The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

9 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Morton fans were within their rights to question our God awful start. Just as we're now eating our words. Let's not change the fact that questions had to be asked though

Aye, at the start of the season we were in relegation form and it was reasonable to question Duffy's position, after three wins in four since that it's reasonable to hope we've turned the corner and get behind him, with an outstanding performance at the weekend and our cup form also giving reasons to be positive.

Football fans are regularly accused of being fickle for changing their minds, but it's far better to change your mind in the face of the available evidence - results - and be called fickle than stubbornly insist on keeping your original position on managers or players regardless of performances and results.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Aye, at the start of the season we were in relegation form and it was reasonable to question Duffy's position, after three wins in four since that it's reasonable to hope we've turned the corner and get behind him, with an outstanding performance at the weekend and our cup form also giving reasons to be positive.

Football fans are regularly accused of being fickle for changing their minds, but it's far better to change your mind in the face of the available evidence - results - and be called fickle than stubbornly insist on keeping your original position on managers or players regardless of performances and results.

Duffy sure has a knack for taking us to the depths of despair before an unbelievable resurrection leading to the mind changes. Beyond crazy sometimes.

On another note, I know the boo boys got all the criticism in the world after the Ayr defeat but, devil's advocate, what's to say their actions didn't actually have a positive influence on the current run (forcing the players to close ranks leading to more togetherness)?

Either way, our run puts us in a great position to make a right go of the Semi.

I had questions about the depth of squad we had put together, and certainly wavered in my trust in Duffy after the Ayr game (our longer term league form was a worry), but the level of criticism and abuse leveled at Duffy was crazy. He put himself under pressure and deserved extra scrutiny by the beginning of September, but IMO he had very much gained at least a little bit of trust by that point that he could turn it around. Don't get me wrong, I still have concerns about our squad, and there are things about Duffy's approach that I'm not totally convinced by. He has, however, shown that he has a plan which has the potential to bring us success - which is infinitely better than the likes of Moore who didn't seem to be driven by any overall strategy. 

3 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

I had questions about the depth of squad we had put together, and certainly wavered in my trust in Duffy after the Ayr game (our longer term league form was a worry), but the level of criticism and abuse leveled at Duffy was crazy. He put himself under pressure and deserved extra scrutiny by the beginning of September, but IMO he had very much gained at least a little bit of trust by that point that he could turn it around. Don't get me wrong, I still have concerns about our squad, and there are things about Duffy's approach that I'm not totally convinced by. He has, however, shown that he has a plan which has the potential to bring us success - which is infinitely better than the likes of Moore who didn't seem to be driven by any overall strategy. 

Yeah. Duffy and the team deserve credit for the recent run of results and getting us into a semi final. Like yourself I still have concerns about our lack of strength in depth especially our striking options. Im also not a huge fan of Duffy and his tactics or decision making but again he deserves credit for the recent run of form although I do believe that a run of poor results and performances is always around the corner due to his inconsistent record.

18 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

Can't really disagree with any of that. 

Maybe the "boo boys" at the Ayr game created a bit of a siege mentality in the squad. Not always healthy and something I'd prefer wasn't a thing, but if they're out to prove they're not the diddies a lot had them down for even a month ago, and are doing so in this manner, then long may it continue. 

Duffy is a very good manager. It's only the zoomers who have a personal hatred for some one they probably haven't met that constantly berate him.

His dealings in the transfer market can go from the sublime to the ridiculous. Last season we had Denny Johnson, Alex Samuel and Dec McManus. The season before that we had Andy Barrowman! 

He's been very fortunate that young Jai has been a revelation and Oliver has shown real quality, as there is no doubt his dealings in the close season were disastrous.  

He's been fortunate again in bringing in the impressive Gunning and Murdoch who again looks decent too.

What Duffy is good at is his man management of players and his teams are usually well organised. Together with the knack of getting the best out of players he probably deserves a crack at a higher level.

I'm glad he's with Morton at the moment though and if he can sort out the transfer market I'd be happy for him to carry on for a long while    

3 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Duffy is a very good manager. It's only the zoomers who have a personal hatred for some one they probably haven't met that constantly berate him.

His dealings in the transfer market can go from the sublime to the ridiculous. Last season we had Denny Johnson, Alex Samuel and Dec McManus. The season before that we had Andy Barrowman! 

He's been very fortunate that young Jai has been a revelation and Oliver has shown real quality, as there is no doubt his dealings in the close season were disastrous.  

He's been fortunate again in bringing in the impressive Gunning and Murdoch who again looks decent too.

What Duffy is good at is his man management of players and his teams are usually well organised. Together with the knack of getting the best out of players he probably deserves a crack at a higher level.

I'm glad he's with Morton at the moment though and if he can sort out the transfer market I'd be happy for him to carry on for a long while    

"very good" is stretching it. Overall he's done a good job for us. If he was a very good manager we'd have made the promotion playoffs last season and wouldn't be losing games or points to the likes of Ayr,  Queens Park, Dumbarton and St.mirren. 

The guy is a total disaster tactic wise most of the time, so let's just get rid of that utter nonsense which is "very good manager" since it isn't the case.

EDIT: Liked how Colkitto's post claimed that at the beginning before going on to explain how it is actually utter nonsense too. The only zoomer in this situation is Colkitto for even making that bullshit claim.

Edited by Randy Giles

25 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

The guy is a total disaster tactic wise most of the time, so let's just get rid of that utter nonsense which is "very good manager" since it isn't the case.

EDIT: Liked how Colkitto's post claimed that at the beginning before going on to explain how it is actually utter nonsense too. The only zoomer in this situation is Colkitto for even making that bullshit claim.

It's all about opinions Randy.. 

And you have to admit the bizarre personal hatred of Duffy is a bit....well, creepy

Colkitto's post is actually an excellent post...if he hadn't started it by trying to point score other fans by declaring that Duffy is a very good manager followed by the rest of the post.

Now it's just a contradictory mess.