Country Ranking gone from 10th to 23rd in past ten years

tarapoa

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to say it but need a strong rangers in Europe to help climb the coefficiant table. The second champions league place would help pump more money into the scottish game for the benefit of the game

Shame they failed to pay their taxes and were liquidated - as much use as wishing we still had a strong Third Lanark.

What is intrusive are the international matches, yes, even 'qualifiers'.

That's a whole other discussion though.

The international breaks compound the ridiculous intrusion by UEFA.

I hate to say it but need a strong rangers in Europe to help climb the coefficiant table. The second champions league place would help pump more money into the scottish game for the benefit of the game

f**k. That.

If only Supras were here to remorselessly grind out the argument that Scotland's clubs are technically the best in Europe, when population and haggis consumption are very specifically taken into account.

Anyone mentioned the boost that summer football could have to Scots clubs' chances in the early European rounds...? :whistle

Get aff yer knees. Yer maw's sick of patching yer troosers.

I realise rangers wasn't great but they usually got further than any other team other than celtic I would like to see the best of scottish football cutting it with the other nations and I don't care who that may be that season that's all. If its dons saints celtic and caley then hope they do the business

Rangers won 1 of their last 25 European matches.

Exactly. ....In recent years oldco dragged down our coefficient. ...St Johnstone have contributed far more points to the coefficient. ...wish people would pay less attention to the daily record

We'll never be as good as we once were in Europe, thing have changed and money / power is overwhelmingly concentrated in the biggest nations / league.

This is fine, it's certainly not the fault of Scottish football nor is it unique to us (Ajax have no chance of winning the CL in the foreseeable future, neither do Porto or anyone else not from Germany / Italy / Spain / France / England.)

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

In my opinion, the OF deliberately weakened the rest of the SPL in an effort to keep the CL money for themselves.

Failing to realise that weakening the league would inevitably weaken themselves, hence we have gone from two Champions league places to a situation where our Champions now have to face three qualifying rounds, and our weakened clubs would hardly be capable of picking up the points our co-efficient needs.

With the greatest of respect the last thing our co-efficient needs is the likes of Gretna, Livi, and Queen of the South in Europe.

We needour bigger clubs like Hearts, Hibs, and Aberdeen in regular European competition, for my money that's more relevant to our current situiation than another OF free for all at the UEFA trough.

In my opinion, the OF deliberately weakened the rest of the SPL in an effort to keep the CL money for themselves.

Failing to realise that weakening the league would inevitably weaken themselves, hence we have gone from two Champions league places to a situation where our Champions now have to face three qualifying rounds, and our weakened clubs would hardly be capable of picking up the points our co-efficient needs.

With the greatest of respect the last thing our co-efficient needs is the likes of Gretna, Livi, and Queen of the South in Europe.

We needour bigger clubs like Hearts, Hibs, and Aberdeen in regular European competition, for my money that's more relevant to our current situiation than another OF free for all at the UEFA trough.

194590-the-easter-road-scoreboard-makes-

This is exactly what we need!

Exactly. ....In recent years oldco dragged down our coefficient. ...St Johnstone have contributed far more points to the coefficient. ...wish people would pay less attention to the daily record

That is simply not true, Rangers contributed roughly half of Scotland's coefficient, in the 5 years before the financial collapse Rangers :

• Reached the last 16 of the UEFA Cup in 2006-07

• Gained a huge points haul in 2007-08 by qualifying for the Champions League then reaching the UEFA Cup final
  • Had a bad season in 08-09 with an early Champions League defeat
  • 09-10 despite not faring well in the Champions League they picked up automatic points for being there
  • 10-11Reached the last 16 of the Europa League after a decent Champions League campaign

In fact in the 10-11 season Celtic were knocked out of Europe in August leaving Rangers as Scotland's sole representative.

Im not entering in the Rangers debate, they're financial collapse was their own fault but suggesting their demise hasn't had an impact is laughable, we had 2 Champions League places in the 10-11 season, now we have have 4 teams taking part in the first draw in either the first or second qualifying round.

This is because our coefficient has actually halved every year since Rangers collapse because they make up half the ranking, leaving Celtic and anyone else to make up for that before we gain anything.

Finally draws gain points too, as do progression into later stages of competition before anyone brings up the win statistic again, and all be it they have put in valiant efforts but to say St Johnstone have contributed more is factually incorrect.

St Johnstone have picked up 6 points in the last 5 years, Rangers (funnily enough have even picked up more points in the last 5 seasons right now despite not competing) in 2011 had contributed 43 points in 5 seasons, also being at a time when qualifying wins earned you no points.

This is because our coefficient has actually halved every year since Rangers collapse because they make up half the ranking, leaving Celtic and anyone else to make up for that before we gain anything.

That's demonstrably nonsense. Our co-efficient was 2.750 in the final season before Rangers' liquidation. Rather than halving every season since, our co-efficient has risen to 4.000.

That's demonstrably nonsense. Our co-efficient was 2.750 in the final season before Rangers' liquidation. Rather than halving every season since, our co-efficient has risen to 4.000.

Our coefficient isn't 4. We got 4.3 last year, but the overall coefficient is the last 5 seasons combined, so 17.9.

That 4.3 is a little scewed anyway as coefficient points were awarded for Celtic beating Legia Warsaw, and the way they were performing at the time had the result stood they could have been out of the Europa League before the group stage.

However, you do have a point.

I think the fella you're replying to means five years ago that coefficient was 27.875, and we were ranked 13. So in five years it's almost halved.

However, when Rangers went into liquidation, the coefficient was 21.141, and we were ranked 18. If we were ranked 18 just now it would make no difference to number of teams and what round they all entered, so we're pretty much where we are back then.

The coefficient was also bumped up due to the 2007/08 season, when Rangers made the UEFA Cup final, Celtic made the champions league last 16 and Aberdeen made the UEFA cup last 32. That season was always going to fall off the next year, and even a strong Rangers would have been unlikely to have amassed a significant points total.

Generally the old firm have under performed in Europe. You can compare it and say Rangers picked up more than St Johnstone, or Celtic more than Motherwell, but our ranking isn't low because of Aberdeen and Hearts - even if all our teams haven't exactly been great - it's because for years our two biggest clubs were getting knocked out by teams who should have been nowhere near them on paper.

The countries that are ranked above us - Switzerland, Austria, Romania, Poland, etc, in reality their leagues aren't much stronger than ours. But their top clubs perform consistently in Europe while ours only do it every so often. 2007/08 was a one-off.

Would league reconstruction for example 16-16-10 work so that fringe championship clubs such as queens Falkirk raith etc play more consistently against the bigger clubs in scotland to help being them on faster so that if they find themselves in Europe they don't fall at first like Falkirk queens and others. It has been championship clubs worst of all that have affected our lack of points I would say

I think the fella you're replying to means five years ago that coefficient was 27.875, and we were ranked 13. So in five years it's almost halved.

Fair enough - if the comparison is a rolling five-year period, but his point that our co-efficient has halved every year was just wrong.

Decent article about it in yesterday's Scotland on Sunday:

"The naysayers predicted the country could drop into the mid-30s with no Rangers. Instead, though, Scotland has moved one place up the rankings in recent seasons. Indeed, last season the co-efficient points total was the second highest for seven years."

Would league reconstruction for example 16-16-10 work so that fringe championship clubs such as queens Falkirk raith etc play more consistently against the bigger clubs in scotland to help being them on faster so that if they find themselves in Europe they don't fall at first like Falkirk queens and others. It has been championship clubs worst of all that have affected our lack of points I would say

Actually I think we've just been unlucky with draws. Both Aberdeen and Saints had really tough draws last year which they did well to get though. And again this year we'll do pretty well to pick up more co-efficient points than eg Irish teams, simply because our draws look tougher. For example, Shamrock Rovers and UCD - a second tier part time outfit - have both been drawn against teams from Luxembourg, while St Pat's have got a Latvian team. You'd think they might have a decent chance of getting four wins there.

Archived