coming through our youth system all the way, although there are a few others on the fringes who look promising.

The guys a fraud. While at Ayr under Roberts he was never interested in working with our academy, repeatedly stated that all development leagues should be scrapped and reserve leagues should be re introduced.

Next 2 jobs are as U20s manager :lol: money talks Andy.

The guys a fraud. While at Ayr under Roberts he was never interested in working with our academy, repeatedly stated that all development leagues should be scrapped and reserve leagues should be re introduced.
Next 2 jobs are as U20s manager :lol: money talks Andy.

That's because Ayr are a diddy team compared to Killie and The Famous.

On the goalkeeper front, if Mitchell is signing, are we expecting a new number one? I can only see this as someone with experience to challenge Gaston's position as number one, that's when he's at his best. However, after this season, Gaston may be the one challenging for the number one spot.

Mitchell won't be signing to start as number two, as I said earlier, if he was happy to sit on the bench we'd have handed him a new deal. Whether he's good enough to keep the Jersey is the only thing that's debatable.

Next 2 jobs are as U20s manager [emoji38] money talks Andy.

What did you expect.... Agents Roberts & Millen did the job they were sent to do [emoji106] .... WFAANW