Motherwell FC 2015/16 Thread

Bloody hell. Journos wouldn't let the 'wage cut' thing lie at McGhee's press conference there. His answers seemed incredibly self-evident. The press guys genuinely don't seem to see the difference between asking players who are under contract to take a wage cut and us offering 5 out of contract players in their mid-30s a lower wage on a deal to re-sign.

Pointed out that we'll be looking at running with a squad of 20 - 21 next season and that Les Hutchinson has left us in a stable position but we're operating with a smaller budget next season. Which again is fair enough. It's good to see the club actually making an attempt to be self sufficient, at one point this season we had a first team squad of 26 players FFS.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bloody hell. Journos wouldn't let the 'wage cut' thing lie at McGhee's press conference there. His answers seemed incredibly self-evident. The press guys genuinely don't seem to see the difference between asking players who are under contract to take a wage cut and us offering 5 out of contract players in their mid-30s a lower wage on a deal to re-sign.

Pointed out that we'll be looking at running with a squad of 20 - 21 next season and that Les Hutchinson has left us in a stable position but we're operating with a smaller budget next season. Which again is fair enough. It's good to see the club actually making an attempt to be self sufficient, at one point this season we had a first team squad of 26 players FFS.

They'll be looking for warchests at every club now the best run company in Scottish football have been promoted.

Is this Armageddon finally kicking in? 

Is this Armageddon finally kicking in? 

:lol:  timing is superb now that 'the blue pound' is back.

Given that the club have basically said their aim is to be cash neutral and that they're (finally) no longer budgeting based on top 6 and cup runs it's quite something that people seem to be genuinely surprised that they're reducing the budget.

Given that the club have basically said their aim is to be cash neutral and that they're (finally) no longer budgeting based on top 6 and cup runs it's quite something that people seem to be genuinely surprised that they're reducing the budget.

Delighted with this, tbh. f**k anything other than this.

:lol: timing is superb now that 'the blue pound' is back.

The last time there were blue pounds in the premier league a club died.

They can't be that valuable.

I do wonder if the "McGhee's a w**k" crowd will changing their tune any time soon.  I doubt it, as it seems to the "cool" thing to do, but they no longer have any reason to suggest he's not the right man for the job (other than a chip on their shoulder from 2009).

He has done a fantastic job since his return, and it was even good to hear him he's disappointed to have missed out on 4th.  Despite our fantastic run since February, he's always looking for more. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing what McGhee can do with this squad with a full pre-season behind him.  Here's hoping we can keep a hold of Johnson & Moult for another window, at least, and have a really positive start next season. 

I touched on it in the County match thread but the fact McGhee's done the job he has with the squad he inherited from Baraclough while moving players from that shambles of a group is testament to his ability as a coach. That's twice he's come in, taken a struggling Motherwell team and got them up the table. To have done so playing some decent football is a bonus too.

He's got the best out of McDonald and has managed to get more consistent performances out of Johnson. Obviously McGhee improved guys like McGarry in his first stint however that we're seeing him still manage to improve players in a completely different group and get them playing in a fairly fluid system says a lot for him.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what McGhee can do with this squad with a full pre-season behind him.  Here's hoping we can keep a hold of Johnson & Moult for another window, at least, and have a really positive start next season. 

I'm the same. I want to see what he does to, for example, Josh Law, and turn him into a rampaging super-fit full-back or something. I'm mainly hoping he spends the summer making them run up mountains again. 

With Moult and Johnson, I'm conflicted. In one way, yeah, of course I want them to stay and play for us forever, but also, I want us to get the money. Get the money, build the club.

I think Johnson is more likely to go this summer than Moult.  I think i'm right in saying they both have two years left on their deals, so really to maximise their selling potential, we can't leave it any later than January. 

Although he's still contributing to the team overall, Moult hasn't scored in his last six games.  If we are looking to sell him on, it's the wrong time to hit a mini goal slump...

I do wonder if the "McGhee's a w**k" crowd will changing their tune any time soon.  I doubt it, as it seems to the "cool" thing to do, but they no longer have any reason to suggest he's not the right man for the job (other than a chip on their shoulder from 2009).

He has done a fantastic job since his return, and it was even good to hear him he's disappointed to have missed out on 4th.  Despite our fantastic run since February, he's always looking for more. 

McGhee is quite clearly a w**k, he's been a pretty good manager with us though. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

McGhee is still a w**k but he's done well to resurrect our season after the tragedy of Barraclough.

How would you know? 

Won't be back at Fir park if McGhee gets the gig. Absolutely ridiculous appointment if true.

giphy.gif

As someone whose opinion of McGhee was pretty low when he left first time around - more to do with the state he left the squad in than anything else - I think he couldn't do much more to have repaired his reputation. This time around, he's pretty much steered clear of a lot of the stuff that wound people up before (Liverpool comment aside) and it's difficult to see what else folk want from him. For the second time, he's taken over from an inept manager that had us near the drop and made a noticeable, measurable difference to the team and got us a league finish that simply wasn't on the cards when he took over. In short, he's done exactly what a good first team manager should - all the other stuff is irrelevant. 

McGhee is quite clearly a w**k, he's been a pretty good manager with us though. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. 

"A pretty good manager".  You're a tough man to please.  What would be enough for him to jump into the full fledged "good manager" category?

Well, his 2nd season with us wasn't great and it felt like he wasn't really into it, so that's a negative. I get the distinct impression that he feels he's above a club like Motherwell too, but it seems to be a decent fit for him.

Archived