St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see the Carey move happening and wish him well.

I think he'll go back a better player. He's generally more resilient than he was before. His 2015 form was poor and there will be those who won't miss him much, but I think he's a terrific player.

In the first half of 2014-15 he was County's most prolific player, by a distance, albeit he didn't have to stretch far to be so. He was inconsistent, as was the rest of the team, but then he never really got a consistent run in the team in a certain position. He was dynamite in the 3-0 win at Killie in November, playing in the Kenny McLean role of a 4-2-3-1 and scored a good long range goal. Then he was ineffective against St Johnstone in the double-header immediately after the international break and was totally shown up by James McFadden in the equivalent role, in what must have been two of McFadden's only decent appearances of the season. He wasn't seen in the #10 role again. He was still useful on the flanks but McIntyre kept changing the team late November through to January.

His performances were never the same after becoming a father early in 2015, but you never know what is going on outside the pitch to affect him. He also had a back spasm in a warm-up that ruled him out of a match and that might have been bothering him.

His last start was in the 0-4 at Aberdeen, which was the last defeat before the unbeaten run that got County out of the mire. He went off injured at 0-3 to leave County with ten men in that match when McIntyre had already used three subs by 60 minutes. He was quite clearly unable to run and had a strop about a pass that was played behind him and gestured to the bench. He trudged off down the tunnel. The body language was terrible and he was never shy at letting players know when they didn't reach his standard. He got some criticism online for what happened at Aberdeen but I still backed him, I thought he was genuinely injured.

Then Raffa De Vita and Michael Gardyne took the wide roles and he only got a couple of brief sub appearances after that. I saw him in the DL, the first time in March he looked super sharp and ready to go back into the team. The second time was the last DL match at home and he was just going through the motions and doing his own thing, trying killer passes all the time when they weren't on. I don't know if he fell out of favour just because of the others' form or because of his attitude, or both.

I'd loved to have seen him stay. You know all about his technical attributes, but I've been impressed by his versatility, workrate and willingness to adapt. He still remains soft at left-back but is a great option to have there at a pinch, because he can overlap and cross so well on the run. He played centre-mid in a 4-4-2 the season before, beside Stuart Kettlewell - a midfield that was one part technical brilliance, the other part blood and thunder. It was a short term thing before Michael Tidser and Filip Kiss arrived on loan, but Carey and Kettlewell were very good and won their two matches together. I was impressed by how well Carey pressed but knew when to keep shape beside Kettlewell and shield opponents away. In a later match against Partick Thistle, County moved to 4-2-3-1 in the second half and he was used left of centre in the '2' as a replacement for Tidser and looked a standout there, much better than Tidser. I was sorry to see that he wasn't used there more.

He played at the head of the midfield diamond and did really well there in games where the centre wasn't completely choked, for instance at Celtic Park in last season's title party when he sacked Brown off the ball and set up the goal. He was anonymous in the next match against ICT in the same set-up - with hindsight that's a common theme for him to be inconsistent in the central attacking midfield position.

He's still probably best wide-left. His crossing in open play is phenomenal and will make so many chances in the Championship. But he's good anywhere across the midfield. Apart from not playing in the last few months I think he's improved, but his caché will be at an all time low because of that.

If Murray could get Cairney fit and limit him to just a couple night outs a week then you'd have one of the best midfielders in the league.

Carey should run riot in the Championship. I'd be a bit meh if we were in the top flight but I'd snap him up at this level.

Agreed. Would be an excellent signing for the championship.

I'm struggling for any names that are free agents soon and could do a job for us next season. No doubt anyone that Murray has in mind will probably be snapped up by Hibs or Ross county or someone similar!

Is there anything more in the Carey and Clarkson stuff than someone saying it on Twitter?

If Carey was fit and motivated he'd be a good acquisition. Clarkson seems to be a very streaky player - he'll have a few months where he'll score in pretty much every game then hardly score again. Admittedly this kind of run with Dundee last season would probably have made him our top scorer.

I love Graham Carey, I'd be delighted if we signed him again. Clarkson I'm not too sure about, he'd maybe be a decent option but I wouldn't want to be relying on him for goals too much.

Hopefully an assistant will be announced soon and they can get a couple of signings in in the next coupe of weeks.

Is there anything more in the Carey and Clarkson stuff than someone saying it on Twitter?.

Probably not. Just a way of getting through a summer without football I suppose. I'm sure there are far more ridiculous rumours round the corner, probably originating from B&WA.

FWIW I'd take Clarkson in the championship in a heartbeat. However the chances of him coming to us are slim to nil.

I love Graham Carey, I'd be delighted if we signed him again. Clarkson I'm not too sure about, he'd maybe be a decent option but I wouldn't want to be relying on him for goals too much.

Hopefully an assistant will be announced soon and they can get a couple of signings in in the next coupe of weeks.

Clarkson is a million times better than sdme of the shite we've relied on goals for this season!

Aye, you'd have to chuckle if we actually managed to make better signings than last season despite relegation.

I wouldn't even be that surprised. If we sign more Marwoods and Balls then another relegation would be on the cards!

I don't get the Graham Carey love in.

He may do a job in the championship but we need to move on from these guys. I'm hoping that appointing a manager from the lower leagues might mean there are a few gems out there we can pick up.

I don't get the Graham Carey love in.

He may do a job in the championship but we need to move on from these guys. I'm hoping that appointing a manager from the lower leagues might mean there are a few gems out there we can pick up.

I'm not a fan of Graham Carey either and I think he was massively overrated by most Saints fans, but going on his early form for County he'd be a good signing at Championship level.

I'm not a fan of Graham Carey either and I think he was massively overrated by most Saints fans, but going on his early form for County he'd be a good signing at Championship level.

I think fans let his first spell with us cloud their judgement. Back then he looked a great prospect.

In the 2 seasons with us I think you could count with both hands the amount of superb games he had for us. Scored the odd spectacular goal but he didn't even have that many assists.

Here's a question. Carey or Wylde?

If you could melt both down into 1 player we'd be onto a winner.

Shaun Rooney, 18 year old Queen's Park centre-half is talking to us amongst other clubs. A poster on B&WA has the lad as an apprentice engineer and said that he has a few full-time clubs talking to him and we're one of them.

Any good? He was in the SPFL team of the year for league two this season and Queens have obviously churned out some pretty good talent in the last few seasons. It would be nice to see us snap up a good talented youngster for once.

Archived