St Johnstone in Europe 2015/16

Steve McQueen

I just hope Saints can hit the ground running when it comes to it. It will be quite a changed attacking line up. Great achievment to be in the draw again and would be great to see Wright find some fire power upfront before the first round of games. Hopefully Kane can push on a bit now he has got his goal, and what an important one it turned out to be.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think it's very ambitious to say we should be looking to the group stages. We haven't even made a play-off yet and that's when the big guns come in. And that's after maybe having to get past teams of Rosenburg's and Luzern's stature.

I think we should be looking to make the play-offs at least and hope for a kind draw. Then the dream of the group stages can come alive.

The format has changed a bit this year. The only teams who enter at the play-off round are the handful of sides who drop down from the Champions League QR3. In general, a team from Scotland will have to play more matches to reach the group stage, but the trade off is that the overall quality of opposition is slightly lower, since more teams are given automatic group stage entry.

Congratulations St Johnstone on reaching Europe again, as always I will try and get along to support you in your endeavours if I am able, and am looking forward to the draw to see who you get, hopefully an Irish or Welsh team to begin with, followed by somewhere exotic like Iceland or Estonia!!!!!! All the very best once again for the journey.

Congratulations St Johnstone on reaching Europe again, as always I will try and get along to support you in your endeavours if I am able, and am looking forward to the draw to see who you get, hopefully an Irish or Welsh team to begin with, followed by somewhere exotic like Iceland or Estonia!!!!!! All the very best once again for the journey.

been amazed at amount of non saints fans who have went to European games in the past few seasons. Thanks for the support.

On paper we can still attain the final seeding spot ahead of Slask Wroclaw but reality is we'll be best of unseeded sides as it requires a fair goal swing on top of a couple of results going our way.

A pairing against the top ten or so seeds would see us take a seeding spot in QR3 though. Can Sheriff Tiraspol of Moldova be that good?

That means they need the following outcomes:

• Red Bull Salzburg beat Austria Vienna in the Austrian Cup final.
  • Jagiellonia Bialystok don't win the Polish league (and therefore finish 2nd or 3rd).
  • Lechia Gdansk or Gornik Zabrze finish 4th in Poland.

Part 1 falls into place with an extra time win by Red Bull Salzburg.

Bert Kassies has us now in the unseeded pot regardless of the Polish results. Can only assume something has shifted somewhere as there's only one spot left to resolve in the seeded pot.

He's got Slask Wroclaw down as qualifying tonight. Maybe GD isn't a factor after Polish split? Works on head-to-head record? He'll update Austrian qualifier in next few minutes I suspect, which will complete picture for QR2.

A blow but need to just see what draw brings in first two rounds and go from there.

Lokomotiv Sofia don't have a license so Litex Lovech have taken their european spot and are ranked above you. With 3 ranked spots remaining you'll need everything to go your way. FC Salzburg to beat Austria Vienna in the Austrian Cup, Jagiellonia to remain in 3rd and Lechia to move into 4th in the Polish League. I can see you ending up the top Unseeded team.

Lokomotiv Sofia don't have a license so Litex Lovech have taken their european spot and are ranked above you. With 3 ranked spots remaining you'll need everything to go your way. FC Salzburg to beat Austria Vienna in the Austrian Cup, Jagiellonia to remain in 3rd and Lechia to move into 4th in the Polish League. I can see you ending up the top Unseeded team.

OMG. WOW. You are ah...may..zing.

Is the first round definitely regionalised? The unofficial Twitter (which I'd trust more to be fair) says yes, the official suggests no?

There has been some form of regionalisation since 2010/11 in QR1. Think official site has amended it's story to reflect that now?

Looking back, the odd rogue team has been put in with the teams from NW Europe, presumably to balance things out. Generally it'll be British Isles, Scandinavia and Baltic states though.

Would that be something we won't find out until the day of the draw or should we know the regional groupings beforehand?

On the day of the draw and about an hour before they will release groups containing maybe ten teams, so we'll know our five potential opponents and in truth, it's probably only at that point we'll know for certain it's regionalised!

I'll have a look at the teams and it'll probably be possible to take a good stab at the regions.

There is definitely an element of regionalisation but last season seemed to fit more neatly than some others. Need to remember that they try to make each group of ten or twelve of a similar strength so it's quite possible we could yet be in a group of ten where one unseeded team will come from eastern Europe in an attempt to make all the groups of equal strength. Or we could find ourselves with a favourable group (in travel terms) containing a few British teams and a couple of from Scandinavia if everything works out right.

OMG. WOW. You are ah...may..zing.

I see what you did there, but you're obviously missing the point. Maybe you see us as rivals but I genuinely hoped you'd be seeded, no other reason why I'd take in an interest in Polish, Bulgarian and Austrian football!

I see what you did there, but you're obviously missing the point. Maybe you see us as rivals but I genuinely hoped you'd be seeded, no other reason why I'd take in an interest in Polish, Bulgarian and Austrian football!

No, I'm not missing any point. Next to excessive trolling, the saddest thing a forumer can do is quote themselves from earlier in a thread to say to everyone 'Look at me. I was right. Told you so.' Your original post wasn't even a number of pages back. It's near the top of the page, a few posts back, clearly visible. I was just giving you the praise and attention you were obviously desperate for.

Having just read the discussion over Standfree's banning (lol), I will be most disappointed if the touring St Johnstone fans don't refer to themselves as the Mango Army.

Oh, and good luck. [insert Leslie Nielsen Airplane gif here]

No, I'm not missing any point. Next to excessive trolling, the saddest thing a forumer can do is quote themselves from earlier in a thread to say to everyone 'Look at me. I was right. Told you so.' Your original post wasn't even a number of pages back. It's near the top of the page, a few posts back, clearly visible. I was just giving you the praise and attention you were obviously desperate for.

But I suppose there is great virtue in being a keyboard warrior. You are missing the point but I'm not interested in having a pointless argument with a stranger on a football forum so let's not bore everyone on this thread any further.

Is that us definitely unseeded now?

Looks like it yeah. Most of the seeded teams look potentially beatable, but no push overs...except maybe FH Hafnarfjardar. Although the Icelandic team that put Motherwell out last season beat Lech Poznan in the next round so maybe I'm not giving them the respect they deserve!

Archived