St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

Aye, here's the info.

St Mirren have signed Paul McMullan on loan from Celtic.

The 19-year-old, who is a product of the Celtic Park youth set-up, has signed on loan until the end of the season.

Last season Paul played with Celtic’s Development League side as well as being on loan to Stenhousemuir over the second half of the season where he made 19 appearances and scored 3 goals. He was also part of the side who won last season’s Scottish FA Youth Cup.

Paul has also played for Celtic in the UEFA Youth League where he impressed against some top European sides. He has played up front in the various youth levels at Celtic but he has also impressed playing as a winger.

Paul and St Mirren manager Ian Murray will be at Paisley Museum at 1:00pm today for a press conference and to promote the ‘Back of the Net’ St Mirren exhibition.

Seems like a good signing. As has been pointed out, our last few Celtic loanees have all been brilliant for us (and 66% ended up signing for us permanently...)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a decent acquisition. For whatever reason, our youth system seems to produce a disproportionate paucity of good forwards, so a young player with potential coming in is progress.

Yep seems to be a good fit. Will hopefully provide a bit of pace and quality on the right flank and he can play upfront too.

Now a couple of defenders, a goalie/coach and a left sided player....

Played for stenhousemuir against East Fife last season in the play offs, www this guy is quick!!

Hmm. In St Mirren parlance, 'quick' is usually a euphemism for 'always offside'.

Seriously though, that's good to hear, We are seriously lacking pace anywhere on the park, and we need someone quick to stop defences just pushing right up on Thommo.

Paul McMullan is the most exciting player I've ever seen playing for Stenhousemuir. I wish him the very best of luck in the world at St Mirren and I hope he finishes up a better footballer. I'd love to see him get a chance at Celtic.

Paul McMullan is the most exciting player I've ever seen playing for Stenhousemuir. I wish him the very best of luck in the world at St Mirren and I hope he finishes up a better footballer. I'd love to see him get a chance at Celtic.

Cant argue with that kind of praise - lets hope he lives up to the hype.

Hmm. In St Mirren parlance, 'quick' is usually a euphemism for 'always offside'.

Seriously though, that's good to hear, We are seriously lacking pace anywhere on the park, and we need someone quick to stop defences just pushing right up on Thommo.

He's not the type of player who gets caught offside. He picks the ball up deep and runs at defenders and he is quick.

Apparently we paid you £200,000 to use the stadium and the promise of 2 players on loan for the season.

Not bad bit of business from St.Mirren

Apparently we paid you £200,000 to use the stadium and the promise of 2 players on loan for the season.

Excellent deal if true, I don't believe we received 200k though, not a chance.

What people need to realise is we don't have the bank facility to run up debt, the guys on our board aren't millionaires and can't afford to pump money into the club whenever it is needed. Hence why Motherwell and County totally outspent us in January to keep themselves in the top league. We had no choice but to sell our best player.

We need to find ways of raising cash in a legit manner. If Celtic were willing to pay that to rent our stadium and club shop then I can see why the board took the deal, they'd be mad not to. They could have been more open with the fans regarding the signage ect and Celtic could have shown a bit more respect but they have companies paying £££ to advertise sponsors ect.

As a fan it sticks in my craw but it isn't my responsibility to raise money for the club, I don't have that stress and its worth remembering these guys don't take a wage out of the club. It's funny seeing Motherwell,Hearts ( even if they have a different agenda ) and even some ( not all btw ) Morton fans have a pop considering their respective clubs finances over the years. As I said we don't have a sugar daddy ( no pun intended ) and don't have the bank facility to run up debt like these other clubs have been/are guilty of. We learnt the hard way in having to sell our home when not even having a fraction of the debt other clubs have had.

If true that's great work from the BoD and more than worth the flak.

200k does seem high though.

Outstanding deal if that's the case. Like I said, if we're playing in the play-offs next spring, nobody will remember the Celtic sign (or, more accurately, nobody will give a shit.)

The pervading rumour is that Tierney is the second player - but apparently we're not after any more midfielders. It'd be weird if we went for a young defender as our defence is still pretty inexperienced anyway.

There's still a lot for him to learn - his passing can sometimes be askew and his finishing lets him down - but make no mistake about it, he's the kind of player who'll bring you to the edge of your seat. Every time he got on the ball it looked as though something could happen. He's brilliant at running at players and putting them on the back foot. He's fast but he doesn't just use his pace to get by the opposition, he's very skillful and can skin them with a cute flick. His ability from free-kicks is superb too and he can really whip in a ball with speed and curl.

The only thing holding him back is his lack of stature - he's tiny - but he's got a big heart, he'll run and run for the team and he's got a superb touch.

Archived