No Man's Sky

Fide

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about it as well. I just don't really know what the whole point of it actually is other than to discover plants and creatures and stuff.

Fcking xbox fanboy!!!!111!1!!11!

Edited by #Gary

Until your comment suggest it... I had no idea. Why would I?

You do realise I own all 3 current gen consoles btw? Not really fanboy-esque is it?

As do I. And 2 x Nintendo 3DS XLs.

Great aren't I?

It looks like an interesting game, but sadly it's another one that zoomers on Reddit are taking far too seriously.

http://kotaku.com/i-got-death-threats-for-reporting-on-a-video-game-delay-1779617741

Imagine being such an unbalanced VL that your reaction to being told a game is being delayed is to threaten to kill the guy who told you...

It's by no means only this game - a lot of the gaming community is like that - but there definitely seems to be more of it around this.  If it does flop, it's going to be hilarious and terrifying at the same time.

• 1 month later...

I've got it pre-ordered, but I think I've lost most of the enthusiasm I had for this due to the many delays. I still think it's going to be brilliant, though. But that might be more out of hope than anything else.

On 7/14/2016 at 23:19, NorthernLights said:

Will there be a Steam achievement if you do manage to explore them all?

According to the devs even if they spent just 1 second at each planet it would take you 585 billion years to visit each planet in No Man's Sky

http://www.pcgamesn.com/no-mans-sky/no-man-s-sky-will-take-you-585-billion-years-to-explore-but-its-universe-isn-t-random

To put that into perspective our universe is about 13.8 billion years old.

I can only see this failing unfortunately.  Not because it's particularly bad - technically it's probably going to be marvel - but because of the hype it's gathered.  Nothing I've read about suggests it'll be particularly interesting gameplay wise.  You find a planet, you explore it, then you repeat that.  I loved the exploration in Skyrim/Witcher etc, but you knew that when you found somewhere, just exploring would be the very least you could expect.  A lot of the time you can find quests or the like that give you something to do.  If they don't add more than just exploration, then it's just going to seem like an incredibly smug "look at what we did technically" without much depth to it.  Just Cause 3 had an absolutely huge map, and it looked beautiful, but...well there wasn't really that much to do was there?  Fallout on the other hand was much more condensed, and it was brilliant.  It's not all about quantity anymore.

And if that's all it is, it's going to get absolutely shat on in the current games climate.  People can't wait for things like this to fail.

Also, might be the cynic in me, but with the devs saying how many planets there are...they could essentially say anything when they're at those numbers.  It's all done mathematically, procedural programming (which all the gaming VLs pure love talking about like they're hot shit) but I assume they're either making up a big number, or they're trusting in their equations telling them that's how many unique worlds there's going to be.  No-ones ever going to be able to prove it, and it makes a great tagline.

On 21/07/2016 at 13:59, forameus said:

I can only see this failing unfortunately.  Not because it's particularly bad - technically it's probably going to be marvel - but because of the hype it's gathered.  

Absolutely no chance of this game failing. None.  

2 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

Absolutely no chance of this game failing. None.  

Really?  I suppose it depends how you define failing.  Unless it's absolutely perfect, which is unlikely given the hype it's received, said hype is going to mean people will be disappointed.  And it seems these days when people get disappointed with games, they turn into absolute VLs.  When a delay was announced for this game, they threatened the developers' families, what do you think they'll do if they find the game itself disappointing?

I'd take back the first line I said though, change it to "I can't see this game living up the hype it has generated, and it'll be disappointing"