Father and Son Relationships

This thought came to me as a result of a similar thread title on this forum.

My father passed away a few years ago now, but when I was growing up he was my hero. Took me to my first football match, taught me play golf - he was a scratch golfer so I'll always be grateful to him for that. He taught me to drive and generally put up with me through my teen years - in some ways he was more like a good mate to me than a dad.

For some reason our relationship changed when I got married and had kids of my own. I just saw less and less of him and when I did, it was like we had nothing in common and not much to say to each other. That is a kind of regret in my life now but I don't know how, or if I could have changed the way it all panned out.

So, fellow P&B'rs what kind of relationship do you have with your old man? Was he an inspirational figure to you through your formative years? Someone you'll always be eternally grateful to...... or what?

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dad is awesome, plenty of time for me and my brother, always worked hard and set good examples.

hes a fantastic grandad as well (he has 8 grand kids)

like me, he also supports ICT and at our 3rd attempt (1st sober) we finally saw us life a trophy.

hopefully my son will see me in the same light one day

Best pieces of advice my old man ever gave me: "don't spend time saying what if? As at the end of the day if your auntie had a big pair of baws she would be your uncle"

Also: "when you are up to your arse in crocodiles, just remember who is cleaning out the swamp"

True philosophers in our family :)

I came back in from college the other day and my old man was fucking nipping my ear about how I never see him any more, and I'm like, aye aye right you are, where are the fucking car keys? Serves him right for not being about more when I was a wean.

My father was never into football and i was never into alcoholism and adultery growing up so i suppose this was a hindrance on our relationship all along

To think of it i don't think he ever gave me any single piece of advice about anything. i think this may be quite normal for a father son relationship and I'm quite used to people being disappointed in me

I came back in from college the other day and my old man was fucking nipping my ear about how I never see him any more, and I'm like, aye aye right you are, where are the fucking car keys? Serves him right for not being about more when I was a wean.

It'll occur to him one day that his boy has grown up just like him, his boy was just like him.

Dad's basically one of my mates tbh, don't really see him as an authoritative figure these days. Always been strict but fair with me. Likes and plays football. Supports Arbroath and Scotland. I've never gave any of my parents any trouble either tbh which has helped.

Good c**t.

Dad thinks he's my age, which is quite funny. Constantly like reminding him that he'll be a pensioner soon.

Haven't lived with him for 10 years now so when we are around we don't have that much to say to each other; don't have a lot in common either, except our love for Dundee and the odd pint now and then.

He's also a Tory voting c**t. :P

My dad is a great guy & has a heart of gold.

However, there comes a point in every young mans life when you realise your dad is a bit of an dick (generally speaking).

I hope when my son gets older he'll put up with my failings, and think I'm less of a dick than most dads out there.

I find it absolutely incredible that my da has shagged my maw. I just can't get my head round it. They're like the two least similar or compatible people imaginable. I don't remember them as a couple either since they divored when I was nursery age, so as well as knowing they're completely different in every conceivable way, I also have no basis of reference for imagining a relationship between them. The best approximation I can make as to why they were ever married is that they were teenagers and she fell pregnant and it was foisted upon them by their equally overbearing Catholic mothers.

My step-dad on the other hand was a perfect match for my mum and a real source of inspiration for me as a young man in need of a father figure and his death affected me deeply.

My dad has been in touch a lot recently, I think my recent health scare has jarred him into action and he's been texting me most days to enquire after my health and offer his best wishes and arrange a visit.

My dad is one of the soundest, most modest guys i know. Never has a bad word to say about anyone and i doubt i'd have turned out that well without him.

Not sure how he and my mum ended up producing the self centered, alcoholic, gob shite that is my brother though.

My dad died last year and I must admit, I was absolutely gutted. A hard working man who liked a drink a bit too much and in the end it killed him. We had a great relationship, more like two mates than father and son and loved nothing more than sitting in the pub watching the football and having a natter. I do miss him everyday and it saddens me all the things he'll not be there for but I do know I was lucky to have such a caring and supportive father in the first place and for that I'm eternally greatful.

Archived