Motherwell FC 2015/16 Thread

All yer Premiership chat here, please!

I'll start off with apologies to Ian Baraclough. He's played a blinder in the two games over Rangers.

I'm interested to see who he brings in over the summer. It'll definitely be his side now.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really genuinely excited about next season. Probably going to get a season ticket which I wasn't planning on doing before today.

Assume we'll be aiming for Top Six which is definitely doable with a lot of hardwork put in. Would settle for comfortably surviving though, the playoffs were dece but never again.

Baraclough deserves huge credit, he picked a bold lineup in both games and got his tactics spot on. I have no doubt in my mind that if McCall had been in charge of Motherwell over the last two games we'd be a Championship team, in the build up he'd be playing down our chances and would have approached this negatively. Baraclough saw them for the average Championship outfit they are and in the words of Lee Erwin we've battered them, home and away.

I'm sure we're all to be totally convinced but I think after these last two games he deserves a chance to build his own team, I said when he came in if he kept us up it was job done and he's gone and done it. Our home form has improved dramatically, we've certainly improved as a team and his signings apart from Thomas and Straker have all done us a turn in the end. Our away form must be addressed and we still need a bit of a clear out but the club seems to be moving in the right direction.

On that note, I see Forrest have released Laing and I for one would be happy to see him here permanently. Started slow, looked a touch overweight and a yard off the pace but he's really came onto a decent game. Also think I said this not long after we signed him but Marvin Johnson is going to be a marvelous bit of business, can't wait to see him with a full pre-season behind him next season. If Baraclough has a few more like him lined up then it could be a good summer.

Sadly I think Skippy will leave, will do so with my best wishes though as like the last time he left I don't think we could have stayed up without him. He was terrific in a selfless midfield role over the last two games and I'm sure will leave with the best wishes of every 'Well fan.

On a similar note, I think it seems likely that Erwin will also be away. Which is a great shame cause over these last 10 games or so he's started to show the potential he has to be a cracking player. Guy has a bit of everything, still has many flaws and probably needs another season or two at a club like us before making a big move. Sadly though if clubs like Leeds are waving 5k a week plus in his face I'm sure most could understand why that would be hard for a young lad to turn down.

Whatever happens, it's going to take some season to top today!

I have a funny feeling Skippy might sign on again - another year probably. He's not quite got the sharpness that he once had, but he's still an absolute nuisance.

If Erwin was off, what sort of development fee would we be due?

I don't know how it works but I seen him say in an interview he's been at the club since Primary School, so a decent whack you'd have to assume.

Happy to sit back and watch Barra rebuild the team.

It was interesting how the club didn't have to rebuild a new team last summer for the first time in years and struggled. Fresh faces might be the reason for the success over the past years.

Yeah will be an interesting close season and will see the end of the line for some wage thieves like Vigurs.

Signing Laing would be a great start. If we do keep Erwin some media training would help as well as there is no doubt the TV companies will be making a beeling for him for the postmatch interviews. Would be delighted if he stays but he is a very rough diamond who needs taken under an experienced pros wing, which leads me to the experienced pros. McManus had the two best games since coming to Fir Park but his season has been mediocre at best. Maybe he needs Laing in beside him as that seems to have worked wonders.

McDonald will go sadly as I feel that an English Championship side will take the chance on him, if not, would be delighted to have him as a solid attacking centre mid. His days up front I think are gone and he has shown some ability as a attacking mid or trequartista.

The great thing about Motherwell managers is the fans have no idea who the hell we will sign and its usually someone we know very little about. As long as we stay away from ex-players that some our fans have an obsession with. Pearson and McDonald aside most have not worked and I include Faddy in that.

Onwards and upwards hopefully.

I have a funny feeling Skippy might sign on again - another year probably. He's not quite got the sharpness that he once had, but he's still an absolute nuisance.

If Erwin was off, what sort of development fee would we be due?

I was saying the same to my old man last night about McDonald. He's been absolutely *massive* for us over these two games. A different player to the one that left, one that wins the ball on the edge of the six yard box and plays it out. Absolutely brilliant.

Any chance Ainsworth will sign on again, or were these two TV performances to get him a deal elsewhere? Watching erwin, ainsworth and marvellous marvin bursting forward yesterday was great viewing.

Hoping that Erwin signs on again, looking ideally for a keeper and a centre half, and a new deal for Fraser Kerr solely for steaming into Mohsni. Be intrigued to see how pre-season goes, presuming we'll be back to running up mountains again. In Leitch, Watt, Moore and Thomas, hopefully we've got some ready to follow erwin's lead.

McDonald will go sadly as I feel that an English Championship side will take the chance on him, if not, would be delighted to have him as a solid attacking centre mid. His days up front I think are gone and he has shown some ability as a attacking mid or trequartista.

Football Manager thread for this pish!

I would think;

Gone - Long, Carswell, Ramsden, Lawson, Sutton, Vigurs, O'Brien, McHugh, Angol, Kerr, Cummins, Straker, Laing, N. Thomas, Grant

Probably Gone - Reid, Ainsworth, Erwin, McDonald

That's potentially 19 players out the door. It certainly gives Ian Baralough funds to work with to build his new squad. With the likes of Luke Watt, Dom Thomas and Jack Leitch coming through, it should be an exciting summer for Motherwell fans. I would love it though, if we could somehow get Ainsworth, Erwin and McDonald to re-sign.

Football Manager thread for this pish!

What actually is a treqaurtista? I get the literal translation but I'm none the wiser.

Defensively, Law-Laing-McManus-Hammell, which only played together right at the end of the season looks pretty servicable to me and I'd be content with that.

Assuming Grant is going, we need a younger player to play midfield as despite rolling back the years in the last couple of games, Las can't be expected to play 40 odd games next year at 36 yo.

I think Skippy will go - he still looks like he can play at a decent level and he's done what he set out to do and contributed hugely to our survival. His attitude (despite being a moany wee bastart) was brilliant and he got a lot out of the players around him and it will be a huge pity to missing that come August. He's fully redeemed himself after his attitude towards us when he was at Celtic and he goes with my best wishes.

Erwin would be daft to leave as he has a lot of developing to do so that he can move to a bigger club in a position of strength and not as a better pad bench warmer. He's missed a lot of football over the past couple of years and he would be better served having 1 more year at Fir Park.

Ainsworth needs to stay if we can make that happen. He is infuriating but he has something special and we need to live with his failings. He put in 2 good 90 min performances in the playoffs and the challenge is to do more of that next year. I'd love us to start with an attack like we've seen - Marvin and Lionel wide and a mobile striker through the middle (sorry Sutty).

This season, much like the Malpas one, will hopefully act as a massive kick up the arse to some of the players who have coasted through this season - and with a lot of the deadwood released, we can have a fitter more energetic squad for next season.

And something tells me the Footgolf will be kept to a minimum this coming pre-season :)

In an ideal world Laing, Ainsworth, skippy and Erwin all stay but it's rather unlikely.

I'd take Long and Grant back on loan as well if their clubs are looking to loan them again.

Most of baracloughs signings have been decent if we can get gems like Marvin Johnson (fast becoming my favourite player) I can see us challenging for the top 6.

It's gonna be exciting summer for new faces

On the face of it 500k is pretty decent for a player who's only really had a good half season, especially compared to McLean at St Mirren . Erwin has all the raw attributes to worry defences everywhere, just need to wait and see if he can kick on.

Archived