The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

7 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Duffy has improved the team every season since he arrived. We've now reached the playoff's, so most will be expecting a higher placing in the league or promotion itself next season.

But he will require proper funding to do that - but will the chairman and the board back him?  He will need a bigger squad of players and obviously more quality in certain areas.

The focus will be on Douglas Rae as much as it will be on Jim Duffy over the close season. 

I'm not sure that everyone will be expecting a higher finish next season, particularly in light of pathetic late season results and performances. I'd also be expecting stronger competition from both Dunfermline and St Mirren as a minimum. And most of all, you can't assume continued upward trajectory, that's dimwitted.

On the squad size point - I wouldn't be surprised if Morton used an above average number of players in the final 10 or so games compared to other teams in the league. Moreover, even if that was this season's downfall, a club of Morton's means are never going to be able to carry 21/22/23 experienced, skilled pros. There will inevitably be band-aids over parts of the squad - always has been, always will be. Morton as most others at this level just need to adapt.

5 hours ago, Pride_of_the_Clyde said:

Did you read any comment from the manager or players before the Dundee United games?

Regardless, I'm as much of a mind-reader as those who say "the players' legs went" are sports scientists.

To answer your question, nope I didn't go out of my way to read much of the pre-match comment as it's usually just mouthmusic and hardly worth wasting time on. More relevant tho is that I was at the first leg at Cappielow and watched a team that gave it a right good go from the off and which, had Tidser's volley been three inches lower, would have been well worth a two goal lead at halftime. After scoring a cracker of a goal early in the second half United were simply the better team; despite Morton giving it plenty of effort it was the usual failing that let us down, ie we'd struggle to score in a barrel full of fannies. I couldn't make it to Dundee in time for the Friday game but according to pals whose opinions I respect we again had the better of the fIrst half but rarely looked liked scoring, and it was only after we went three-one down on aggregate with only about half an hour to play that, understandably, the heads went down a bit. It's happened to better teams than ours in those circumstances.

I'm in complete agreement with your second point tho.

Just now, Scosha said:

Everywhere. 

Hmm, we've already offered a deal to Grant "Phil Neville" Gallagher so I'm not sure we'll need another one. Having said that, I hear our budget has been cut so we may look to run with a smaller squad and fill it out with utility men.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Hmm, we've already offered a deal to Grant "Phil Neville" Gallagher so I'm not sure we'll need another one. Having said that, I hear our budget has been cut so we may look to run with a smaller squad and fill it out with utility men.

His family is based down in England so I doubt he would stay up here for a part-time club. We signed him as a striker but quickly discovered he wasn't a good one. Due to injuries he was put in at right-back and did that well that he kept Michael Doyle out the team. 

Yeah I'd heard that about your budget too. Players all being offered less than what they were on this season. 

5 minutes ago, Scosha said:

His family is based down in England so I doubt he would stay up here for a part-time club. We signed him as a striker but quickly discovered he wasn't a good one. Due to injuries he was put in at right-back and did that well that he kept Michael Doyle out the team. 

Yeah I'd heard that about your budget too. Players all being offered less than what they were on this season. 

Aye, that's fair enough, doubt we'll be in for him. 

I just hope we can get Alan Martin, Gregor Buchanan and Darren Barr signed up, I think we can replace the rest pretty easily. Toughest job yet for us I think though.

Just now, The Moonster said:

Aye, that's fair enough, doubt we'll be in for him. 

I just hope we can get Alan Martin, Gregor Buchanan and Darren Barr signed up, I think we can replace the rest pretty easily. Toughest job yet for us I think though.

We're apparently after a GK for the number 1 jersey after Gaston gifted a daft amount of goals this season. I hope we at least make an offer for Martin. 

Just now, Scosha said:

We're apparently after a GK for the number 1 jersey after Gaston gifted a daft amount of goals this season. I hope we at least make an offer for Martin. 

I would appreciate it greatly if you did nothing of the sort.

Alright lads, here's something from your buddies at Tell Him He's Pelé you might enjoy. Chris Fitzgerald, who was a sports reporter for the Greenock Telegraph for a number of years, looks back on Morton's infamous collapse of 2003/04. He interviews Chris Millar, Peter Weatherson and John Maisano too understand how and why the season went wrong - CLICK.

The article was first published in Nutmeg magazine a couple of months ago and it provoked some good discussion on the forum at the time, but the Nutmeg editors dramatically scaled it back to 1800 words. The version on THHP is unabridged and goes into great detail as to how a promising season turned into dust.

I think it's a bloody good story and I think you will too.

22 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Alright lads, here's something from your buddies at Tell Him He's Pelé you might enjoy. Chris Fitzgerald, who was a sports reporter for the Greenock Telegraph for a number of years, looks back on Morton's infamous collapse of 2003/04. He interviews Chris Millar, Peter Weatherson and John Maisano too understand how and why the season went wrong - CLICK.

The article was first published in Nutmeg magazine a couple of months ago and it provoked some good discussion on the forum at the time, but the Nutmeg editors dramatically scaled it back to 1800 words. The version on THHP is unabridged and goes into great detail as to how a promising season turned into dust.

I think it's a bloody good story and I think you will too.

That's a good read. I feel really sorry for Weatherson there - you can tell it really hurt/affected him. Imagine feeling like you've got to carry on playing for Morton just to prove doubters wrong: he must have been at a really low ebb.

Cheers for that Cesc, it's great to see the article in full and particularly interesting to see more comments from the players.

Obviously I went into a whole essay of a post on the previous thread so I'll not repeat that, but I do find it really interesting that Chris Millar is so supportive of John McCormack even now. I said in that post that I felt McCormack had completely lost the plot and the club's mistake was showing so much patience with him - had he been sacked in March another manager may have stabilised us and carried us over to scrape promotion - but Millar clearly doesn't feel that way.

Weatherson's revelations of how much McCormack tried to get a confession out of him are incredible reading. It's mental to think that after getting that kind of interrogation, Weatherson, Williams and the Maisanos were then working under McCormack again at the start of the 04/05 season. How could you possibly have a good working environment where the squad and manager can get along and focus on football when the relationship had deteriorated that badly? It really is astounding that McCormack got a new contract that summer.

Edited by Dunning1874